Re: New signing to be announced today.

Justanordinaryfan wrote:I’m a Joe Day fan, but let’s be honest, we are skint, so if a sale of Day brings in ££ - not sure how much tbh - in excess of £100k ? , and this allows Flynny to bring in a couple of new additions all over the park, then I think that’s the way to go?
He's the one player in the squad I would say is worth every penny. He's got his flaws but he's still got to be decent value for what we get from him. Heck of a gamble replacing him whenever it happens.

Quite concerned about 2019/20 (not so much this one) with so many of the players responsible for the team spirit of the Great Escape in the last year of their contracts and the uncertain financial situation going forward.

When I saw the thread title I thought it was referring to Alaric Jones.. He is 17 and at 16 was the captain of Wales under 18's. According to a recent poll, he is the 'one to watch' regarding developing players in Wales. He currently plays for Haverfordwest in Pembs and I understand that the County recently offered him a 3 year contract that he declined to take up. This lad is going places. He wants regular first team football apparently but the County couldn't guarantee that. The one that got away maybe.

Edit - forgot to add - he s a left footed centre half.

SJG99 wrote:
Justanordinaryfan wrote:I’m a Joe Day fan, but let’s be honest, we are skint, so if a sale of Day brings in ££ - not sure how much tbh - in excess of £100k ? , and this allows Flynny to bring in a couple of new additions all over the park, then I think that’s the way to go?
He's the one player in the squad I would say is worth every penny. He's got his flaws but he's still got to be decent value for what we get from him. Heck of a gamble replacing him whenever it happens.

Quite concerned about 2019/20 (not so much this one) with so many of the players responsible for the team spirit of the Great Escape in the last year of their contracts and the uncertain financial situation going forward.
I said this last week. I would cash in on atleast two of our top 4 best players now because all 4 are out of contract next summer andwith no money how do we replace them?

pembsexile wrote:When I saw the thread title I thought it was referring to Alaric Jones.. He is 17 and at 16 was the captain of Wales under 18's. According to a recent poll, he is the 'one to watch' regarding developing players in Wales. He currently plays for Haverfordwest in Pembs and I understand that the County recently offered him a 3 year contract that he declined to take up. This lad is going places. He wants regular first team football apparently but the County couldn't guarantee that. The one that got away maybe.

However promising, I reckon any 17-year-old playing at that low a level who thinks he merits guaranteed L2 football would be best avoided.

George Street-Bridge wrote:
pembsexile wrote:When I saw the thread title I thought it was referring to Alaric Jones.. He is 17 and at 16 was the captain of Wales under 18's. According to a recent poll, he is the 'one to watch' regarding developing players in Wales. He currently plays for Haverfordwest in Pembs and I understand that the County recently offered him a 3 year contract that he declined to take up. This lad is going places. He wants regular first team football apparently but the County couldn't guarantee that. The one that got away maybe.

However promising, I reckon any 17-year-old playing at that low a level who thinks he merits guaranteed L2 football would be best avoided.
Surely it's exactly the sort of player a club like us should be gambling on?

As a football club we have absolutely no long term strategy or objectives anymore; merely to survive by whatever means necessary on a day to day basis.

Where is the vision? A club like ours needs to be sourcing, nurturing and actually selecting young players (preferably homegrown ones) if we are to stand any chance of progressing. That message needs to be constant from the leadership and we need a management team who are happy to embrace it. It works for Crewe and plenty of other sides in the Football League, yet apparently youngsters from Newport and the surrounding areas just aren't good enough - rubbish.