Re: Friendlies

neilcork68 wrote:
Percy plunkett wrote:I don't see the point of friendlies with Undy and Penybont and playing loads of trialists,none of them ever get signed anyway.Why not play a higher level team and just use a couple of trialists in them.That way,first team squad get more game time.
The friendly against Undy is because of Mike Flynns connection to them but I agree with pointless friendlies we have most seasons. They , IMO prove nothing...Not many , (none this year) produce any trialists to join the club so are a waste of time.
i also find it strange that MF didn't play his first 11 ( the ones he picked for today) against Stoke last week for at least an hour to get used to each others play That leads me to believe he doesn't have a first choice side in his mind.

IMO we are/were totally under cooked because of our poor build up. Mansfield in the second half were a yard quicker to the ball and sharper in their play. That is not down to better players or wages. Thats because we didnt prepare well enough , IMO
Sensible post ......

I don't get alll of this chopping and changing a whole first 11 during a friendly .
We've changed our squad quite considerably this summer so you would think the friendly games would be used to get a first 11 to gel and get a working system ??

But , then again .... I've never played professional football and I've never even got close to doing my coaching badges with the likes of Terry Henry . So ........ I'm not best placed to judge MF on the first game of the season !!!!

lowandhard wrote:One thing Flynny has learned is what isnt his first 11 because if that’s it.......
I saw ONE preseason friendly (not many but enough to form a partial opinion on who could and couldn't be a starter) and when I saw the side yesterday I couldn't believe who he'd picked and who he hadn't. Leaving Sheehan on the bench is just bizarre, no matter how much you think Mansfield will be physical and we'll need to play over them not through them.

SJG99 wrote:
lowandhard wrote:One thing Flynny has learned is what isnt his first 11 because if that’s it.......
I saw ONE preseason friendly (not many but enough to form a partial opinion on who could and couldn't be a starter) and when I saw the side yesterday I couldn't believe who he'd picked and who he hadn't. Leaving Sheehan on the bench is just bizarre, no matter how much you think Mansfield will be physical and we'll need to play over them not through them.
Agree I thought Pipe and Sheehan would be automatics on the friendly showing and really can’t see how Matt deserved the start. I would have left out Forbes and Marsh-Brown and played one of the young strikers instead of Matt who has looked totally ineffective to me, I hate to think what the Noublé-knockers will think of him! :grin: