Re: Saturdays Ref

UPTHEPORT wrote:
lowandhard wrote:I can understand a young ref on the parks, with no linesmen getting a few things wrong. How this guy with assistants can make such a pig’s ear of reffing a football match I’ll never know. Waste of good food.

Your right Mike but he must be getting the marks and passing his fitness tests
Makes you wonder about assessments and assessors though , doesn’t it? I remember laughing at an assessor who marked me down because I had a very smart but old-fashioned refs kit ( remember the ones with detachable white cuffs and double breast pockets for notebook etc ? ), in the post match chat and advice he was giving, I downright refused to buy the new Admiral kit we were advised to buy since funnily enough it had no effect on my performance :roll:
It was at that point I began to wonder about the whole thing, especially as I was seeing donkeys promoted to ref on the football league.

UPTHEPORT wrote:He wasnt so bad today I was at the other end for Pen but it looked outside the box and was there any contact

It was a pen , but a very soft decision....He wouldn't have given it to us IMO.

It didn't take much contact for their player to go down and both officials bought it

6 out of 10 for me....How does he pass the FA fitness test ???

neilcork68 wrote:
UPTHEPORT wrote:He wasnt so bad today I was at the other end for Pen but it looked outside the box and was there any contact

It was a pen , but a very soft decision....He wouldn't have given it to us IMO.

It didn't take much contact for their player to go down and both officials bought it

6 out of 10 for me....How does he pass the FA fitness test ???
Clear penalty unfortunately - thought ref had good game - could have sent Crofts off two footed out of control although he did not make much contact.

OLDCROMWELLIAN wrote:Definately not a penalty. I was sat directly in line with penalty box 18 yard line, which was completely visible to me goal side when the contact was made. If a foul, (not sure who initiated the contact), free kick only.

If its a free kick and its in the box its a pen

UPTHEPORT wrote:
OLDCROMWELLIAN wrote:Definately not a penalty. I was sat directly in line with penalty box 18 yard line, which was completely visible to me goal side when the contact was made. If a foul, (not sure who initiated the contact), free kick only.

Obviously didn't explain it well enough. I clearly saw the contact was outside the box. Don't be fooled by players falling and or rolling into the box, like todays ref.

Apart from letting a couple of free kicks be taken miles from the offence, one for each team, I thought the ref had a great game. You don't get a game this good if the ref doesn't. He booked the only two bad tackles and the players respected him.

Live I thought the foul for the penalty was outside the box, but not a great view from near half-way. I freeze-framed it on TV and as the player went over his leg both Demetriou's feet were planted a foot inside the box, so it was a pen.

OLDCROMWELLIAN wrote:
UPTHEPORT wrote:

Obviously didn't explain it well enough. I clearly saw the contact was outside the box. Don't be fooled by players falling and or rolling into the box, like todays ref.
Except the contact (what there was) was inside the box and the player fell outside the box.

Except the contact (what there was) was inside the box and the player fell outside the box.[/quote]

Many apologies. Having watch it again on TV, i have to admit i was wrong and saw it arse backwards, as you say contact inside the box and player fell outside. So used to seeing it frequently the other way round. Perhaps i should remove my amber tinted glasses in future.

Thankfully it proved academic as the penalty was saved.