Re: The WRU, The Dragons and Newport rugby

A compelling, thought-provoking account. Thanks for posting, NewportRugbyFan.
whoareya wrote:The fan experience at Rodney Parade is shite, poor terracing, cramped seats in the Hazell stand, blinded by sun and soaked by rain in the Bisley - it really has very little going for it, save the hospitality provision.

Does anyone honestly think, or more importantly reasonably expect, the Council should pander to a few thousand football fans who want the convenience of being able to stumble out of town centre pubs as late as possible to get to the game, when they already have an undoubtedly expensive and money-hemorrhaging Sport Village at Spytty ?

Personally I'd prefer that money be spent on Social Care and housing for far more people with far greater, urgent needs.
Can't disagree with any of that, though the issue of the council's responsibility is a complex moral one. If the council prioritized their spending then in this day and age priority 1 would probably gobble up 100% of their resources. Is that ok? Or do they have a responsibility to split it up a bit more? (my position on this matter has shifted to the right after considering other posters' opinions)

JonD wrote:A compelling, thought-provoking account. Thanks for posting, NewportRugbyFan.
whoareya wrote:The fan experience at Rodney Parade is shite, poor terracing, cramped seats in the Hazell stand, blinded by sun and soaked by rain in the Bisley - it really has very little going for it, save the hospitality provision.

Does anyone honestly think, or more importantly reasonably expect, the Council should pander to a few thousand football fans who want the convenience of being able to stumble out of town centre pubs as late as possible to get to the game, when they already have an undoubtedly expensive and money-hemorrhaging Sport Village at Spytty ?

Personally I'd prefer that money be spent on Social Care and housing for far more people with far greater, urgent needs.
Can't disagree with any of that, though the issue of the council's responsibility is a complex moral one. If the council prioritized their spending then in this day and age priority 1 would probably gobble up 100% of their resources. Is that ok? Or do they have a responsibility to split it up a bit more? (my position on this matter has shifted to the right after considering other posters' opinions)
I think in 'investing' in a bloody velodrome and cycle speedway stadiums is proof enough that they have already thrown good money after bad............

WhoAreYa - some good points there, and also some with which I vehemently disagree!

Yup, fair point re: Spytty. But I'd still argue that if RP and the cabbage patch were redeveloped sensibly, there's a good facility there which could turn a profit and bring people into the city centre. It's not about the council pandering to anyone - it's about recognising that sports facilities can have a rejuvenating impact on an area, that sports fans will spend money in the surrounding vicinity, and that helping to secure success for the clubs with "Newport" in their name benefits the city at large.

I completely disagree with you about the fan experience at Rodney Parade. As I've argued on here time and time again, it's proximate to the city centre (bars, train links, bus links), has a range of terraces and seating to suit all tastes and wallets, and manages to be small enough to generate an atmosphere whilst also being big enough to cram the crowds in for matches like Spurs at home. Sure, bits of it are a bit dilapidated, but give me RP over a plastic, all-seater out-of-town identikit ground any day of the week.

Willthiswork wrote:Too mamy drama queens and gossip mongers on here at the moment. It's like the school yard at pick up time. Let the people in charge, who you voted in, do their job and then they'll let us know what is happening.

I can't wait for the season to start properly!
First time poster. My name is Gerry Lockwood and I live in the northwest. My granddad was from Newport and his big hero was Len Were. He told me he would have had many caps for Wales had he moved to a big club. Thats why I chose the name.

I think we should all just get behind the directors who run the club. Pretty good IMHO as we are in the league and concentrate on the football. I am hoping to get to see County for the first time this year as I dont live to far from Morecambe.

Lenwearesaved wrote:
Willthiswork wrote:Too mamy drama queens and gossip mongers on here at the moment. It's like the school yard at pick up time. Let the people in charge, who you voted in, do their job and then they'll let us know what is happening.

I can't wait for the season to start properly!
First time poster. My name is Gerry Lockwood and I live in the northwest. My granddad was from Newport and his big hero was Len Were. He told me he would have had many caps for Wales had he moved to a big club. Thats why I chose the name.

I think we should all just get behind the directors who run the club. Pretty good IMHO as we are in the league and concentrate on the football. I am hoping to get to see County for the first time this year as I dont live to far from Morecambe.
Welcome to the messageboard Gerry... look forward to hearing your views on all things County. Hopefully you'll get to see them up north a few times.

Re: WRU & County

Taffweigan wrote:Was suggested I look to host such an event and I posted my email address for Mr Buttress to get in contact if he is serious about this. Check page 1
i know that he is serious chris but he not going to come on our message board and look for an email,he needs a formal invite from the trust or one of the supporters group not "reply by email if your interested".his professionalism is way beyond that

mark oh wrote:
Taffweigan wrote:Was suggested I look to host such an event and I posted my email address for Mr Buttress to get in contact if he is serious about this. Check page 1
i know that he is serious chris but he not going to come on our message board and look for an email,he needs a formal invite from the trust or one of the supporters group not "reply by email if your interested".his professionalism is way beyond that
I would be happy to do this if I had a point of contact. I dropped mine in as if he is serious he will contact me. Also the first words about the whole thing originated on here too

Taffweigan wrote:
mark oh wrote:
I would be happy to do this if I had a point of contact. I dropped mine in as if he is serious he will contact me. Also the first words about the whole thing originated on here too

Why waste your time trying to interview a fellow tenant, it is the WRU that make the decisions not the Dragons.

Why waste your time trying to interview a fellow tenant, it is the WRU that make the decisions not the Dragons.[/quote]

Agree with this. Presently i'm sure the Dragons/ WRU need our rent, but if their aspirations of increasing their revenue streams are realised what then?