Re: Player announcement at 5pm

SULLY34 wrote:
Alan G Bryant wrote:The Stevenage released list states clearly players either out of contract in June and/or released. Franks was offered a contract but turned them down, hence he was released.
True, he declined a new contract.
A number of points here. Firstly how do you know? That's not a trick question just interested. Bush posts why he believes he wasn't offered a new contract. I think Bush is wrong but because Bush has given full reason why he believes as he does those who choose can challenge this, those who read can make their own minds up.

Second point. If I put my house on the market and someone offers me a sum well below what I believe it to be worth, is it really an offer in anything but the technical sense? Even if you are correct is it not possible that the new offer he was given left him with no option but to turn it down? I don't understand if it was a reasonable offer why he didn't do what Labadie is doing to us and simply keep his options open instead of turning it down straight away.

Third point, hate as I do to agree with him but Loyalfoot's point is a good one. He is now a County player. How he came to be one is a bit academic and perhaps that is all that matters.

Whether he was released or turned down £5,000 a week to fulfil his only real childhood ambition to play for Newport County, he is our player now.

George Street-Bridge wrote:
Stan A. Einstein wrote: The point George is that if Franks is not as good as White then Newport County will all other things being equal not be as good next season as they were last season.
All other things cannot possibly be equal.
The latin term is ceteris paribus. It is a tool employed to make logical argument. One has to have a reference point in order to make any comment on progress or otherwise.

Clearly if one did not have such a reference point no argument on progress could be made. For instance, if I were to say that our quality of life is poorer because of the breakdown of the extended family without the concept of ceteris parabus you could logically argue I was wrong because of modern medicine and colour television.

So I have to say all other things being equal we are weaker without White because otherwise you could raise the logically flawed argument that we wouldn't be weaker without White if we were to sign a twenty goal a season striker.

Now do you want a serious debate or are you determined to merely make smart arse comments?

Stan A. Einstein wrote:
Whether he was released or turned down £5,000 a week to fulfil his only real childhood ambition to play for Newport County, he is our player now.

:lol: Very true but I’d hate to think he was as daft as you and I eh? :lol:
What this signing indicates to me though is that we’re not going to set the division alight again this year but then again I didn’t think we would. I’d settle for our position again this season but think that our campaign will be the usual struggle.

Alan G Bryant wrote:I can only go on what Mike Flynn said, of course , he could be lying , as could Franks, but I doubt it.

BBC sport
"I'm delighted Fraser's agreed to come to Newport County AFC having turned down a new deal at Stevenage," Newport manager Michael Flynn said.
Why would he lie?

You see I am happy to accept that whilst Michael Flynn might be mistaken he probably isn't. Odd isn't it? I ask why you believe something. You tell me and I am happy to accept that answer.

If you read my post all I said that on what I had seen either eventually but not both could be true. Unfortunate that you have introduced the concept of Michael Flynn telling lies. Nobody other than you has suggested that Flynn may be lying.

You are a genius Alan. Even when you are right you somehow contrive to f@ck it up.

George Street-Bridge wrote:LOL at Stan using Latin when he hasn't mastered when to use "its" and "it's".

Let me remind you.

My question was do you want to have a serious debate or do you wish to simply make smart arse comments.

Your reply read:

LOL at Stan using Latin when he hasn't mastered when to use "its"and "it's."

I have to commend you. Your reply for once is unambiguous.

Mr Figo wrote:Gents,

With all due respect this thread has been dragged out longer than necessary. The deal is done and we (and more importantly Franks) just need to get on with it now and play to the best of his ability - you never know he may surprise some of you!

Init!!! Just Welcome him back

All this guff :grin:

Stan A. Einstein wrote:
George Street-Bridge wrote:
Stan A. Einstein wrote: The point George is that if Franks is not as good as White then Newport County will all other things being equal not be as good next season as they were last season.
All other things cannot possibly be equal.
The latin term is ceteris paribus. It is a tool employed to make logical argument. One has to have a reference point in order to make any comment on progress or otherwise.

Clearly if one did not have such a reference point no argument on progress could be made. For instance, if I were to say that our quality of life is poorer because of the breakdown of the extended family without the concept of ceteris parabus you could logically argue I was wrong because of modern medicine and colour television.

So I have to say all other things being equal we are weaker without White because otherwise you could raise the logically flawed argument that we wouldn't be weaker without White if we were to sign a twenty goal a season striker.

Now do you want a serious debate or are you determined to merely make smart arse comments?
"The latin term is ceteris paribus. It is a tool ....."

You're the tool, this is just getting silly now.

Re: Player announcement at 5pm (Fraser Franks)

daftasfxxx wrote:Well I've just read this entire thread and i must say what a bunch of childish prats a few come across as, i hope any potential signings don't come on here first as it's more than likely put the fkers off
I wouldn't worry too much, the idea that players will be put off joining the club by childish prats on a message board is fairly far fetched.

If you read my post all I said was that Fraser Franks is a direct replacement for Ben White. I further said I wished him well and that he should be judged not on his past, either good or bad but on his performances. I agreed with Loyalfoot that it was probably for the best that we just wish him all the very best.

Developing the signings point I take the view that when judging the quality of signings the only valid way to do it is to look at who has left and who has replaced them. If the new signings are better than the ones going out then a team like us, last season the epitome of mid-table we could challenge. If those coming in are not as good we will struggle.

Please try reading my posts. It's all there. Those views seem to send some into paroxysm of either uncontrolled manic laughter or seething rage. I am beginning to worry that some of the posters on here need to take more holidays.

Sorry mate but the hyperbolic nonsense of screaming George Such and his not so merry men are not my responsibility.

Edit.

I should add that as to the point made by AlanGBriant that is one of the reasons so many topics on here go tits up. Nobody had at any point suggested that Michael Flynn was lying. Unfortunately there are casual readers of this board who will believe that this was said by someone. That was even giving Alan the benefit of the doubt a very silly thing to say.