Re: TNS champions league

DT1892 wrote:Think TNS drop into the Europa League now, so they've another chance to earn some £££. Going to take some effort for any club to overhaul them within the next couple of years.

They got the Gibraltar champions next who in fairness reached the last round of qualifying in CL few seasons back

UPTHEPORT wrote:
DT1892 wrote:Think TNS drop into the Europa League now, so they've another chance to earn some £££. Going to take some effort for any club to overhaul them within the next couple of years.

They got the Gibraltar champions next who in fairness reached the last round of qualifying in CL few seasons back
Beat Celtic at home if I remember correctly. TNS beat the previous Gibraltar champions last year, but they didn't do it comfortably. Hopefully they'll have enough though.

DT1892 wrote:
UPTHEPORT wrote:

Beat Celtic at home if I remember correctly. TNS beat the previous Gibraltar champions last year, but they didn't do it comfortably. Hopefully they'll have enough though.

TNS won first leg 2-1 second leg tonight in gibraltar

FAW are restructuring the top 3 tiers and taking charge of them from next season I believe, so the Welsh League will drop to the fourth tier. Spain allows B teams in their second tier, Germany up to the third. But I don't think UEFA would allow us to have a second team in another nation's league.
I'd have thought the only way we could do it is probably buying out Newport City or Albion Rovers and getting them to the WPL and loan players to them. Expensive.

DT1892 wrote:FAW are restructuring the top 3 tiers and taking charge of them from next season I believe, so the Welsh League will drop to the fourth tier. Spain allows B teams in their second tier, Germany up to the third. But I don't think UEFA would allow us to have a second team in another nation's league.
I'd have thought the only way we could do it is probably buying out Newport City or Albion Rovers and getting them to the WPL and loan players to them. Expensive.

We can play in Welsh league reserve division thats it and its standard is poor I ref in it these days :grin:

UPTHEPORT wrote:
DT1892 wrote:FAW are restructuring the top 3 tiers and taking charge of them from next season I believe, so the Welsh League will drop to the fourth tier. Spain allows B teams in their second tier, Germany up to the third. But I don't think UEFA would allow us to have a second team in another nation's league.

We can play in Welsh league reserve division thats it and its standard is poor I ref in it these days :grin:
What’s the reffing standards like ? :grin:

Surely that wouldn’t be a king’s ransom ( though I’m pretty sure they wouldn’t want to sell to us :lol: )

lowandhard wrote:
Surely that wouldn’t be a king’s ransom ( though I’m pretty sure they wouldn’t want to sell to us :lol: )
There will be all kinds of club ownership and loan restrictions in place to prevent this sort of thing, though Watford/Udinese/Granada certainly had something with a similar model for a while.

But simply enough I would imagine the FAW would just refuse to allow it unless they thought it was in their interests. It can't still be restraint of trade if they're allowing us to put out a first team at a higher level...

It does raise an interesting question about whether having representatives from the English league-based clubs near the top of the Welsh pyramid would help raise the overall standard or even the level of interest in domestic matches - kind of like a welsh version of the Checkatrade Cup/U23 argument but across a whole league season and in Wales. One of the ironies is that TNS have been allowed to play in the Scottish equivalent of the Checkatrade Trophy and done pretty well the last couple of seasons.

I'm guessing existing Welsh League and Cymru Alliance clubs might be reluctant to give up league slots to the top sides' reserves (or worse) and it probably doesn't do much for the FAW's collective egos either to underline that the second teams are that good so where would the first teams be if only they'd join - but how well would those reserve teams do?