Re: Labadie

George Street-Bridge wrote:Any club should ask "What's in it for us if we..." and apply that to all the scenarios.

The only two that make sense for me are parting ways and offering two years. Maybe just the fact an offer of any sort is on the table is itself a message that recovery is going well.
Or that club likes to be seen to be "doing the right thing" by the greater public But Labadie is a player who when "fit and firing" could command financial bids from further up the food chain. So a contract provided he returns to the form of pre-injury is a financial no-brainer for County (and conversely if he doesn't recover from his injury, a safety net for the player)...

Ive not problem with the delay over Labadie. End of the day if he had suffered that injury he was leaving. I wonder how many plans were put in place in regards to his family on the basis of potentially moving. Huge decision for Labadie now whether to accept a deal (which should be a lot lower than original offer or any other offers that were in the pipeline) or just leave and go without pay for a few months. Personally the ideal situation is probably a one year deal on much lower terms.

Also I don't see the delay being an issue for the club anyway. Hes not available till possibly December anyway so the club should be looking at targets to start the season and if Labadie does turn us down its the chance to have more money later in the season where unrealistic targets now might be available.

George Street-Bridge wrote:Any club should ask "What's in it for us if we..." and apply that to all the scenarios.
Agree in part. Before his injury Labidie was holding out on the contract he had been offered. He had every right to do so. His first duty is to himself and his family. No criticism can be made of the player holding out for the best possible deal.

It follows that Newport County likewise can do the same. Had he signed in March prior to his injury Newport County would rightly have taken the financial hit. As it is having chosen not to sign County are under no obligation to show him any loyalty over and above the normal courtesies.

Stan A. Einstein wrote:
Agree in part. Before his injury Labidie was holding out on the contract he had been offered. He had every right to do so. His first duty is to himself and his family. No criticism can be made of the player holding out for the best possible deal.

It follows that Newport County likewise can do the same. Had he signed in March prior to his injury Newport County would rightly have taken the financial hit. As it is having chosen not to sign County are under no obligation to show him any loyalty over and above the normal courtesies.
Totally agree with that and I reckon we deserve an answer soon so that the manager can finalise his plans, I don’t get the “ give him a monthly contract “ idea - on that system he convalesces on our dollar and then can go to the highest bidder when fit. Not exactly great for us is it?

lowandhard wrote:
Stan A. Einstein wrote:

Totally agree with that and I reckon we deserve an answer soon so that the manager can finalise his plans, I don’t get the “ give him a monthly contract “ idea - on that system he convalesces on our dollar and then can go to the highest bidder when fit. Not exactly great for us is it?
honestly thought we should have had his answer already,not helping flynny and not helping himself,hope hes not trying to hold us to ransom

Bush wrote:The manager is willing to sign a player not fit for months. How is the delay affecting us? Don’t get that.
Well imho if he’s not signing ( and I’m not sure I’d be bothered anyway as he’s taken so long to decide ) Flynny would know he’s got another salary to bring in another player, so in that way it affects us.

Bush wrote:The manager is willing to sign a player not fit for months. How is the delay affecting us? Don’t get that.
In addition to what highandwide says it is a case of the tail wagging the dog. You can only negotiate properly if those you are negotiating with know that you are able to walk away.

At present County are like some 16 year old lad who's asked the school beauty out on a date. This Venus made flesh then says. "Maybe, I'll let you know later, you never know I wouldn't want to say yes until I'm sure nobody better asks me out."

I still cringe at my youthful stupidity of nearly half a century ago, hate to see my club doing it now.

Stan A. Einstein wrote:
In addition to what highandwide says it is a case of the tail wagging the dog. You can only negotiate properly if those you are negotiating with know that you are able to walk away.

At present County are like some 16 year old lad who's asked the school beauty out on a date. This Venus made flesh then says. "Maybe, I'll let you know later, you never know I wouldn't want to say yes until I'm sure nobody better asks me out."

I still cringe at my youthful stupidity of nearly half a century ago, hate to see my club doing it now.
Sounds like I raked up some bad memories Stan - sorry about that :lol:

OLDCROMWELLIAN wrote:
Exile 1976 wrote:Flynny already knows if Labadie is signing or not.
How can you be so sure?
knowing what was said when they last spoke is one thing, but players have been known to change their mind haven't they?
This is the last news I can find and it seems there’s a few comments querying the wisdom of letting things drift. If we have committed to him perhaps he should now reciprocate, he must have shopped around by now surely?
http://www.southwalesargus.co.uk/sport/ ... s_Labadie/

Stan A. Einstein wrote:
Mr Figo wrote:
Sounds like I raked up some bad memories Stan - sorry about that :lol:
Yip. :oops:

Then again in my dreams I am 16 again and know then what I know now. That's a good dream, it really is. 8)
Probably a better stronger eleven as well without knowing the year :wink: