Re: Joe Day's kicking.

Est.1912 wrote:
Willthiswork wrote:Weve often had issues with 'kicking keepers', anyone remember Tony Bird who changed his kicking syle, successfully, mid-way through the inaugural AFC season?
I remember Danny Potter was signed by Hudson for his distribution his issue was he was a dreadful keeper in every other aspect
Wasn’t he just, I remember some fans giving him the “ bird “ when he was coming off the pitch, he didn’t take it lying down, looked as if it might have got nasty at one stage. :grin: Not one of his best signings

Amberexile wrote:-
Threadbare wrote:
Yes County Exile. I thought it was going to be an og. Sat right behing him. How that tent stayed up I'll never know. That really was the 4 seasons in one day. I still chuckle at the Amber Army dancing around on the uncovered bank in the hailstones singing Lets's all have a disco, Let's go fecking mental

It wouldn't have been an og, still a corner even if it goes in the net
Don't think so. It wasn't a goal kick - the ball was in play, Lenny dropped the ball, rolled it along the ground and kicked it - so surely if it went into the net it would have been an own goal?

County Exile wrote:Amberexile wrote:-
Threadbare wrote:
Yes County Exile. I thought it was going to be an og. Sat right behing him. How that tent stayed up I'll never know. That really was the 4 seasons in one day. I still chuckle at the Amber Army dancing around on the uncovered bank in the hailstones singing Lets's all have a disco, Let's go fecking mental

Don't think so. It wasn't a goal kick - the ball was in play, Lenny dropped the ball, rolled it along the ground and kicked it - so surely if it went into the net it would have been an own goal?
No way a keeper chooses to kick in those conditions when he can throw it out. I remember it as a goal kick because the ball wouldn’t stay on the spot and the ref was telling him to hurray up.

County Exile wrote:

What any normal keeper chooses to do and what Lenny does aren't necessarily the same. :wink:
That’s a very good point!!!

There must have been other incidents of the ball not staying on the spot for a goal kick because I remember Lenny waving his arms like what do you want me to do to the ref.

County Exile wrote:Amberexile wrote:-
Threadbare wrote:

Fair enough, I remember it being a goal kick but clearly not the case.

County Exile wrote:Yes I definitely remember at least one goal kick where the ball kept moving and the ref was telling Lenny to get a move on - absolutely crazy!

Quite why he didn't take the players off during the worst of the hailstorm is beyond me. It was total farce for several minutes.
I spent most of that first half looking at the floodlight above us that was swinging from side to side thinking this is going to come down at anymoment.

Also this was the day the rugby were playing on Rodney parade and they took players off because of the weather then continued it and pretty much destroyed the pitch for the season!

Bush wrote:
daftasfxxx wrote:The ref asked the captain's, pipe being ours on the day if they were happy to continue, being men not namby pamby rugby players they were happy to
You do realise why rugby players cannot play on waterlogged pitches don’t you?
Dragons came off the field for 5 mins due to hail and wind, which should have happened at Rovers. Rodney Parade was not waterlogged.
Ref at Rovers should have called it, not asked the players.

faerun exile wrote:
Bush wrote:
daftasfxxx wrote:The ref asked the captain's, pipe being ours on the day if they were happy to continue, being men not namby pamby rugby players they were happy to
Dragons came off the field for 5 mins due to hail and wind, which should have happened at Rovers. Rodney Parade was not waterlogged.
Ref at Rovers should have called it, not asked the players.
They came off because of the surface water which is why ground staff were on forking the pitch and getting the water off.

Bush wrote:
Didn't stop them a couple of seasons back when they fucked the pitch up for the remainder of the season, so bad that the only bits visible were the risen astro dugouts.
So why didn't the ref stop it that day then?