Re: Labadie future to be decided this week

wattsville_boy wrote:We are now at a point where the time to sign that contract has run out. If County were sensible they would have written as part of that contract extension some subsection where no further payment is made beyond the end of the contract signing window (an to regad sue us if you wish). Labadie should now be left to fund his recovery from injury himself and should be considered an ex-County player. No further offers, no offers to use the facilities or staff to assist in his recovery (unless he is willing to pay the going rate for private care. Thank you for your past efforts. Now piss off!!
AFAIK if he doesn't get another deal we have to keep paying him for July - and as he's injured, it would be mad for any club he might join not to encourage him to keep collecting his wages from us for July. But strongly agree about withdrawing training and other support if that's contractually possible.

I am not quite sure what to make of this one. It would appear that there doesn't appear (publicly in any case) to be much happening. Both sides jockeying for position.

I suspect that a compromise deal may be about to happen. Along the lines of, carry on using the club facilities, when you are ready, we give you a game by game or monthly contract with the understanding that both sides will come to an agreement as soon as possible after fitness has been established.

Now, I admit I most certainly do not understand the complexity of contract negotiations, and I could be completely wrong but this seems the common sense approach to me. The downside of this (for Labs anyway) is that he would not be earning for some time. Then again, what did common sense have to do with modern football?

George Street-Bridge wrote:
wattsville_boy wrote:We are now at a point where the time to sign that contract has run out. If County were sensible they would have written as part of that contract extension some subsection where no further payment is made beyond the end of the contract signing window (an to regad sue us if you wish). Labadie should now be left to fund his recovery from injury himself and should be considered an ex-County player. No further offers, no offers to use the facilities or staff to assist in his recovery (unless he is willing to pay the going rate for private care. Thank you for your past efforts. Now piss off!!
AFAIK if he doesn't get another deal we have to keep paying him for July - and as he's injured, it would be mad for any club he might join not to encourage him to keep collecting his wages from us for July. But strongly agree about withdrawing training and other support if that's contractually possible.
The if he doesn't get another deal part has an interesting wrinkle. The contractual clause begins -

"If by the expiry of this contract the Club has not made to the Player an offer of re-engagement on terms at least as favourable to the Player as those applicable over the last twelve months of this contract..."

So if our initial offer to Labadie was on equal or better terms than his original contract and he didn't accept it, we could be able to argue that we don't have to pay him for July.

As far as medical treatment is concerned, we will be contractually obliged to provide any medical examinations and/or prescribed treatment for a period of 18 months after expiry of his contract where the necessity arose during the currency of the contract. So since he was injured while under contract we have to continue to pay for his treatment.

pembsexile wrote:I am not quite sure what to make of this one. It would appear that there doesn't appear (publicly in any case) to be much happening. Both sides jockeying for position.

I suspect that a compromise deal may be about to happen. Along the lines of, carry on using the club facilities, when you are ready, we give you a game by game or monthly contract with the understanding that both sides will come to an agreement as soon as possible after fitness has been established.

Now, I admit I most certainly do not understand the complexity of contract negotiations, and I could be completely wrong but this seems the common sense approach to me. The downside of this (for Labs anyway) is that he would not be earning for some time. Then again, what did common sense have to do with modern football?
Wouldn’t that arrangement though be perfect for the player while giving us no advantage at all? He could bide his time getting fit on our dollar then flip to the highest wage bidder - not exactly a great deal for us!

lowandhard wrote:
pembsexile wrote:I am not quite sure what to make of this one. It would appear that there doesn't appear (publicly in any case) to be much happening. Both sides jockeying for position.

Wouldn’t that arrangement though be perfect for the player while giving us no advantage at all? He could bide his time getting fit on our dollar then flip to the highest wage bidder - not exactly a great deal for us!
It's certainly not perfect I agree. What it does do is show Labs our commitment to him, keeps him in contact with the squad and gives us an advantage in preliminary negotiations. MF will be keeping an eye on his progress and will know better than anyone what the future holds for him/us.

However, if as you say he ups sticks after getting fit, then he is not the sort of person we want. Somewhere along the line, there has to be an element of trust and camaraderie between the club and the player. We'll see what happens. I will try and not be too cynical just yet! Time will tell.

pembsexile wrote:
lowandhard wrote:

It's certainly not perfect I agree. What it does do is show Labs our commitment to him, keeps him in contact with the squad and gives us an advantage in preliminary negotiations. MF will be keeping an eye on his progress and will know better than anyone what the future holds for him/us.

However, if as you say he ups sticks after getting fit, then he is not the sort of person we want. Somewhere along the line, there has to be an element of trust and camaraderie between the club and the player. We'll see what happens. I will try and not be too cynical just yet! Time will tell.

This is kind of touching on my point earlier in the topic.... we get to Dec/Jan with half a season to go, with a fit Joss Labadie, with all to play for as a club, and with him having everything to play for personally to maybe attract a new club.... does anyone really think a fit Labadie in January playing out of his skin is not a good asset, a good arrow to have in our quiver? Plus we'd know we'd done everything right by the lad too. One year deal, finishing on a high to attract his next club. I'm sorry, but to me, a fit and on form Joss Labadie at the business end of the season, keeping us up, or helping us to GO up could prove to be a bargain........even at a whole year's wages for half a year's 'work'.

A few points.

Presumably the medical treatment is covered by insurance.

Secondly whether Labadie should be offered a new deal after his injury is the decision of the manager. If he is offered a new contract the remuneration offered is a matter for the board. Both matters can of course be debated. For once I agree with George, I don't have enough information to make a valid contribution.

However last Monday's Argus made it quite clear that it was decision time for both Labadie and the club. Well a week has gone by and we still wait. Hopefully we will be informed tomorrow. I am not sure I can stand another nine months of anyone considering their position. :grin:

Stan A. Einstein wrote:A few points.

Presumably the medical treatment is covered by insurance.

Secondly whether Labadie should be offered a new deal after his injury is the decision of the manager. If he is offered a new contract the remuneration offered is a matter for the board. Both matters can of course be debated. For once I agree with George, I don't have enough information to make a valid contribution.

However last Monday's Argus made it quite clear that it was decision time for both Labadie and the club. Well a week has gone by and we still wait. Hopefully we will be informed tomorrow. I am not sure I can stand another nine months of anyone considering their position. :grin:
I'm not sure that's true, but as others have said, it's past the time now so we move on....... Assume he's gone unless they say otherwise.

daftasfxxx wrote:
Stan A. Einstein wrote:He has always been out of contract from 30 June. He has been offered a new contract. He has not signed. If he wishes to he can refuse to sign but say to the club if I am still free I might be persuaded to sign a new contract in August, or September, or even January.

My view is that the club should say that we have to make plans for the best possible future for our club. If you don't sign now we will not under any circumstances offer you a contract later.

I accept that an argument can be made that to do that would be to cut off our nose to spite our face. However my view remains that if we allow any player to dictate to the club then the harm that does is greater than losing any single player.

I don't like Alex Ferguson particularly. But any player who crossed him, David Beckham, Roy Keane were out of the door faster than you couldn't say Jack Robinson. And he was successful and no matter how much I didn't like him, he was right.
Exactly, as much as i want labs to stay, he's had enough time to agree and its time to show or go.no player is bigger than our club
Unfortunately Labadie is bigger than the club. Shameful and embarrassing.

Exile 1976 wrote:Flynny said he wanted it done either way by the end of last week, we haven't been able to agree a deal, he should withdraw the offer now and look for someone else.
I agree. If Labadie gets a better deal he will go. If not he can return to us. I would be very clear. I would say goodbye, good luck and thank you.

If come August he hasn't secured a better offer we should offer him a deal. My only proviso is that it would not be as good a deal as he is being offered now. I know that he is a folk hero but Michael Flynn is looking weak and desperate.