Re: CUDDY GROUP GOES INTO ADMINISTRATION

Amberexile wrote:
Stan A. Einstein wrote:
excessbee wrote:Except that for 20+ of those years we were playing in a stadium that entirely befitted our standing in the pyramid. Crowds of 750 were never going to suggest that a 5000? capacity ground was a sensible plan. Success came quickly towards the end of that long spell. Who would have expected us to get through the Conference in only three years. Hindsight is a wonderful thing.
Hindsight is a wonderful thing. If only fifteen years ago someone had had the foresight to say we need to develop a stadium. If only someone in power had had the ability to listen.
... we'd have gone bust again and not have a team to follow today.
Why do you think that developing a stadium would have led to Newport County going bust?

Stan A. Einstein wrote:
Amberexile wrote:Because we were already losing money every season and were reliant on dirctors' loans to survive.
Directors loans. I am not sure we perceive them in quite the same way. For me a bit like relying on pay day loans to survive.
That's exactly my point, we were already looking into the financial abyss without trying to fund a white elephant ground as well Doing so would have resulted in us going bust.

Amberexile wrote:
Stan A. Einstein wrote:
Amberexile wrote:Because we were already losing money every season and were reliant on dirctors' loans to survive.
Directors loans. I am not sure we perceive them in quite the same way. For me a bit like relying on pay day loans to survive.
That's exactly my point, we were already looking into the financial abyss without trying to fund a white elephant ground as well Doing so would have resulted in us going bust.
Well a number of points.

Firstly you will recall the Welsh Cup competition on the BBC. When I asked what happened to the money we won the general consensus was to point to the then board saying that the monies went into the general running of the club. Paying back directors loans perhaps? With interest?

Secondly my view remains that the appalling lack of atmosphere at Spytty Park led to a struggling team and lower crowds.

Finally had we developed a stadium we could have accessed grants from any number of organizations, Government(s) and EU.

Only my view.

A ground needn't have been a white elephant. Someone over the page cited Caldicot and Chepstow. I've never been to Chepstow's but I bet we could have managed one as good as Caldicot.

The problem would always have been how many rungs on the pyramid we'd have needed to fall back while doing it and how supporters would have felt about volunteering for demotion while walking away from Spytty Park.
Last edited by George Street-Bridge on July 13th, 2018, 5:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wow, eight posts and less than two hours to hijack the thread into a 'this is all because we don't have our own ground - the directors should have listened to me' post.

Who knows what the mid-term plan of the directors was at the time when they reached agreement to move to RP - I'd say the main priority was to secure a ground suitable for League Football - that was the main objective at the time.

Some articles at the time:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/18286818

https://www.newport-county.co.uk/club/c ... ey-parade/ - note that this refers to a ten year lease and also states that "it was decided that current home Spytty Stadium no longer met the Football Club's requirements".

Alan G Bryant wrote:Plus we would have needed a good enviromental planning lawyer. They do not come cheap as we know.
Development of a stadium would have been hard. It is much easier to find reasons not to do it.

Most things that are really worthwhile are hard. There are always lots of seemingly good reasons for not doing these things.

Un July 1969 a man walked on the moon. This feat was achieved nearly fifty years ago. When in 1963 months before his assassination John F. Kennedy commited the United States ro putting a man on the moon before the end of that decade most people thought him crazy.

JFK said it that America chose to put a man on the moon before 1970, not because it was easy but because it was hard.

Think about it.