Re: Serious question.

George Street-Bridge wrote:Words are the currency here, like it or not.
Yes George. And tell me how many people who post on here, do you believe appreciate the difference between practice and practise? And if some people believe that the Moody Blues had a hit with 'Knights in white satin' does it really matter?

Back on topic. Perhaps you could use your finely honed and extensive vocabulary to tell us dimly lit bulbs what we should do if the WRU are really trying to oust us from Rodney Parade?

Alan G Bryant wrote:Well on the positive side , it looks like the FAW are looking after us much more than the WRU.
Tell me Alan. Being positive what do you think that the chances are that a director of Newport County will publicly announce, on this board or anywhere else, that we have a healthy, positive and mutually beneficial relationship with the WRU?

George Street-Bridge wrote:
Stan A. Einstein wrote: And if some people believe that the Moody Blues had a hit with 'Knights in white satin' does it really matter?
I'd argue that if someone made that mistake repeatedly while trying to pass themselves off as an expert on British pop in the 60s then yes, it would matter.
I think you will find that you should have written:

'British pop in the 60's......' Not 60s.

8)

Edit.

If you are going to pass yourself off as an expert on the correct usage of the English language, then yes, as you say, these things do matter.

Stan A. Einstein wrote:
George Street-Bridge wrote:
Stan A. Einstein wrote: And if some people believe that the Moody Blues had a hit with 'Knights in white satin' does it really matter?
I'd argue that if someone made that mistake repeatedly while trying to pass themselves off as an expert on British pop in the 60s then yes, it would matter.

8)
Surely not?
60s plural as in 60,61,62, etc rather than 60's possessive as in 'belonging to' the sixties.

excessbee wrote:

8)[/quote]

Surely not?
60s plural as in 60,61,62, etc rather than 60's possessive as in 'belonging to' the sixties.[/quote]

In which case he should have written 'sixties'.

And whilst on the subject of pedantry he should also have written 'pop' music'. Pop being an abbreviation of popular.

However, for reasons best known to himself and others my question remains.

If the WRU are playing hard ball and if they continue to do so. What, if anything, should we do? Indeed what, if anything, can we do?

Being infantile and pedantic may allow George Street Bridge to amuse himself for hours on a Saturday afternoon but for many football fans in Newport that might not seem overly appealing.
Last edited by Stan A. Einstein on July 10th, 2018, 11:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

excessbee wrote:But by your argument, he should have written sixty's. The apostrophe police would have jumped on that one!
No.

I was pointing out that if George meant to have used the plural form he should have written the word sixties.

Anyway enough of this competition between you and George to be the most boring pedant on this board. Do you have any contribution to make to the topic in hand?

Edit.

In fact does anybody have a contribution to make. To be clear.

There is very strong evidence that our landlords at Rodney Parade, the being the Welsh Rugby Football Union (WRU) are holding the club to ransom. There is also very strong evidence that the incumbent board of directors at Newport County have stood up to the WRU.

I make no criticism of any of the current board. The blame, although it is pretty pointless now to blame anyone, lies in the countless regimes that have had charge of our club since reformation, who all failed to address the problem of Newport County not having a suitable stadium.

However my question remains. We can call the bluff of the WRU. We can say, you, the WRU, are behaving appallingly. We can embarrass them by making their behaviour public. We can refuse to pay the hiked up sums. In short we can call their bluff.

But what if they are not bluffing? What if the WRU say in terms. Fine, don't pay the increased rent, and best of luck finding a new ground. When did you say your season starts?

Seriously, what then?

excessbee wrote:But by your argument, he should have written sixty's. The apostrophe police would have jumped on that one!
Last indulgence.

Sixties can be correct. 60's can be correct.

60s can't be correct. You can use a numeral, you can use a word. You can't merge the two.

It follows the same logic as the city of St Louis, Missouri.

You can pronounce it San Loo-ee. If you're speaking French. You can pronounce it Saint Lewis, if you are speaking English. Under no circumstances, other than in the song, is it correct to pronounce it Saint Loo-ee.

Good try but when it comes to being a pedantic bore George beats you hands down every time.

It seems like the WRU/Dragons are being really short sighted in how they’re treating us. It seems like they’ve just had a massive outlay on new players, and attendances seem to be on the slide.

The Dragons seem to be built on sand, financially speaking, so surely it won’t be long before they need us as much as we need them?

(Oops, that was a lot of ‘seems to be’!)

halfmoon wrote:It seems like the WRU/Dragons are being really short sighted in how they’re treating us. It seems like they’ve just had a massive outlay on new players, and attendances seem to be on the slide.

The Dragons seem to be built on sand, financially speaking, so surely it won’t be long before they need us as much as we need them?

The WRU own the Dragons & Rodders though, they've got plenty of money, certainly don't need anything we have to bring to the table........especially when they're sitting on a prime bit of land that they bought for a 'steal' and there's strong rumours of a North Wales regional team....

Exile 1976 wrote:
halfmoon wrote:It seems like the WRU/Dragons are being really short sighted in how they’re treating us. It seems like they’ve just had a massive outlay on new players, and attendances seem to be on the slide.

The WRU own the Dragons & Rodders though, they've got plenty of money, certainly don't need anything we have to bring to the table........especially when they're sitting on a prime bit of land that they bought for a 'steal' and there's strong rumours of a North Wales regional team....
That sounds about right, unfortunately. If (when) WRU have to sell RP it’ll be far more lucrative to bulldoze it for flats than continue to run it