Re: Players kit numbers for the 2018-19 season

George Street-Bridge wrote:Large number of players should now come on the market as free agents having been entitled to be paid up to yesterday by clubs releasing them.

If you're confident you have a starting 11 sorted, it makes sense to let the previous employer pick up the tab up to now. And it will be a big incentive to anyone deluded about his value, and agents, to moderate wage expectations
Free agents are released by clubs at the end of the season and their contracts end on June 30th not July 31st. They receive their wages through the summer until the end of June, released or not due to all playing contracts ticking over at the end of June.

Clubs have to publish the retained list by a certain number of days after the end of the season, and out-of-contract players are free to negotiate from the January before. Nothing happens at the end of July.

If we sign players from here it's because free agents have become desperate to get a contract and are accepting lower offers than they want, or because we get loanees in because players are now expected to be surplus to requirements higher up the leagues.
Last edited by SJG99 on August 2nd, 2018, 12:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

Devonian Exile wrote:So the number 4 shirt remains vacant, does this suggest Joss might still stay? and who was number 6 last season? Why is that vacant? Hmm....
4 is vacant because it doesn't make any sense to allocate it if there's a player who had it last season and there's a chance he might sign a new deal.

If I was considering re-joining a club and they'd given my shirt number from last season to someone else I'd probably not see that as a positive thing and might consider I was being replaced and less likely to play, no matter the assurances from the manager, etc.

Bush wrote:
countymadbel wrote:Does anyone know how many players we had registered this time last year just 19 seems a tad low on numbers?
19 is more than enough players right now. It’s the quality of the starting 11 I’m more worried about than making sure we have a back up left back ready for Saturday.

Football is a funny thing and teams that you think might struggle end up totally surprising you and there’s no real logic behind it but on paper I’m worried and I think Saturday could be a shocker but as this is football I wouldnt be surprised whatever the result is!

I too think 19 is fine, and I think it's a strong squad actually. Some decent competition for positions. Yeah.

Exile 1976 wrote:
rdh2210 wrote:Apologies if I'm wrong Exile but I believe his contract ended 30/6 meaning we then had to pay him July as he had not found a club. From the 1/8 (today) he will not have a wage unless he signs somewhere.
Rich

Yeah, That's what I said mate, his contract ended in June. Football league rules that should a player not sign for another club that he should be paid for 1 extra month. He will won't be paid by us again ... Unless he signs a new deal .. Happened with my bother in law at c***iff city
That is the case if the club did not offer a new contract on at least the same terms as the old one inferring that the offer we made to Labadie was on less money.

Bush wrote:
George Street-Bridge wrote:
Devonian Exile wrote: I too think 19 is fine, and I think it's a strong squad actually. Some decent competition for positions. Yeah.
More than one injury or suspension and we can't field a full bench, but an argument can be made that five subs is enough anyway.
We have an academy, we have an academy, we have an academy!!!
We do, but every game when an academy player is making up the numbers on the bench is a development game he is missing at a key point in his progress.

Willthiswork wrote:
newgroundrodney wrote:Any news on Seny Dieng joining on loan? Watched him in training on video this morning and he looks OK. He's third choice at Loftus Road, but not sure how far he is from a starting place in reality.
Needs to be signed either today or tomorrow morning to be eligible to be on the bench for the Mansfield fixture.
Apart from being beaten at his near post v Stoke, I thought his overall performance very good, I’d like to see the guy given a chance.

lowandhard wrote:
Willthiswork wrote:
newgroundrodney wrote:Any news on Seny Dieng joining on loan? Watched him in training on video this morning and he looks OK. He's third choice at Loftus Road, but not sure how far he is from a starting place in reality.
Needs to be signed either today or tomorrow morning to be eligible to be on the bench for the Mansfield fixture.
Apart from being beaten at his near post v Stoke, I thought his overall performance very good, I’d like to see the guy given a chance.
I totally agree, looked comfortable in the air and kicked well too. Always hard for a goalkeeper being trialed as they are unfamiliar with the defence.