Another thought

Looking at the world cup match statistics and comparing those stat's to the games I have seen I did begin to wonder whether a far more meaningful statistic than the percentage of possession might be the percentage of possession in the opponents half. It appears to me that teams taking a bit of a pasting tend to try to slow down the game by holding the ball in their own half.

Just a thought, as ever I am interested in the views of others.

Re: Another thought

Stan A. Einstein wrote:Looking at the world cup match statistics and comparing those stat's to the games I have seen I did begin to wonder whether a far more meaningful statistic than the percentage of possession might be the percentage of possession in the opponents half. It appears to me that teams taking a bit of a pasting tend to try to slow down the game by holding the ball in their own half.

Just a thought, as ever I am interested in the views of others.
Pass completion and Possession in the opponents final third are good indicators for a teams strength. However most of this data isn’t freely available.

Re: Another thought

Stan A. Einstein wrote:
lowandhard wrote:
Amberexile wrote:If you are looking to get an overall impression of a game in the blink of an eye, the average player position graphic is good.
Sorry to show publicly ( yet again ) my ignorance, which sites show such information?

BBC sports.
Whoscored.com has good stuff too