EDGAR STREET - potential home ground?....

I'm just asking the question, if it ever becomes necessary, and I stress IF..... what do we think?

Was it close enough to use as a home ground?
Was it easy to get to?
Was it safe with locals?
Are there sufficient trains & buses for getting back after a night game?
Would they want us there?
Is Edgar Street even currently EFL standard, and if not, how much needs doing to make it so?

If and I stress IF the worst came to the worst, would Edgar Street be a viable option?

Re: EDGAR STREET - potential home ground?....

I watched Hereford record their first away win after being elected to the league in 72/73. I remember it being a cold November evening.
Now I'm not one to bear a grudge but I swore I would never watch a game at Hereford after that.
I'm possibly mellowing with age and decided to watch the game on Saturday. Must say I was very impressed with Edgar Street. Just a good old fashioned ground which I guess will have a great atmosphere when the unused end is opened.
Who knows, I might go again sometime in the next 40 years.

allontheamber wrote:I watched Hereford record their first away win after being elected to the league in 72/73. I remember it being a cold November evening.
Now I'm not one to bear a grudge but I swore I would never watch a game at Hereford after that.
I'm possibly mellowing with age and decided to watch the game on Saturday. Must say I was very impressed with Edgar Street. Just a good old fashioned ground which I guess will have a great atmosphere when the unused end is opened.
.....but do you see it as a POTENTIAL home ground if the shit hits the fan at RP?...

Full rules on ground eligibility can be found here https://www.efl.com/-more/governance/ef ... ulation-8/
Essentially a ground needs 5000 capacity and 2000 seats (it can be less when first promoted). Edgar St has an official capacity of 4913 with 936 seats. so it is a little way off (disclaimer: this information is from wikipedia). That also assumes that is meets all the other requirement (floodlights, medical, media, directors boxes etc.). My main concern would be how much would our attendance drop? As luck would have it I am in the middle recording of a podcast covering potential options for our future home.

newgroundrodney wrote:I'm just asking the question, if it ever becomes necessary, and I stress IF..... what do we think?

Was it easy to get to?
Was it safe with locals?
Is Edgar Street even currently EFL standard, and if not, how much needs doing to make it so?

If and I stress IF the worst came to the worst, would Edgar Street be a viable option?
Do you know something we don’t know?

lowandhard wrote:
newgroundrodney wrote:I'm just asking the question, if it ever becomes necessary, and I stress IF..... what do we think?

Was it easy to get to?
Was it safe with locals?

Do you know something we don’t know?

My post included EIGHT question marks, of course I don't know, I'm just asking.
I wonder to what extent the extra TIME involved in getting there, the extra COST involved in getting there would lead to a decline in "home" attendances.
I wonder whether we'd pick up at least SOME locals as home fans.

I know it's all up in the air, all ifs, buts and maybes, but since we've made a recent visit there, I just wondered what fans would think in terms of Edgar Street as a potential.
I don't know enough people at NCAFC to be 'in the know', but I do think we need to at least consider these things now.

I've always believed we'll either outgrow RP, or be kicked out of RP......... it's a shame we never had the chance to gradually BUY the place in little lumps at a time. A windfall, player sale, cup run here and there would do it over time.

newgroundrodney wrote:
allontheamber wrote:I watched Hereford record their first away win after being elected to the league in 72/73. I remember it being a cold November evening.
.....but do you see it as a POTENTIAL home ground if the shit hits the fan at RP?...

Assume the ground is up to L2 standards and capacity is enough for 95% of our crowds. So yes is has potential if everything hits the fan. The fact that we took almost 500 for a friendly shows it is accessible for our supporters. Question is would the numbers willing to travel sustain a L2 side. I doubt it because we would have lower gate receipts, be paying rent and still no matchday revenue streams.
As a city centre ground RP is great for Newport based fans but has nothing special for those that have to drive. In that respect I actually preferred SP and still see that, if developed, as our long term future.

newgroundrodney wrote:Is FGR more likely than Hereford?....
We need to be having these discussions before 2022...
In fact, my gut feeling says we wont be tolerated at RP even that long.
So options need looking at even if it's only to rule them out.
You are probably right about RP,but we couldn't go back into exile.Build our own ground would be the best solution,but that won't happen,so Spytty is the only logical alternative.