Re: James Bittner

I was beginning to think he was going to be coach and reserve keeper again due to the lack of another keeper being signed.
Surely therefore MF has something planned maybe an older coach/reserve keeper of someone on loan maybe.
If he was only ever going to be a coach for us then we would of needed another keeper anyway.

Kevinmoorefellover wrote:I’m disappointed to see James Bittner leave. There was a definite upturn in Joe Day’s form when Bittner started coaching him.
You reckon?
Great shot stopper but coaching would improve distribution and command of his box neither of which have ever improved
Fantastic ability but dreadful distribution since day 1

jollysuperstar wrote:
Kevinmoorefellover wrote:I’m disappointed to see James Bittner leave. There was a definite upturn in Joe Day’s form when Bittner started coaching him.
You reckon?
Great shot stopper but coaching would improve distribution and command of his box neither of which have ever improved
Fantastic ability but dreadful distribution since day 1

Completely agree for once. Day's weaknesses (distribution and command of area) haven't improved since Bittner became coach and his shot stopping has always been great.

As I understand it, Bittner isn't going FROM Newport to Reading, he had already LEFT Newport some weeks ago. He's not been present on my squad list for quite some time.....months I would guess.

EDIT: on the "Squad so far" thread, my post on May 9th, lists Bittner as "released"..... so been gone a while in reality

newgroundrodney wrote:As I understand it, Bittner isn't going FROM Newport to Reading, he had already LEFT Newport some weeks ago. He's not been present on my squad list for quite some time.....months I would guess.

EDIT: on the "Squad so far" thread, my post on May 9th, lists Bittner as "released"..... so been gone a while in reality

If you look at the photos of pre season training he is clearly there so it can only be a recent move. He was released as a player but MF was hoping he would be part of his back room team.

Paddys Bar wrote:
newgroundrodney wrote:As I understand it, Bittner isn't going FROM Newport to Reading, he had already LEFT Newport some weeks ago. He's not been present on my squad list for quite some time.....months I would guess.

If you look at the photos of pre season training he is clearly there so it can only be a recent move. He was released as a player but MF was hoping he would be part of his back room team.
... that's fair comment. Thanks for the clarity.

Day has been with us a long time and, during his loan spell from Peterborough, he had some very good games. Once he signed permanently his form gradually fell away. On Bittner's arrival his form improved again and, I agree his distribution and dealing with crosses aren't the best, but that's Joe Day for you. Despite his weaknesses he's one of the best keepers in our league I reckon.

Kevinmoorefellover wrote:Day has been with us a long time and, during his loan spell from Peterborough, he had some very good games. Once he signed permanently his form gradually fell away. On Bittner's arrival his form improved again and, I agree his distribution and dealing with crosses aren't the best, but that's Joe Day for you. Despite his weaknesses he's one of the best keepers in our league I reckon.
Considering the assortment of defenders he's had in front of him (until the last season or two), he's done extremely well.

He was released but as is usually the case, the club will have made players they want to keep an offer. The nearer to the start of the season and less likely other opportunities are, the more likely players are to take a concrete offer.

Similar thing happening with Labadie with the added complication of his injury, I should think. Though the performance of Bakinson if we can get him, plus Cooper and Crofts signing might mean the offer is off the table by now.