Re: Even more good news

Back in May the Argus ran a headline 'Flynn closing in on targets'. Now whether Michael Flynn will take any notice of me I very much doubt. But if he were to ask my advice I would say that he would be better advised to say, I will only sign players who will improve my team and which the club can afford. I hope to do so soon but if it takes all summer so be it, I am determined to get it done right not to get it done quickly.

Had he said that in May he would have managed expectations. As it is all he has achieved is to heighten expectations and the ridicule is beginning to rise. For what it is worth I am not overly concerned about the absence of signings. Of concern is that Flynn is beginning to appear to be gung ho in his pronouncements. His seeming inability to learn and to repeat the same error time and again is slightly worrying.

Stan A. Einstein wrote:Back in May the Argus ran a headline 'Flynn closing in on targets'. Now whether Michael Flynn will take any notice of me I very much doubt. But if he were to ask my advice I would say that he would be better advised to say, I will only sign players who will improve my team and which the club can afford. I hope to do so soon but if it takes all summer so be it, I am determined to get it done right not to get it done quickly.

Had he said that in May he would have managed expectations. As it is all he has achieved is to heighten expectations and the ridicule is beginning to rise. For what it is worth I am not overly concerned about the absence of signings. Of concern is that Flynn is beginning to appear to be gung ho in his pronouncements. His seeming inability to learn and to repeat the same error time and again is slightly worrying.
I do not find it slightly worrying in the slightest, perhaps he was closing in on signings , perhaps he was let down, perhaps he met them and did not like their attitude. What is more worrying is your constant desire to dissect and criticise everything club officials do or say.

Ado wrote:Hilarious. I've just weeed myself.
Just as well for you we have also appointed a bladder control analyst on a 3 year deal.

Willy Leeke had this to say, "I've worked at a lot of top sports teams, but the prospects of improving Ado's dribble control was too good to turn down".

Alan G Bryant wrote:
Stan A. Einstein wrote:Back in May the Argus ran a headline 'Flynn closing in on targets'. Now whether Michael Flynn will take any notice of me I very much doubt. But if he were to ask my advice I would say that he would be better advised to say, I will only sign players who will improve my team and which the club can afford. I hope to do so soon but if it takes all summer so be it, I am determined to get it done right not to get it done quickly.

I do not find it slightly worrying in the slightest, perhaps he was closing in on signings , perhaps he was let down, perhaps he met them and did not like their attitude. What is more worrying is your constant desire to dissect and criticise everything club officials do or say.
Alan,

It is a golden rule of business to under promise and over achieve.

Let me explain.

If I say I will deliver a piece of work on Friday and I complete the work on Thursday my customer, clent, employer, etc will be pleased that I am early.

If I say I will deliver the work on Tuesday but instead deliver on Wednesday my customer, client, employer, etc will be annoyed that I am late.

But just stop for a moment. In my second scenario, where the client etc is annoyed my performance has been better than in the first scenario where my client etc is pleased.

I am really sorry that your obvious devotion to Newport County has made you lose all objectivity.

Yours, more in sorrow than in anger,

Stan.

Exile 1976 wrote:In fairness Brendan, Flynny didn't promise anything.
He raised the expectations which amounts to the same thing. People like Briant will never get this. Not because they are bad people but because they believe that the only way to support the club is to argue that everything ever done by the club is right.

If you look at this thread and others a few people are beginning to make jokes at Flynn's and the club's expense. If the season starts badly it will not take long for the knives to come out. You can choose if you wish not to believe this but I want the club to succeed. I therefore have to want Flynn to succeed, I want the board of directors to be successful. However I use this message board to comment and if I think that anyone involved with Newport County is in error I will say so.

For me it is a fault of Michael Flynn that he sometimes takes a gung ho approach. It concerns me that he doesn't seem to learn from this. That's all.

Stan A. Einstein wrote:
Exile 1976 wrote:In fairness Brendan, Flynny didn't promise anything.
He raised the expectations which amounts to the same thing. People like Briant will never get this. Not because they are bad people but because they believe that the only way to support the club is to argue that everything ever done by the club is right.

If you look at this thread and others a few people are beginning to make jokes at Flynn's and the club's expense. If the season starts badly it will not take long for the knives to come out. You can choose if you wish not to believe this but I want the club to succeed. I therefore have to want Flynn to succeed, I want the board of directors to be successful. However I use this message board to comment and if I think that anyone involved with Newport County is in error I will say so.

For me it is a fault of Michael Flynn that he sometimes takes a gung ho approach. It concerns me that he doesn't seem to learn from this. That's all.

He didn't though. The headline (that has nothing to do with Flynn whasoever) was 'Exiles Boss Closing in on New Signings'
then the following was quoted from Flynny.
He is waiting for a response from the trio (Tozer, Labadie and Nouble) and has also been in discussions with potential new recruits.
“Hopefully we’ll have some news soon,” said the Exiles boss.
“I’m talking to new players and we’re still waiting on one or two things with the ones we’ve offered contracts to. We’re going to find out very soon.
“Contractually you’ve got to give them a month. That’s the Football League rules.
“If they come back to us and turn it down or accept it before that then great, at least you know where you are.

That's hardly him promising new signings asap. He said he was talking to new players. That was more to do with the three offered new deals and sure enough, 3 days later Tozer left and Nouble followed a week or so later.

In his interview our new signing Fraser Franks says that he had been in talks with Flynny since the end of the season.

Exile 1976 wrote:

.......... been in discussions with potential new recruits.
“I’m talking to new players and we’re still waiting on one or two things .......We’re going to find out very soon.

That's hardly him promising new signings asap.

It is raising expectations. My view is that if Flynn were not talking to players, well their agents but that's not his fault, he would be unique in League management.

I think as I said above that Flynn should merely say that he is doing his job and will sign the players he needs, at a price we can afford and that it is more important it is done well than quickly he would be far better advised.

If you say 'I'm talking to new players' combined with 'we're hoping to find out very soon' then the inference three weeks later is that you are either wrong about hearing things soon or that you have heard and the answer wasn't what you wanted.

I suspect that all managers have targets. I suspect that all managers miss out on some, perhaps all of those whom they would in an ideal world sign. Better I think by far to announce real signings than raise expectations.

Stan A. Einstein wrote:
Exile 1976 wrote:

.......... been in discussions with potential new recruits.
“I’m talking to new players and we’re still waiting on one or two things .......We’re going to find out very soon.

That's hardly him promising new signings asap.

It is raising expectations. My view is that if Flynn were not talking to players, well their agents but that's not his fault, he would be unique in League management.

I think as I said above that Flynn should merely say that he is doing his job and will sign the players he needs, at a price we can afford and that it is more important it is done well than quickly he would be far better advised.

If you say 'I'm talking to new players' combined with 'we're hoping to find out very soon' then the inference three weeks later is that you are either wrong about hearing things soon or that you have heard and the answer wasn't what you wanted.

I suspect that all managers have targets. I suspect that all managers miss out on some, perhaps all of those whom they would in an ideal world sign. Better I think by far to announce real signings than raise expectations.

Sorry, but to me the inference of "we'll find out soon" was clearly about the three that had been offered new deals seeing as he followed that up with "Contractually you’ve got to give them a month. That’s the Football League rules.
“If they come back to us and turn it down or accept it before that then great, at least you know where you are" ...

Exile 1976 wrote:

Sorry, but to me the inference of "we'll find out soon" was clearly about the three that had been offered new deals seeing as he followed that up with "Contractually you’ve got to give them a month. That’s the Football League rules.
“If they come back to us and turn it down or accept it before that then great, at least you know where you are" ...
No need to apologize. You take one view, I take another. For me that is the purpose of a message board, to discuss a mutual passion. If I'm honest there are very few people living in the northwest of Ireland who are prepared to have long conversations about Newport County. :grin: