Re: What do you think the WRU are trying to do to Newport Co

Micheal wrote:ffs dont b vague just tell us why is it called rodney parade?
Thought my research I believe It was named Rodney by the Charles Morgan, 1st Baron Tredegar after the death of his eldest son Charles Rodney Morgan.

Charles Rodney Morgan (2 December 1828 – 14 January 1854) was a British politician. He was the Conservative Member of Parliament for Brecon from 1852 until his death in 1854, in Marseilles. He was the son of Charles Morgan, 1st Baron Tredegar.
Last edited by The Newport on August 12th, 2018, 4:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Willthiswork wrote:NRFC did own RP. It was given to (then) town by the Morgans of Tredegar House. NRFC later bought the land from Newport Athletic Club who purchased it previously.
Yes it was given to the people of Newport (so does that not mean Newport city Council are responsible for the ground and the upkeep and to look after it for the people of Newport) . Please read the following very carefully.

Godfrey Morgan, 1st Viscount Tredegar

Godfrey Charles Morgan, 1st Viscount Tredegar (28 April 1831 – 11 March 1913) was a British Army officer and peer.

Godfrey Morgan
1st Viscount Tredegar

Born
28 April 1831

Died
11 March 1913 (aged 81)

Nationality
Welsh

There is painting of Lord Tredegar which was painted in 1910 by George Fredrick Harris (I believe it hangs at Tredegar House in Newport)

Tredegar was born on 28 April 1831 in Ruperra Castle, Glamorganshire, the eldest son of Charles Morgan, 1st Baron Tredegar. He was educated at Eton and joined the British Army in 1853.

The painting was Inscription to Godfrey Morgan, the 1st Viscount Tredegar.

When the Crimean War broke out in 1854, Tredegar, aged 22, held the rank of Captain in the 17th Lancers and accompanied his famous regiment to the scene of the great struggle. He was in action at the Battle of Alma and later on 25 October 1854 was in command of a section of the Light Brigade that rode into the 'Valley of Death' at the Battle of Balaclava, which he survived. Godfrey's horse, 'Sir Briggs', also survived, and lived at Tredegar's home, Tredegar House, Newport, Wales until his death at the age of 28. He was buried in the Cedar Garden at Tredegar House (though not with full military honours as is frequently believed). The monument still stands there today, I believe.

In later years, as other members of the Morgan family had been in the past, he became a benefactor to the people of Newport. Large tracts of land were donated to the Newport Corporation for the benefit of the public, including Belle Vue Park, the Royal Gwent Hospital and Newport Athletics Grounds. This earned him the nickname of "Godfrey the Good" among local people. He served as High Sheriff of Monmouthshire for 1858. Tredegar succeeded his father as 2nd Baron Tredegar in 1875.

Thought my research and up until now. I find no evidence to suggest that Rodney Parade, is or was owned by Newport Rugby Club Unless there is someone that can prove me wrong. As I don't live in Newport and they actually have better access to paper work that I'm unable to have access too.
One can never be 100 Percent. So if there is someone in Newport that can help with research please do.

You are barking up the wrong tree on this.

The members of Newport Athletic Club voted to incorporate the Club with a share capital of £5,000,000 on 9th July 1998. By further special meeting on 27th July 1998 members voted to transfer all assets including the ground to the incorporated Club and to dissolve and wind up the original members club. All existing members received shares in the new incorporated club. Subsequently the club changed its name to Newport Rugby Football Club Limited.

The Newport wrote:I did a little bit of research and during my research and speaking to people via the emails and other means. My sources are telling me that they are hoping to sell the ground after 2020 and make a profit. So in order to do that they don't want sitting tenants. Otherwise it would quite difficult to sell the ground if Newport County are still there. I don't know how true this is.
So are they looking to sell the ground...

1) for development? or 2) as a going concern to someone who wants to buy a sports facility in Newport?

With 1) are there covenants protecting the use for sport, thus preventing that? We already know Newport City Council's preferred location for a sports ground in Newport is Rodney Parade - or at least "a city centre location" of which there aren't any other options. They have various options available to prevent development if they don't want RP developed.

With 2) if looking to sell the ground as a going concern, only Newport County AFC or Newport RFC could be buyers to use for themselves and neither of them have the money to buy it, or they sell it to someone else who wants to rent it to those clubs at a rent they can afford or the ground isn't viable - this could potentially be a different private owner or Newport City Council (who also can't afford it given existing funding).

Another question, it would have to be "after 2023" because we're contractually protected until then aren't we?

Agree that after 2023 will come the telling time, as I cannot see the County have any other option than RP until then. As the Dragons have publicly stated their intention to develop the cabbage patch area to provide income for themselves as opposed to selling maybe things may change by 2023? Of course I do realise that the WRU are the owners not the Dragons so they will have the final say.

frostyjohn wrote:You are barking up the wrong tree on this.

The members of Newport Athletic Club voted to incorporate the Club with a share capital of £5,000,000 on 9th July 1998. By further special meeting on 27th July 1998 members voted to transfer all assets including the ground to the incorporated Club and to dissolve and wind up the original members club. All existing members received shares in the new incorporated club. Subsequently the club changed its name to Newport Rugby Football Club Limited.

1. Are there any documents to verify this?
2. If there are documents would you know where I can get copies of the said documents?
3. Was there anyone from the local newspaper at the said meeting?

If you don't want to reply on here you are more than welcome to contact me via Private Message.

Edit : You are right about the name change. Just did a quick check on the uk's Companies House "NEWPORT RUGBY FOOTBALL CLUB LIMITED
Company Number 03559359"

But I'm still interested in copies of any paper work and anything on the meeting?

I appreciate what you are saying about barking up the wrong tree. With respect I would like to make my own decisions.
Last edited by The Newport on August 13th, 2018, 12:28 am, edited 3 times in total.

SJG99 wrote:
The Newport wrote:I did a little bit of research and during my research and speaking to people via the emails and other means. My sources are telling me that they are hoping to sell the ground after 2020 and make a profit. So in order to do that they don't want sitting tenants. Otherwise it would quite difficult to sell the ground if Newport County are still there. I don't know how true this is.
So are they looking to sell the ground...

1) for development? or 2) as a going concern to someone who wants to buy a sports facility in Newport?

With 1) are there covenants protecting the use for sport, thus preventing that? We already know Newport City Council's preferred location for a sports ground in Newport is Rodney Parade - or at least "a city centre location" of which there aren't any other options. They have various options available to prevent development if they don't want RP developed.

With 2) if looking to sell the ground as a going concern, only Newport County AFC or Newport RFC could be buyers to use for themselves and neither of them have the money to buy it, or they sell it to someone else who wants to rent it to those clubs at a rent they can afford or the ground isn't viable - this could potentially be a different private owner or Newport City Council (who also can't afford it given existing funding).

Another question, it would have to be "after 2023" because we're contractually protected until then aren't we?
I will answer some of your questions, but not at the moment.

frostyjohn wrote:See here - freehold purchased from Tredegar Estates by Newport Athletic Club in 1923:-

http://www.historyofnewport.co.uk/artic ... ?id=000022

Rodney Parade was donated to the people of Newport. And was handed over to "Newport Corporation" to look after and maintain the ground.
Newport City Council, also known as Newport Corporation.

So who did they actually buy Rodney Parade from (do you know)?
I would appreciate your help if possible. If you are unable to help maybe you could point me in the right direction.