County in the 80’s

Newport County natter & football chatter.
no avatar
User

Percy plunkett

Posts

1952

Re: County in the 80’s

Postby Percy plunkett » June 28th, 2018, 11:07 pm

I remember someone giving Aldo stick and I telling him that with his pace and potential he could play at the top level.The guy said I was nuts,nothing changes as people still say it to me.Mind you I had the same reaction when I said Darren Peacock would play at a higher level.Perhaps I should have been a manager,oh yes I also said Byron Anthony was a good signing after FGR stuffed us 5-0.I got the same comment about my sanity then also.
no avatar
User

Threadbare

Posts

129

Re: County in the 80’s

Postby Threadbare » June 28th, 2018, 11:09 pm

Crikey Percy. Don't recommend any of our current squad. 2 broken legs out of that 3 !
no avatar
User

OLDCROMWELLIAN

Posts

413

Location

TrefGruffydd

Re: County in the 80’s

Postby OLDCROMWELLIAN » June 28th, 2018, 11:12 pm

Threadbare wrote:The era in question had , for me, everything. great side, big crowds, same division as other "bigger" Welsh teams. Somerton Park was a dump, but as a former player keeps saying to me, "but it was our dump". Many of the players loved playing there.It also had snack bars that mostly didn't open, the ability to walk around the ground to the end we were attacking. and the iconic kit.
I can remember more players from that era, ours , and the opponents than from any other time since 1964 upto the current day.

Nostalgia . It's not what it used to be !!
no avatar
User

Corpaboy

Posts

3493

Re: County in the 80’s

Postby Corpaboy » June 28th, 2018, 11:49 pm

Derby .......... they came over the wall ......
no avatar
User

Stan A. Einstein

Posts

9725

Re: County in the 80’s

Postby Stan A. Einstein » June 29th, 2018, 12:09 am

Threadbare wrote:I maybe wrong but didn't someone like Rotherham win the choir competition . Liverpool were in it !


From memory I am pretty sure it was Rotherham who won. Sadly our efforts were perhaps a little lacking.
no avatar
User

County ranger

Posts

521

Re: County in the 80’s

Postby County ranger » June 29th, 2018, 7:42 pm

pembsexile wrote:Just my opinion but I think the era of the early 80's are unlikely ever to be repeated at a club like ours. Some of the players we had just have to go up there are the best that have ever played for the County. Oakes, Lowndes, Vaughan, Moore, Aldridge, Tynan would probably get into any 'greatest ever' team. What memories.

I remember standing on the terrace beside the grandstand (just above the smelly bogs) listening to the abuse given to John Aldridge when he first arrived. It was awful to hear. Didn't last long though and he soon won them over. Cannon and Ball were the top Tv show at the time and their favourite catchphrase was used consistently for my favourite ever player - Rock on Tommy. Great times.

I agree great players and a great manager but what with hindsight sticks out is the financial stability we owned th3 ground and paid something like £20k / £25k for Tynan would struggle to make that fee today (let alone the Johnson / Waddle fees) maybe players get paid more today but what I think is killing football clubs financially now is the size of squad - this period was great you knew your first team and they played week in week out and one sub.
no avatar
User

mad norm

Posts

4856

Location

In a Station Lane not as long as Warnhams

Re: County in the 80’s

Postby mad norm » June 29th, 2018, 7:46 pm

County ranger wrote:
pembsexile wrote:Just my opinion but I think the era of the early 80's are unlikely ever to be repeated at a club like ours. Some of the players we had just have to go up there are the best that have ever played for the County. Oakes, Lowndes, Vaughan, Moore, Aldridge, Tynan would probably get into any 'greatest ever' team. What memories.

I remember standing on the terrace beside the grandstand (just above the smelly bogs) listening to the abuse given to John Aldridge when he first arrived. It was awful to hear. Didn't last long though and he soon won them over. Cannon and Ball were the top Tv show at the time and their favourite catchphrase was used consistently for my favourite ever player - Rock on Tommy. Great times.

I agree great players and a great manager but what with hindsight sticks out is the financial stability we owned th3 ground and paid something like £20k / £25k for Tynan would struggle to make that fee today (let alone the Johnson / Waddle fees) maybe players get paid more today but what I think is killing football clubs financially now is the size of squad - this period was great you knew your first team and they played week in week out and one sub.


And nobody had heard of hamstrings or cruciate ligaments
no avatar
User

frostyjohn

Posts

188

Re: County in the 80’s

Postby frostyjohn » June 29th, 2018, 9:36 pm

Two away games I attended in the 80's summed up the good and the bad for me. Firstly beating Shrewsbury 0 v 3 in the second leg of the Welsh Cup Final. A truly joyous never to be forgotten occasion. Secondly losing to Telford 3 v 0 a game that many thought would not get played and signalled the end of existence. Ironically my recollection of the Telford game is that we started off looking the more professional side but then .......
no avatar
User

llanwern exile

Posts

17

Re: County in the 80’s

Postby llanwern exile » June 30th, 2018, 11:42 am

The year we blew promotion to div 2 over the easter period going to oxford on the football special on easter Saturday and being herded like cattle to and from the ground, but we won 3-0 if my memory serves me right goals from aldo tynan and lowndes. then easter Monday beating Cardiff 1-0 at Somerton goal from aldo, only for 5 days later to lose 0-3 at home to pompy and the rest as they say is history.
User avatar
User

phil_in_npton

Posts

1576

Re: County in the 80’s

Postby phil_in_npton » July 1st, 2018, 7:47 am

Good Morning!

I have quite a few memories of this time, mainly because just getting to see my team play from so far away was a special occasion in itself!

Firstly cycling from Northampton, with a Cobblers supporting school mate. A four day “road trip”, Stopping at youth hostels on the way, Cleeve Hill, Chepstow, St Briavels and Stow on the Wold.
We took in a race meeting at Chepstow, and got the train from Severn Tunnel Junction to Newport.
Possibly an Easter game, think the races were the Welsh Champion Hurdle, Night Nurse winning odds on, we backed quite a few winners and came home with more money than we took!

Phil in Northampton
no avatar
User

pembsexile

Posts

5426

Location

Sunny and warm Pembrokeshire

Re: County in the 80’s

Postby pembsexile » July 1st, 2018, 9:04 am

phil_in_npton wrote:Good Morning!

I have quite a few memories of this time, mainly because just getting to see my team play from so far away was a special occasion in itself!

Firstly cycling from Northampton, with a Cobblers supporting school mate. A four day “road trip”, Stopping at youth hostels on the way, Cleeve Hill, Chepstow, St Briavels and Stow on the Wold.
We took in a race meeting at Chepstow, and got the train from Severn Tunnel Junction to Newport.
Possibly an Easter game, think the races were the Welsh Champion Hurdle, Night Nurse winning odds on, we backed quite a few winners and came home with more money than we took!

Phil in Northampton


Morning Phil. That would have been in either 76 or 77 as Night Nurse won it in both those years. I wouldn't try cycling to Chepstow to see the race now though as it is held in Ffos Las near Llanelli, however, you probably know that.

I wonder who the County played?
no avatar
User

Collars

Posts

57

Re: County in the 80’s

Postby Collars » July 10th, 2018, 1:20 pm

I also remember John Lewis.

His name was indeed a shop - possibly before the shop existed (either the shop shop, or the footballing shop).
no avatar
User

Stan A. Einstein

Posts

9725

Re: County in the 80’s

Postby Stan A. Einstein » July 13th, 2018, 11:54 pm

Jimmy Exile wrote: My brother says the Newport Cardiff rivalry which meant there were mini riots almost every other Saturday. It just seemed to dominate that era



According to Threadbare you're claiming that you have no brother.
no avatar
User

Exile 1976

Posts

13867

Location

MT

Re: County in the 80’s

Postby Exile 1976 » July 14th, 2018, 8:11 am

Stan A. Einstein wrote:
Jimmy Exile wrote: My brother says the Newport Cardiff rivalry which meant there were mini riots almost every other Saturday. It just seemed to dominate that era



According to Threadbare you're claiming that you have no brother.



Uh oh, Jimmy, you've been busted kid. School boy error. Why did you lie about not having a brother? Brendan has got who you are right hasn't he :lol:
no avatar
User

Stan A. Einstein

Posts

9725

Re: County in the 80’s

Postby Stan A. Einstein » July 14th, 2018, 9:41 am

Exile 1976 wrote:
Stan A. Einstein wrote:
Jimmy Exile wrote: My brother says the Newport Cardiff rivalry which meant there were mini riots almost every other Saturday. It just seemed to dominate that era



According to Threadbare you're claiming that you have no brother.



Uh oh, Jimmy, you've been busted kid. School boy error. Why did you lie about not having a brother? Brendan has got who you are right hasn't he :lol:



Waking this morning I was inspired to write a poem. It has shades of Keats, if I say so myself. It is called 'He who lols last, lol's loudest.

My name is Jimmy,
I am a riddle,
And them as knows me,
Think I'm just piddle.

I have no father,
And yet no mother,
I'm not too sure,
If I have a brother.

I live in the desert,
In the Mojave,
With a six foot rabbit,
His name is Harvey.

My name is Jimmy,
But look what Stan did,
I just been busted,
No longer trusted.

lol, lol, lol.
PreviousNext

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 16 guests

Powered by phpBB ®