How many matches will you attend?

Good Evening!

The new season is fast approaching and hopes and optimism are high! A good start will put everyone in a good mood, whilst negativity is only a defeat or two away.
I will as usual have to pick and choose the matches to attend, mostly on distance from Northampton.
I like to get to a couple of early games to assess our chances and to familiarise myself with the new signings.
First game at Mansfield is good for me as daughter lives in Nottingham so a family get together and overnight stop will make a nice weekend. (and six of us attending)
The first home game is also one I try and get to, in the past either stopping overnight or driving there and back in a day. This does get tiring however, so this time the plan is to travel by train, for a bit of a treat! This isn’t normally financially viable but exchanging Tesco vouchers means no hard cash spent!
So that’s the first two games covered.
My big game of the season, Northampton, this time both are Tuesday night games, I am disappointed with this
as coming to Newport for that means taking time off work or a very late night.
I have lost local game at Coventry but gained Milton Keynes. I won’t miss going to Luton either!
Most matches will be witnessed from the Exiles Grandstand as usual, but that also has lost its sparkle a bit these days.
So, are you an ever present home and away?
Do you just get to home games?
If like myself you live away from Newport, what are your games to attend?
Maybe we should pick one home game, and get a group of exiles to attend, enjoying hospitality before the game and putting faces to names!

However many games you attend, your passion can be as great as any others so let’s all look forward to some good times this season!

Phil in Northampton

Re: How many matches will you attend?

Mansfield is my closest game just 15 minutes on the train and I'm off work that day
My Lad is coming up too so always nice when that happens
Notts county and Lincoln good too work permitting
Work quite a few Saturdays but hope to get to 8 or 9 away games and half a dozen or so home games
Will say Hi if I see you at Mansfield Phil been a long time since Fleetwood

Phil, Grandstand lost its sparkle really? There are less contributors than there used to be but at the moment (last season), it is a fun place most times.

Great idea about the exiles meet up at some home games. I am up for it. Probably only get to 4/5 games myself but hopefully more this season, so I hope this suggestion materialises.

Good question Phil and something that's been on my mind as I've gone from being a season ticket holder last season to an exile for the 2018/19 season. For pure convenience, I'm hoping we draw Shrewsbury away in one of the cups and I've already pencilled in the Tranmere away game. Due to the circumstances of my work I can make it to Tuesday night home games, so I'll get to see Notts County, Macclesfield and Northampton. What I will really miss are the games around Christmas and New Year, so I'll be making the effort to come down for FGR or Crawley.

There is one positive in all of this: My inability to attend week in week out will inevitably lead to an outstanding season and promotion to Division 1.

Kevinmoorefellover wrote:There is one positive in all of this: My inability to attend week in week out will inevitably lead to an outstanding season and promotion to Division 1.
Heh, it needs a name, this principle, like Murphy’s Law. The Kevin Moore Law? (Does Kevin fall over if no one is watching? Uhm, needs work, I think)

I love my Saturday mornings, and it’s becoming increasingly harder to tear myself away from Swansea to go to the football. I wouldn’t be surprised if I don’t see a single Saturday home game next season. I’ll probably do a few away games, Lincoln, maybe MK. A lot depends on where I will be working.

Worked our holiday around first couple of games so my girls trip to Alton Towers on the Friday is so I can get to Mansfield next day and onto Newport for a week for the Crewe game.

Will catch two games in september home to Yeovil and away at Tranmere (there and Morecambe my nearest grounds). That's probably it for a while then...

Hope to see some of you at these games.

Hi Phil,
how the devil are you?
I'm living in Swansea these days and keep trying to get to a few games!
My job doesn't really allow me to plan anything (midweek games are a no for a start) & if anything when I am available (usually at the last minute) I need to spend time at home as I've been away during the week or working unsociable hours! or County are away!!
This season though I'm going to try harder - I communicate with a few County fans on twitter & am going to try to meet one or two if possible. I can get a train for £10 (depends on rail replacement though with the electrification works between Newport & Cardiff) as I'd rather not drive as I like a pint (or more lol)
Regards the 'grandstand' - I still peruse with the occasional post - but don't spend much time on here now as I think the messageboard in general has lost its sparkle since promotion to the league - too many arguments & pettiness for me!
However, maybe get chance to meet up somewhere down the line!
Elmo

Hi Elmo!
We have come a long way since those Confetence South days when the Exiles Grandstand first got off the ground.
Well remember our meeting of flags at Wembley!
I was perhaps a bit harsh saying it’s lost it’s sparkle, partly I think because nowadays the experience has got so fragmented with live streams, Twitter and other media. It used to be everyone listening to the same commentary at the same time...and for free!
Well it’s up to us to rejuvenate it for the good of all.

Phil in Npton

I like in Essex and saw a record 17 games last season mainly away games. Looking to see about the same this season. Mansfield first time for me, Crawley, Colchester, Cambridge 2, Oldham, Port Vale, Swindon and several homes. Travelling to games by train is not cheap!! Great idea for OBEs to meet up at home games. Any fellow travellers from Essex who like driving to games?

UPTHEPORT wrote:Phil ideally Grandstand should be dead we should all be at the games
Good Evening Jim

Not sure if you have your tongue in your cheek here...

I don’t think you really mean that sentiment but on the small chance you do...are you saying if you can’t attend you shouldn’t be allowed any interest at all of the game?

Just re read what you put, it’s so ridiculous it must be a joke, albeit not that funny!

Phil in Npton