Re: OBEs resurrected.

excessbee wrote:
bedeck wrote:Ok, a few responses there. Let's try to update each other about cheap travel and lifts etc. My next away game hopefully is Port Vale 1st Sept, so far cannot find a decent route and price by train.
I find the 'Football Grounds Guide' website a mine of information. Especially for the nearest train station and walking directions.
Port Vale seems to be a tricky one.
It is going by train myself and its a taxi from Stoke station to Vale Park.

Goddard & woods wrote:
excessbee wrote:
bedeck wrote:Ok, a few responses there. Let's try to update each other about cheap travel and lifts etc. My next away game hopefully is Port Vale 1st Sept, so far cannot find a decent route and price by train.
I find the 'Football Grounds Guide' website a mine of information. Especially for the nearest train station and walking directions.
Port Vale seems to be a tricky one.
It is going by train myself and its a taxi from Stoke station to Vale Park.

Likely trip for me as well. Weybridge>LondonEuston>Longport. 20/30 mins walk to ground.

ta Dave

Amber Nation wrote:
pembsexile wrote:Ok, I'll show my ignorance. What is an OBE? Please, no comments about honours. It must have something to do with the word exile but I don't know the OB bit.
Hello Pembsexile! It actually started out from a meeting in my house in Kenilworth in the early nighties. Myself, the late Bob Basden, Rosemary Basden (Hatfield) and Chris Curtain (Hatfield) started a group called the “Over the Bridge Exiles”. Pre internet days of course, the group objectives were to assist in getting people to games (OBE qualification was living at least 25 miles from Newport), monthly newsletters and proving funds for the then manager Tim Harris to help strengthen the squad. The group developed to over 100 active members. There are still many OBE’s on this message board and many were involved in the administration the leadership of the group. They were good times and many friendships were built as a result.
Hi Amber Nation. Well I definitely meet the qualification criteria as I live much more than 25 miles from Newport. Just wondering if we can have a OCBE sub group. That is the Over the Canaston Bridge Exiles. That's in Pembs and I live way beyond there. :grin:

For what it is worth, I'm up for it. Good luck.

OBE’s ‘Another Bridge Too Far’

Just to let you know that I have just set a Facebook page called ‘Another Bridge Too Far’ It is specifically aimed for County fans living away from the Great People’s Republic of Newport and apart from some decent debate and discussion th hope is that we can galvanise some travel assistance to games and build in what was a great community of fans back in the day. Come and join the new OBE’s...Andrew UTC :cheers: