Re: Hereford friendly

Agree that Franks looked the pick of the team in both halves. Very assured and on today's performance and a good signing.
Not too sure about Cooper. In a way he reminds me of RW. Some moments of magic but then disappears and simply stands around waving his arms.
Back looks a very solid unit with some decent cover on the bench.
Midfield still a bit unimaginative but hoping Crofts will supply what we need.
Podge will give us goals but needs a partner and some support from midfield.
In goal, Day is a great shot stopper but can be indecisive and flaps at a lot. On balance I would keep him in the team but desperately needs a number 2 to push him.
Overall looking to be a good season. 10th in the table next May would be a good season for me.

Kairdiff Exile wrote:Lots of positives in that performance. First time I’ve seen us since May, and defensively we’ve definitely upgraded. Franks looks a hell of a player; very assured on the ball and good distribution. The new right-back has pace too, and must have been disappointed he wasn’t given more of the ball today - he spent most if the afternoon totally unmarked!

Charlie Cooper looked good too, although he’ll be under more pressure against Div 4 opposition than was the case today. Crofts was quiet, but did fine when called upon.

My worry is up front. Podge will get 15 goals and did well when he came on, but the other two up front today looked iffy. We had three (maybe four) gilt-edged chances in the first half and neither of them converted (apart from the penalty, ovvo). The midfield are doing their job, but the strikers need to be ready to knock in the one or two chances they’ll get in tight games.
I think we might see a different Jamille Matt in competitive games. I doubt his physical style is appropriate in pre-season friendlies.

Was there today and agree franks looked good will be great alongside ob and Micky d with Scott backing them up. Think Matt will be a handful Crofts a true leader and Semenyo will be a great loan signing and remember we can still have another 3 loan signings I think. Willmott looked sharp and I also liked the look of the trailist who came on who is meant to Tyreeq Bakinson who was at Bristol city

Having got the first train out of Hereford back to Newport, I got home (to Hedge End) at 0130 thanks to a lack of train driver in Bristol for half an hour making me miss two connections. :?

Anyway, re the match:

Keanu Marsh-Brown spent the whole game knocking the ball a yard too far in front of him and seemed very lightweight. Flair player clearly and not on form yesterday. No better or worse than Willmott was though...

The triallist (I just Googled his name from above and it was him, I took a few pics) was excellent though, great touch and awareness, some decent forward passing, strong, held the ball up well and kept possession too. Calm and definitely worth a loan if we can get him (he's 19 and contracted to BC til 2020).

Also thought Cooper worked hard and bust a gut to get forward and support from deep a few times. Did well when he had the ball, though switched off when others had the ball near him sometimes.

Franks looked comfortable and better than Bennett as a starter, (though Bennett himself looked better for being fresh and not worn down by the season).

Forbes looked good at right wing back, pacy, decent facing his own goal, a lot of energy and used the ball well. A genuine alternative to Pipe.

Crofts was a lot less involved than I expected and also put in a couple of awful tackles. Looked like a booking waiting to happen, didn't seem to have a lot of effect with the ball but playing something akin to a 5-2-3 meant the front players ran the risk of being disconnected from the rest.

Matt looked like an upgrade on Nouble if for no other reason than he wins headers and is otherwise pretty similar, though not quite as powerful he showed he knew what he was doing and looked like a starter. Good runs off the ball and with it.

Semenyo didn't really do much for me during the game, had a few slack touches but nothing particularly poor, some decent movement that wasn't picked out, and he showed some balls in taking responsibility for the penalty with all the senior pros on the pitch. Can't fault his confidence or finishing for the penalty.
Last edited by SJG99 on July 22nd, 2018, 5:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.