Re: GRANDSTAND? V Crewe 11/08/2019

Blackandamber wrote:
OLDCROMWELLIAN wrote:Was it just my impression, but was the atmosphere a little muted today. Could it be because of all the negative speculation and rumour surrounding our future.
Seemed ok in the Hazell. Bit muted on this grandstand thread though after a good win. Would have been different if we'd lost.

Yes indeed. The long knives would have been out

Re: GRANDSTAND? V Crewe 11/08/2019

Good performance today. Much much better than what was dished out last weekend.

Few things to ponder.

Pipe MUST play.
Harris was great. Showed some class and willingness to run at defenders, something we haven't seen since Jolley in Conference.
Joe Day is one of the best, if not the best, keeper in this division. For those that have been saying he doesn't command his box and is a bit of a flapper, yesterday showed that he has improved his all round game.
Sheehan "in the hole" is much better than Marsh-Brown and Matt doing sweet fa out wide.
I'm still not convinced that Crofts, Dolan & Bennett work as a triumvirat. Think we were lucky that Crewe were very average as 4 at the back doesn't allow Pipe & Butler to get forward as much as they should. Saying that, because Crewe offered little, they both managed to attack regularly. Perhaps the role of Bennett is to drop into a central 3 if the full backs do go forward. Will see how that develops more I guess.
Amond is a class above at this level. I think Harris will make him an even better player, hopefully more prolific.
Franks is also showing that he is more than an able replacement for Ben White. The partnership with Mickey D is formidable in this division.

So where are our weaknesses?
The midfield lacks pace. We are s l o w...... When Dolan is our quickest midfielder (Sheehan apart) then you know we are in trouble! Our full backs aren't exactly the quickest either.
Goals. 2 games, 1 goal. We've had plenty of chances - 27 shots (officially) over the 2 games. 10 shots on target (officially) which I would suggest that 80% are from Podge.

Considering Crewe won 6-0 last week, they were fairly innocuous. We played football on the deck and not int he air and we actually ran at defenders and moved the ball round easily. I'm hoping Matt & Marsh-Brown aren't on big money as they are going to be bench warmers on this showing. However, we do have a small squad and a run of injuries & suspensions will test us big time.

All in all a fairly content Beefy after last week's horror show!