Re: Labidie

newgroundrodney wrote:
Mr Figo wrote:What is happening with his contract offer? Have I missed something and has he signed yet?
I believe we're still waiting.... I must say, Labadie, Franks, & Matt is quite a good prospect! Let's hope he stays eh!
When the old club was in free fall I remember a chap called Mike Saxelby. At least I think that was his name. Anyway he had been a central defender at Middlesbrough or somewhere like that. His career had stumbled after a bad injury The one summer he joined County but said if a bigger club comes in for me I am off. Well someone did and off he went, before the season started and was never heard of again.

The point of this story was that not only did Saxelby think he was bigger than the club, evidently the club thought he was as well. Yeah, you can train with us and get fit, the job is yours if nothing better comes along. Newport County were then in free fall and that incident clearly showed why.

If it were my decision I would now say to Labadie "You are a really good player and not withstanding your injury we would like to keep you. But you've had your month so either sign now or goodbye." My view and I suspect I will get slated for saying this but kowtowing to any player is fatal for the club and makes us look second rate.

Stan A. Einstein wrote:
newgroundrodney wrote:
Mr Figo wrote:What is happening with his contract offer? Have I missed something and has he signed yet?
I believe we're still waiting.... I must say, Labadie, Franks, & Matt is quite a good prospect! Let's hope he stays eh!
When the old club was in free fall I remember a chap called Mike Saxelby. At least I think that was his name. Anyway he had been a central defender at Middlesbrough or somewhere like that. His career had stumbled after a bad injury The one summer he joined County but said if a bigger club comes in for me I am off. Well someone did and off he went, before the season started and was never heard of again.

The point of this story was that not only did Saxelby think he was bigger than the club, evidently the club thought he was as well. Yeah, you can train with us and get fit, the job is yours if nothing better comes along. Newport County were then in free fall and that incident clearly showed why.

If it were my decision I would now say to Labadie "You are a really good player and not withstanding your injury we would like to keep you. But you've had your month so either sign now or goodbye." My view and I suspect I will get slated for saying this but kowtowing to any player is fatal for the club and makes us look second rate.

.... true. Do you know when his "month" is due to end?

George Street-Bridge wrote:Saxby, he joined us from Luton and left for Boro. I recall he turned at the speed of a supertanker.

http://www.neilbrown.newcastlefans.com/ ... saxby.html

Edit: I would do the same with Labadie and it would surprise me if we haven't.
I remember Saxby at Luton (during their days in the top flight IIRC).... blonde boy, looked a bit like Ashley Grimes if it's the guy I'm thinking of.

EDIT : looking at some old Luton team photos he seems a lot darker haired than I remember..... I don't think he was ever one of their major players, not like Hill, Fuccillo, Futcher at al.
Last edited by newgroundrodney on June 21st, 2018, 8:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

George Street-Bridge wrote:Saxby, he joined us from Luton and left for Boro. I recall he turned at the speed of a supertanker.

http://www.neilbrown.newcastlefans.com/ ... saxby.html

Edit: I would do the same with Labadie and it would surprise me if we haven't.
Odd how the memory plays tricks. Not only had I misremembered his name I have no recall of him ever playing for us.

On the point though I would hope you're right about the club having already given Labadie the ultimatum.

Percy plunkett wrote:His contract is up on the 30th,not sure if we have to give another month,so he could have no money coming in after next weekend.That will make his mind up.
I would imagine (this is therefore an opinion and if someone knows better I will readily concede.) that players have their contract paid up at the end of the season. Also if a player signs on the first of August before a ball has been kicked I doubt he would be paid less than had he signed in June. In terms players are paid per season not per month. When they are paid, weekly, monthly, quarterly I don't have the slightest clue.

Again I don't know this and will happily defer to anyone who does know, but I can't imagine that the month doesn't run from anything other than when the offer is tabled.

19. Severance
19.1 If the Player shall not make an application to an Employment Tribunal for
compensation in respect of unfair dismissal or redundancy as a result of
not being offered a new contract either on terms at least as favourable as
under this contract or at all, then the following provisions of this clause 19
shall take effect.
19.2 If by the expiry of this contract the Club has not made to the Player an
offer of re-engagement on terms at least as favourable to the Player as
those applicable over the last twelve months of this contract (or the length
of this contract if shorter) then subject to clauses 19.1 and 19.3 the Player
shall continue to receive from his Club (as a separate payment representing
compensation as more particularly referred to in the Code of Practice) a
payment equal to his weekly basic wage (at the average amount of his
weekly wage over the preceding 12 months of this contract or the whole
of this contract if shorter) for a period of one month from the expiry of this
contract or until the Player signs for another club, whichever period is the
shorter, provided that where the Player signs for another club within that
period of one month at a lower basic wage than such average then such
payment shall in addition include a sum equal to the shortfall in such basic
wage for the remainder of such period;
19.3 The maximum amount payable to the Player under sub-clause 19.2 is double
the maximum sum which an Employment Tribunal can award from time to
time as a compensatory award for unfair dismissal.

Stan A. Einstein wrote:
newgroundrodney wrote:

Whilst I would agree with the principle of a "time-limited" offer to any player up for contract renewal I think County would be seen in a poor light not to agree to a month-by-month contract whilst Labadie is undergoing rehab from an injury incurred whilst under County's employ...