Re: ivy bush

Justanordinaryfan wrote:Whilst I agree any extra fundinbtowards the coffers is obviously good news, I just wonder what moves like these do to our overall value to the WRU?

got to agree with you....I don't think the 'powers that be' at the WRU will look at the latest move by the club as a positive move of 'building bridges' between the two sides.
Hope the BOD know what they are doing as its going to be interesting when the contract we have for RP needs to be re negotiated

neilcork68 wrote:
Justanordinaryfan wrote:Whilst I agree any extra fundinbtowards the coffers is obviously good news, I just wonder what moves like these do to our overall value to the WRU?

got to agree with you....I don't think the 'powers that be' at the WRU will look at the latest move by the club as a positive move of 'building bridges' between the two sides.
Hope the BOD know what they are doing as its going to be interesting when the contract we have for RP needs to be re negotiated
Just means the County contract is worth less to the WRU. They either put the rent up or say good bye.

Yet again it appears we are doing really well in building relationships.

In May this year we had the following in the press:
"Kevin Ward, former editor of the South Wales Argus, told tonight’s supporters’ open meeting: “My view is that the preferential position would be for us to remain in this venue but if we are to carry on in our current situation and the current terms of licence we play under, it’s not viable.”"

yes we can agree, so I thought from this we would be working hard in building the relationship, seeking support and breaking a deal with the WRU, and if not viable we would need to seek an alternative which could include "spytty" which means going to the council and so a good relationship with the council would be fundamental.

Then again in May in the press we have: Open letter highlights concerns over city centre
"Kevin Ward addressed the letter to the Chief Constable of Gwent Police, the Police and Crime Commissioner for Gwent, the chief executive of Newport City Council, the leader of Newport City Council, and the editor of the South Wales Argus".

Criticizing the WRU, Gwent Police and the city council (whether rightly or wrongly) is not going to help us build those positive relationships.

Yes Kevin has confirmed on this site he wrote this on behalf of Newport now and he didn't have his County hat on.
I feel however that when it comes to speaking with Newport City Council about the future of professional sports in the city, Will Godfrey would of prefered "concerns over city centre" to be raised privately and not via the press. Then again I suppose business is business.

And now we are faced with the ivy bush.
I am of the understanding that we take 5% from the marquee. This is a building which has staff, beers, energy bills, stewarding, licensing, already covered in our cost for using rp.

If we are taking a lease on a pub where we would have to pay for the upkeep, beers, staffing etc. 7 days a week which would probably only be open and busy at weekends that's including most of the 23 home games plus cup games per season how much profit would we really make?

And what will our landlords think? if they aren't making the right amount of money (in their view) to run a match day then the rent would need go up.

If RP doesn't feel like home and there's no viable alternative other than spytty (which is owned by the council), we should be working hard to try and build relationships for the future, and focus on making our current relationship work to make RP our home.

I am no expert in business so I don't know what the answer is. I just feel in life every part of success is linked to having a good relationship.

Good luck and see you saturday!

daftasfxxx wrote:To have a good relationship it takes both parties to want it, i would say its pretty obvious by now that one doesn't
due to a lack of official information, nothing is pretty obvious to me about the relationship, or indeed which side i would personally blame more than the other.

Have to say my instant reaction was cynical. The first thought was why in heaven don’t we just concentrate on the basics of running the club and not spread out. But I confess actually if this is done with some thought and creativity it could mean the difference between a community actively engaging in the growth of the club, or watching as it fades. Not my first choice for the club I admit but one I’ll support certainly.

daftasfxxx wrote:Really?
Rent doubled. Director quoted has saying the current situation is not viable,ticket office over the neon, shop over the kingsway, pub in Clarence place.
What part of that is not pretty obvious?
I agree one thing that is obvious and factually to me to date is as you say ticket office and shop in the Kingsway. That is different to what we were officially told previously would be happening. Pub in Clarence Place, still awaiting official announcement,although i have no reason to doubt it. As for the doubling of the rent i am still confused not having seen any official figures. Is it a yearly rent? plus yearly contribution to the pitch, £50,000 per year? plus match staging costs? Who knows what other costs? Far too many unanswered questions for me to come to a definitive conclusion. You may well have more information than me. My guess is (and it can only be a guess at this stage) is that the WRU has unfairly doubled the staging costs? Although Dragons chairmen has said it cannot be done cheaper? As with any disagreement/ difference of opinion i would always like to hear both sides take on things and all information available to me before apportioning blame. for what it's worth i want both the County and the Dragons ( I support both) to flourish harmoniously at RP. Too much to ask? probably.

If it comes to pass i'll probably pop into Ivy's bush Saturday before the game. Hope it proves successful