Re: New signing to be announced today.

rncfc wrote:
George Street-Bridge wrote:
pembsexile wrote:When I saw the thread title I thought it was referring to Alaric Jones.. He is 17 and at 16 was the captain of Wales under 18's. According to a recent poll, he is the 'one to watch' regarding developing players in Wales. He currently plays for Haverfordwest in Pembs and I understand that the County recently offered him a 3 year contract that he declined to take up. This lad is going places. He wants regular first team football apparently but the County couldn't guarantee that. The one that got away maybe.

Edit - forgot to add - he s a left footed centre half.
However promising, I reckon any 17-year-old playing at that low a level who thinks he merits guaranteed L2 football would be best avoided.
Surely it's exactly the sort of player a club like us should be gambling on?

As a football club we have absolutely no long term strategy or objectives anymore; merely to survive by whatever means necessary on a day to day basis.

Where is the vision? A club like ours needs to be sourcing, nurturing and actually selecting young players (preferably homegrown ones) if we are to stand any chance of progressing. That message needs to be constant from the leadership and we need a management team who are happy to embrace it. It works for Crewe and plenty of other sides in the Football League, yet apparently youngsters from Newport and the surrounding areas just aren't good enough - rubbish.
I don't know why people still hold up Crewe as a good example of how to survive in lower league football. In the three years 2015, 2016, 2017 they made losses of around £2.5million.

daftasfxxx wrote:
Bush wrote:
neilcork68 wrote:Who are the two you think we couldn't replace without cashing in now?
Take your pick from amond, mickey D, day and butler. If all 4 of those leave on a free we will go down next season.
As opposed to going down this season if they leave now
So you don’t have much confidence in our management team to replace two of those players with cash in the bank?

excessbee wrote:
George Street-Bridge wrote:Promising 17-year-olds, yes please.

Promising 17-year-olds who think they can demand first-team football at a way higher level than they are currently at? Run a mile.
It'll be the parents. Obviously an agent will have given them advice ....... for a price.
Or he realises spending a year playing men's football for Haverfordwest would be better than a year playing academy football. If the kid's 17 and as promising as suggested, he'll have other opportunities to move.

George Street-Bridge wrote:Promising 17-year-olds, yes please.

Promising 17-year-olds who think they can demand first-team football at a way higher level than they are currently at? Run a mile.
Just where exactly did I say the lad 'demands' first team football. I said he wanted first team football. I do not blame the lad for that at all. Neither do I blame the County as they cannot possibly guarantee first team football.

Read what I write, not what you think I write.

George Street-Bridge wrote:
pembsexile wrote:When I saw the thread title I thought it was referring to Alaric Jones.. He is 17 and at 16 was the captain of Wales under 18's. According to a recent poll, he is the 'one to watch' regarding developing players in Wales. He currently plays for Haverfordwest in Pembs and I understand that the County recently offered him a 3 year contract that he declined to take up. This lad is going places. He wants regular first team football apparently but the County couldn't guarantee that. The one that got away maybe.

Edit - forgot to add - he s a left footed centre half.
However promising, I reckon any 17-year-old playing at that low a level who thinks he merits guaranteed L2 football would be best avoided.
maybe he has seen us play !