Re: Labadie future to be decided this week

Stan A. Einstein wrote:
Exile 1976 wrote:Flynny said he wanted it done either way by the end of last week, we haven't been able to agree a deal, he should withdraw the offer now and look for someone else.
I agree. If Labadie gets a better deal he will go. If not he can return to us. I would be very clear. I would say goodbye, good luck and thank you.

If come August he hasn't secured a better offer we should offer him a deal. My only proviso is that it would not be as good a deal as he is being offered now. I know that he is a folk hero but Michael Flynn is looking weak and desperate.

I agree that the offer should be withdrawn and should he not find a club and wants to come back then yes, but on a lower deal.

I don't blame Labadie for any of this. He's been offered a deal, what deal we don't know, but he obviously feels he is worth more than we are offering. With his age/injury record this will probably be his last 'big' deal.
I think Flynny naively thinks that by praising Labs and telling him he's really wanted is going to get him change his mind and sign a new deal.
As much as i want him to stay, i think we've got to cut our losses.

I was going to post the same thing as a few have posted recently but didn't bother until now because I couldnt be arsed to upset the 'few' who jump on my every post as being negative :wink:

MF does indeed need to ACT NOW with regards to Labadie....Tell him to sign the deal within the next 48 hours or the contract offer will be withdrawn and we will move on.All this , 'we have to do the right thing by the player' doesn't wash with me. Injuries are part and parcel of the game. I feel sorry for the lad that he is out long term injured but he is still being paid his full wages by the club one month after his contract has run out. He had the chance to sign a two year extension when the club offered him a new deal but he obviously thinks he can do better elsewhere, hence he never signed it. Is he showing loyalty to the club ?? Good luck to the lad if he can get a better deal but as they say ' the grass isn't always greener on the other side of the fence' Look at LJL...took two years wages off us whilst being injured for most of his time here. Moved on for better money but sends his time getting splinters in his arse at Shrewsbury as he hardly ever plays ( minutes per game if he is lucky a week). He could have stayed and would probably been the main attacking option for us and could have got a better deal elsewhere. Loyalty...not a word used in Football anymore
Labadie is replaceable on the wages I believe he is on or wanting and MF needs do this for the good of the team. As much as he says we are a better side when Labadie plays you only have to see the amount of games he missed through injury and suspensions to realise you cant build your side around him. Great player when he plays but no good when he is sat in the stands suspended or injured.
Thanks Josh for your efforts but sorry, goodbye and best of luck in your future

Exile 1976 wrote:I don't blame Labadie for any of this. He's been offered a deal, what deal we don't know, but he obviously feels he is worth more than we are offering. With his age/injury record this will probably be his last 'big' deal.
I think Flynny naively thinks that by praising Labs and telling him he's really wanted is going to get him change his mind and sign a new deal.
As much as i want him to stay, i think we've got to cut our losses.
What I do wonder, and genuinely wonder, is how many clubs sign a player who is at the time currently injured?....are there likely to be many / any that actually want him in that condition?

There is no way Labs will be fit for October.It's unlikely for Christmas,Febuary or March is the likely date.Even if he signs,we will need another player on a one year deal to cover for him as a short term contract wouldn't get the right man.If he did get fit by Christmas,then loan someone out to reduce costs.Therefore,he can take as long as he likes to make his mind up as it shouldn't effect MF's planning.We pay him to end of July only so that will make his mind up for him.

Yeah - this could potentially backfire on MF - his tactics have been questioned towards the end of the season and now we have "difficult decisions" turning into indecision. No doubt he is a motivator but that was a year ago and you can't keep dining out on that alone. Clinical decision making both tactically and in management is require and the first period of this season will be huge for him in terms of his career. Thankfully, the signings he has made pre-season look promising so a large degree of what happens to us this season will come down to him as a manager.

This is our situation as I see it.

We made an offer. That offer was valid for a month and has now lapsed as Labadie has not accepted it.
We are paying him for the month of July, although I think we should look into whether we really have to under the terms of our contract.
Labadie is a free agent now so he is not restricted by the transfer window. He can sign for any club at any time depending on the progress of his rehabilitation.
At some point he may decide that we are his best bet and come back looking for a deal. What deal, if any, we offer him at that time will be decided then.
In the meantime Flynn needs to put together a squad without him and Labadie must accept that each player we sign reduces the chances of him getting any deal with us this season.

Amberexile wrote:This is our situation as I see it.

We made an offer. That offer was valid for a month and has now lapsed as Labadie has not accepted it.
We are paying him for the month of July, although I think we should look into whether we really have to under the terms of our contract.
Labadie is a free agent now so he is not restricted by the transfer window. He can sign for any club at any time depending on the progress of his rehabilitation.
At some point he may decide that we are his best bet and come back looking for a deal. What deal, if any, we offer him at that time will be decided then.
In the meantime Flynn needs to put together a squad without him and Labadie must accept that each player we sign reduces the chances of him getting any deal with us this season.

True, cos even the lad from Evesham who has been offered a trial, if successful, if signing a contract will take up one slot in a rapidly filling up playing squad.
If we start loaning players out who haven't yet had a chance to shine, in order to make room for others, we could be looking at problems. Let's get the right people in first time.

In January we signed a player who was not fit in Sheehan. The likelihood is if he was fit he wouldn't have signed for us. We have now invested in him and have a fantastic player ready to go this season. People on here said we shouldn't have offered him a deal if he wasn't fit. I disagreed. Similar to Labadie who if fit would not be playing for Newport county next season. We now have a situation where we can sign him and from January will have what will feel like a new player ready to go. Doesn't matter how long it takes him to make his decision because him signing has no effect on our summer plans anyway. Im sure when the club stop paying his wages we will have a decision anyway.

newgroundrodney wrote:
Amberexile wrote:This is our situation as I see it.

True, cos even the lad from Evesham who has been offered a trial, if successful, if signing a contract will take up one slot in a rapidly filling up playing squad.
If we start loaning players out who haven't yet had a chance to shine, in order to make room for others, we could be looking at problems. Let's get the right people in first time.
If the trial is a success we are still looking at a player who probably wont be ready next season. like I said 12 months ago about Reynolds. These players that come from the farmers leagues take months to adapt to being full time professionals.

Latest quotes from Flynn on Labadie. Pretty standard stuff really -

“There’s nothing to say at the moment,” said the manager. “He’s not signed a contract, he’s a free agent and I’ll be spending my budget on players that I need to get in.

“It is what it is. There’s no problem there and, like I’ve said before, until he goes anywhere [else] I won’t rule anything out. But at the moment nothing is happening and he’s a free agent.”

Flynn added: “He’s a very good professional and he’s working hard to get back as soon as he can.

“He’s a great lad and he’s never been a problem. He’s still doing his rehab here. He hasn’t gone anywhere.

“He’s not holding us to ransom. I’ll still be signing players and if that means the budget’s gone then the budget’s gone.”