TNS champions league

Newport County natter & football chatter.
no avatar
User

DT1892

Re: TNS champions league

Postby DT1892 » July 20th, 2018, 7:08 pm

Think TNS drop into the Europa League now, so they've another chance to earn some £££. Going to take some effort for any club to overhaul them within the next couple of years.
User

UPTHEPORT

The Republic of Malpas

Postby UPTHEPORT » July 20th, 2018, 7:45 pm

DT1892 wrote:Think TNS drop into the Europa League now, so they've another chance to earn some £££. Going to take some effort for any club to overhaul them within the next couple of years.

They got the Gibraltar champions next who in fairness reached the last round of qualifying in CL few seasons back
no avatar
User

DT1892

Postby DT1892 » July 20th, 2018, 8:21 pm

UPTHEPORT wrote:
DT1892 wrote:Think TNS drop into the Europa League now, so they've another chance to earn some £££. Going to take some effort for any club to overhaul them within the next couple of years.

They got the Gibraltar champions next who in fairness reached the last round of qualifying in CL few seasons back

Beat Celtic at home if I remember correctly. TNS beat the previous Gibraltar champions last year, but they didn't do it comfortably. Hopefully they'll have enough though.
User

UPTHEPORT

The Republic of Malpas

Postby UPTHEPORT » August 2nd, 2018, 2:41 pm

DT1892 wrote:
UPTHEPORT wrote:

Beat Celtic at home if I remember correctly. TNS beat the previous Gibraltar champions last year, but they didn't do it comfortably. Hopefully they'll have enough though.

TNS won first leg 2-1 second leg tonight in gibraltar
no avatar
User

DT1892

Postby DT1892 » August 2nd, 2018, 3:51 pm

Will be playing in Cardiff's stadium if they get through, as Park Hall doesn't meet UEFA requirements after this round.
User

penycwm county

Pembrokeshire

Postby penycwm county » August 2nd, 2018, 3:54 pm

A very nice income for TNS, no wonder they are the only team to be able to go full-time (or is there another?).
no avatar
User

DT1892

Postby DT1892 » August 2nd, 2018, 3:58 pm

Think Connah's Quay were aiming to this season, they've a couple of full-time players. Whether the whole club is, I don't know. UEFA money helps a hell of a lot, shame the others went out so early.
User

lowandhard

Peoples Republic of Malpas

Postby lowandhard » August 2nd, 2018, 4:02 pm

Under FAW / FA rules I presume we couldn’t have a second team in that league?
Edit that is the Welsh League
no avatar
User

DT1892

Postby DT1892 » August 2nd, 2018, 5:01 pm

FAW are restructuring the top 3 tiers and taking charge of them from next season I believe, so the Welsh League will drop to the fourth tier. Spain allows B teams in their second tier, Germany up to the third. But I don't think UEFA would allow us to have a second team in another nation's league.
I'd have thought the only way we could do it is probably buying out Newport City or Albion Rovers and getting them to the WPL and loan players to them. Expensive.
User

UPTHEPORT

The Republic of Malpas

Postby UPTHEPORT » August 2nd, 2018, 5:01 pm

penycwm county wrote:A very nice income for TNS, no wonder they are the only team to be able to go full-time (or is there another?).

Barry town are FT
User

UPTHEPORT

The Republic of Malpas

Postby UPTHEPORT » August 2nd, 2018, 5:03 pm

DT1892 wrote:FAW are restructuring the top 3 tiers and taking charge of them from next season I believe, so the Welsh League will drop to the fourth tier. Spain allows B teams in their second tier, Germany up to the third. But I don't think UEFA would allow us to have a second team in another nation's league.
I'd have thought the only way we could do it is probably buying out Newport City or Albion Rovers and getting them to the WPL and loan players to them. Expensive.

We can play in Welsh league reserve division thats it and its standard is poor I ref in it these days :grin:
no avatar
User

frostyjohn

Postby frostyjohn » August 2nd, 2018, 9:34 pm

Lincoln Reds 1 v 1 TNS (agg. 2 v 3)
User

lowandhard

Postby lowandhard » August 2nd, 2018, 9:45 pm

UPTHEPORT wrote:
DT1892 wrote:FAW are restructuring the top 3 tiers and taking charge of them from next season I believe, so the Welsh League will drop to the fourth tier. Spain allows B teams in their second tier, Germany up to the third. But I don't think UEFA would allow us to have a second team in another nation's league.

We can play in Welsh league reserve division thats it and its standard is poor I ref in it these days :grin:

What’s the reffing standards like ? :grin:
User

lowandhard

Postby lowandhard » August 2nd, 2018, 9:47 pm

Surely that wouldn’t be a king’s ransom ( though I’m pretty sure they wouldn’t want to sell to us :lol: )
User

SJG99

The End of the Hedge

Postby SJG99 » August 2nd, 2018, 10:55 pm

lowandhard wrote:

Surely that wouldn’t be a king’s ransom ( though I’m pretty sure they wouldn’t want to sell to us :lol: )

There will be all kinds of club ownership and loan restrictions in place to prevent this sort of thing, though Watford/Udinese/Granada certainly had something with a similar model for a while.

But simply enough I would imagine the FAW would just refuse to allow it unless they thought it was in their interests. It can't still be restraint of trade if they're allowing us to put out a first team at a higher level...

It does raise an interesting question about whether having representatives from the English league-based clubs near the top of the Welsh pyramid would help raise the overall standard or even the level of interest in domestic matches - kind of like a welsh version of the Checkatrade Cup/U23 argument but across a whole league season and in Wales. One of the ironies is that TNS have been allowed to play in the Scottish equivalent of the Checkatrade Trophy and done pretty well the last couple of seasons.

I'm guessing existing Welsh League and Cymru Alliance clubs might be reluctant to give up league slots to the top sides' reserves (or worse) and it probably doesn't do much for the FAW's collective egos either to underline that the second teams are that good so where would the first teams be if only they'd join - but how well would those reserve teams do?
PreviousNext