Re: EDGAR STREET - potential home ground?....

Dos wrote:
newgroundrodney wrote:
Dos wrote:Buy parks pitch somewhere in Newport. Make sure it got a club house. And drop to the bottom of the pyramid. And build from there. Us owning our own ground should of been talked about 20+ years ago.
We have to start somewhere.
Wasn't that the thought Stan had some years ago, or something very similar?.....
Quite possibly. It’s the only way we are going to be able to do it.
If we did this 20 years ago, who knows where we would be now when it comes to owning a ground .

Rodney Parade is a ticking time bomb. I don’t believe the board have a back up plan.

So if the option was ground sharing to maintain football league status.
Or dropping to southern league division 3 and having our pitch, a bar and a stand that holds 20 people. I know which one i would chose.
If they are the only two options I'd agree with you. Playing outside of Newport again isn't an option for me. Hopefully a third option will present itself in the meantime but, like you, I have very little faith that we'll get anywhere near it whilst being supporter-owned.

newgroundrodney wrote:I'm just asking the question, if it ever becomes necessary, and I stress IF..... what do we think?

Was it close enough to use as a home ground?
Was it easy to get to?
Was it safe with locals?
Are there sufficient trains & buses for getting back after a night game?
Would they want us there?
Is Edgar Street even currently EFL standard, and if not, how much needs doing to make it so?

If and I stress IF the worst came to the worst, would Edgar Street be a viable option?
Yes, especially compared to Moreton...
Very easy, station is a 5-10 minute walk and ground is nearby and visible from the station.
Seemed so
There's a 2311 (gets to Npt at 0001) and a 0009 both ending in Cardiff on weekdays, so yes.
Probably not but depends on the money I guess
We could probably just about get away with it, it's no worse than York was a few years back.

So overall, yes. Though it's £21.90 return every match.

newgroundrodney wrote:Is FGR more likely than Hereford?....
We need to be having these discussions before 2022...
In fact, my gut feeling says we wont be tolerated at RP even that long.
So options need looking at even if it's only to rule them out.
Not with the distance from Stroud Station to the New Lawn and the residential traffic problems in Nailsworth.

As it stands County's best non-RP option is still Spytty, but local government funding isn't anywhere near a level where that could be justified, the only way I think it could happen would be if the whole area was sold for retail with the ground developed as part of that deal. And even then it would still be council-owned, and they'd want a running track somewhere.