Re: Still no keeper

Percy plunkett wrote:It's a difficult situation.Would QPR lend us one just to sit on the bench,they may as well play him in the u23's.At least the Cardiff and Bristol strikers will get some game time.
It'll be one hell of a difficult situation if Day gets injured in th first minute Saturday with no regognised keeper on the bench? Or have we got a outfield player with hidden 'keeper skills?

SJG99 wrote:I'd suggest getting someone in from Cardiff's reserves but Warnock isn't exactly known for burdening his squads with backup keepers to have any spare...

Fraser Forster is out of favour at Southampton, used to sitting on the bench too... :lol:
Cardiff have four keepers,so do Swansea.We could get one of these as a emergency loan as they are then guaranteed to play.None of these will come to sit on the bench.

Percy plunkett wrote:
SJG99 wrote:I'd suggest getting someone in from Cardiff's reserves but Warnock isn't exactly known for burdening his squads with backup keepers to have any spare...

Fraser Forster is out of favour at Southampton, used to sitting on the bench too... :lol:
Cardiff have four keepers,so do Swansea.We could get one of these as a emergency loan as they are then guaranteed to play.None of these will come to sit on the bench.
And what would they do when they have first team and U23 matches on the same day or any of their keepers gets injured? Warnock's keeper-free bench foibles aside...

The job of U23s back up keeper is becoming legendary in the money-making stakes vs match day impact. :lol:

Stating the obvious, but the real problem with no keeper on the bench isn't an injury but a red card.

Snag with youth keepers is how many still have some growing to do? We lost to MK Dons something like 5-4 in the Youth Cup and there were some great goals from outside the box, but from the video ii looked like both keepers were on the short side.

Percy plunkett wrote:

With Etheridge & Smithies competing for the No 1 spot at Cardiff & Brian Murphy the 3rd choice keeper the 4th choice keeper is Lee Camp who has no future at Cardiff but not sure whether he would fancy dropping down to Lge 2 to sit on the bench plus his wages are probably going to be high also. He did have a poor spell on loan at Sunderland last season. Another keeper Ben Wilson has been released & joined Bradford City

Surely the emergency loan system is only to cover injuries and not applicable if the squad was light on keepers. We'd be expected to have two, plus a youth keeper for bench duty at a push. Plymouth had eight keepers in named squads at various times last season. One interesting point that came out of that is that when one of the full time goalies was returning from injury, he had to be assessed by an EFL doctor, not the club's. I guess there was some suspicion that Argyle were dragging out the process and overplaying the emergency loan system.

I've posted this before, but unless the emergency loan rules have changed they look quite reasonable. You can have one (or more than one) outside the window as long as you don't have anyone registered with more than a small number of career league appearances. It's a low figure, I think it's seven or eight games.

Suppose at this time of year there are any number available game-by-game as free agents, but it's cutting it a bit fine.