Re: What do you think the WRU are trying to do to Newport Co

The Newport wrote:I did a little bit of research and during my research and speaking to people via the emails and other means. My sources are telling me that they are hoping to sell the ground after 2020 and make a profit. So in order to do that they don't want sitting tenants. Otherwise it would quite difficult to sell the ground if Newport County are still there. I don't know how true this is.
Sold for what?

I cannot believe the council would allow any development on the site. That would mean they would have overseen building on Somerton Park and Rodney Parade in the same generation. This would effectively mean they have overseen the demise of two/three major sporting clubs in the city, whilst providing newport citizens with a running track.

The Newport wrote:
Cornish Exile wrote:
The Newport wrote:I did a little bit of research and during my research and speaking to people via the emails and other means. My sources are telling me that they are hoping to sell the ground after 2020 and make a profit. So in order to do that they don't want sitting tenants. Otherwise it would quite difficult to sell the ground if Newport County are still there. I don't know how true this is.
If that's the case, whats happening to The Dragons and Newport Rugby Club?

What was it the WRU said to Newport Rugby Club?
Answer: Whilst there's a professional Rugby Club at Rodney Parade ("The Dragons ") you can play at Rodney Parade rent free.

Where do you think they will go?
There's only one place for them to go. A place where there's no professional team. It begins with.
Nearly gave the place a way then. Have a good think about it I'm sure you already know.
So if NRFC decided to go professional???

The Newport Wrote:I did a little bit of research and during my research and speaking to people via the emails and other means. My sources are telling me that they are hoping to sell the ground after 2020 and make a profit. So in order to do that they don't want sitting tenants. Otherwise it would quite difficult to sell the ground if Newport County are still there. I don't know how true this is.
Cornish Exile wrote :
If that's the case, whats happening to The Dragons and Newport Rugby Club?[/quote]

The Newport Wrote :
Answer: Whilst there's a professional Rugby Club at Rodney Parade ("The Dragons ") you can play at Rodney Parade rent free.

There's only one place for them to go. A place where there's no professional team. It begins with.
Nearly gave the place a way then. Have a good think about it I'm sure you already know.[/quote]

willthiswork wrote :

The Newport Wrote :

Nearly gave the place a way then. Have a good think about it I'm sure you already know.[/quote]

The Newport Wrote :
I have added the following on to my last post.

Do you really think that the WRU care about what happens to Newport Rugby Club. I'm 100 Percent sure that they don't give two monkeys what happens to them.

The WRU got what they really wanted and that's Rodney Parade. The WRU have always been the same. They will never change. Here's something else for you to think about I understand that they are buying a Rugby ground in Cardiff between £14,000,000 and £20,000,000. How much do you think both ground would be worth if they sold them for housing or retail? Let's see the one Cardiff I would guess about £25,000,000 and I guess about £9,000,000 to £12,000,000 for Newport, that really good profit don't you think.

The Newport Wrote:I did a little bit of research and during my research and speaking to people via the emails and other means. My sources are telling me that they are hoping to sell the ground after 2020 and make a profit. So in order to do that they don't want sitting tenants. Otherwise it would quite difficult to sell the ground if Newport County are still there. I don't know how true this is.

Cornish Exile wrote :
If that's the case, whats happening to The Dragons and Newport Rugby Club?

The Newport Wrote :

Nearly gave the place a way then. Have a good think about it I'm sure you already know.

willthiswork wrote :

The Newport Wrote :

The Newport Wrote :
I have added the following on to my last post.

Do you really think that the WRU care about what happens to Newport Rugby Club. I'm 100 Percent sure that they don't give two monkeys what happens to them.

The WRU got what they really wanted and that's Rodney Parade. The WRU have always been the same. They will never change. Here's something else for you to think about I understand that they are buying a Rugby ground in Cardiff between £14,000,000 and £20,000,000. How much do you think both ground would be worth if they sold them for housing or retail? Let's see the one Cardiff I would guess about £25,000,000 and I guess about £9,000,000 to £12,000,000 for Newport, that really good profit don't you think.
After all it makes good Business sense don't you think.
Last edited by The Newport on August 11th, 2018, 10:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

I agree about being wary of the WRU. I believe that we have nothing to offer them. The rent/expenses we pay over are a drop in the ocean to them.
If I can take you back to Somerton Park days, we had for a while a local estate agent as Chairman. As soon as it was announced it was "he is only in it to build houses on Somerton Park" . Well, he of course didn't, but the Local Authority did !!
So whilst I agree that the WRU hold all the cards, I believe that they only do so because once again the Local Authority have paid no interest in Newport County.
Lovely social media messages when we played Leeds & Spurs and photos of the town (city) bustling. Unfortunately that was more about patting themselves on the back rather than us.
Unless the council really want to preserve any kind of sport at Rodney Parade we will end up a town (city) without any kind of professional sporting representation.
Last week it was announced that Northamptonshie Council were having to slash their budget by £70m pounds for the next financial year. £70 million ! I see no prospect of our council getting invovled in helping whilst this kind of thing is happening nationwide.
Many words have been spoken about lending £93m for Friars Walk and now more for more development. The bald truth is what is in it for Newport Borough Council to get involved in keeping Rodney Parade as a sporitng venue ?
I would suggest that they look at articles written by people involved at Swansea and its local council and other parties.
When Swansea won promotion the the Premier League the head of Swansea University was surprised by the large increase in applications from foreign students. The reason was Premier League football. It put the name of Swansea on the world map.
We will not find ourselves as another Swansea , but really if we are to push on as a city (town) it has to be a joint enterprise with the sporting teams and the council.
Problem is we now have a cuckoo in the nest, which the council could have, if they wanted to , prevented from being there.

Threadbare wrote:I agree about being wary of the WRU. I believe that we have nothing to offer them. The rent/expenses we pay over are a drop in the ocean to them.
If I can take you back to Somerton Park days, we had for a while a local estate agent as Chairman. As soon as it was announced it was "he is only in it to build houses on Somerton Park" . Well, he of course didn't, but the Local Authority did !!
So whilst I agree that the WRU hold all the cards, I believe that they only do so because once again the Local Authority have paid no interest in Newport County.
Lovely social media messages when we played Leeds & Spurs and photos of the town (city) bustling. Unfortunately that was more about patting themselves on the back rather than us.
Unless the council really want to preserve any kind of sport at Rodney Parade we will end up a town (city) without any kind of professional sporting representation.
Last week it was announced that Northamptonshie Council were having to slash their budget by £70m pounds for the next financial year. £70 million ! I see no prospect of our council getting invovled in helping whilst this kind of thing is happening nationwide.
Many words have been spoken about lending £93m for Friars Walk and now more for more development. The bald truth is what is in it for Newport Borough Council to get involved in keeping Rodney Parade as a sporitng venue ?
I would suggest that they look at articles written by people involved at Swansea and its local council and other parties.
When Swansea won promotion the the Premier League the head of Swansea University was surprised by the large increase in applications from foreign students. The reason was Premier League football. It put the name of Swansea on the world map.
We will not find ourselves as another Swansea , but really if we are to push on as a city (town) it has to be a joint enterprise with the sporting teams and the council.
Problem is we now have a cuckoo in the nest, which the council could have, if they wanted to , prevented from being there.
Here's something for everyone to think.
Did Newport Rugby really own Rodney Parade?

Someone needs to investigate whether they did or didn't own Rodney Parade.

OLDCROMWELLIAN wrote:Did Newport rugby club really own Rodney Parade? This thread appears to becoming even more bizarre.
No the thread doesn't appear to becoming Bizarre.
Did the WRU investigate whether Newport Rugby really own Rodney Parade or not. I think that is quite a reasonable question to ask. Don't you think so?

Just because Newport Rugby Club fans had shares in their Club doesn't mean that they owned Rodney Parade, does it?

Who owned Rodney Parade before Newport Rugby, decided they owned Rodney Parade?
How much did they pay for Rodney Parade?
And what does it actually say in the land documents about what the land can be used for?

I have done a little bit of research. Do you know why it is called Rodney Parade?