Re: GRANDSTAND? V Crewe 11/08/2019

Matt came on for the last few minutes and Marsh Brown was injured and did not start. So Beefy a bit harsh.
Although do agree about our midfield which certainly looked vulnerable last 25 minutes Sheehan good on the ball catches the eye but gave the ball away too easily and a puff of wind would blow him over, Dolan cannot chase back and track his markers lacks so much pace, Croft again slow and too methodical does not chase and close down enough.
First half our midfield were more assertive and proactive.
All in all our defence played so, so well it camouflaged the gaping holes and gaps that Crewe's pace exploited through the middle in the second half this area is certainly a weakness at the moment.
The defence needed and need more help and cover towards the last 25 to 15 minutes of the game when our midfield were running on fumes and not getting back quick enough to defend. This was a issue last season as well !
All the positives go to all our defence, Amond and Harris combination upfront were the highlights of a good victory.
Last edited by somerton moss on August 12th, 2018, 8:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

OLDCROMWELLIAN wrote:Was it just my impression, but was the atmosphere a little muted today. Could it be because of all the negative speculation and rumour surrounding our future.
It wasn't muted where I sat. I doubt that the negativity and speculation on this board would have had any effect anyway - I imagine that the majority of those there yesterday don't look at this board so have no idea what's being said. They neither know nor care what's being said unofficially.

stevie83 wrote:
Exile 1976 wrote:Good performance, great result. Genuinely hope Stevie83 managed to cancel his ST though after his hissy fit after ONE game away to one of the favourites for promotion :roll: :lol:
Come on the Porrrrrrrrrt !
Yep what did i miss
Also the same side who struggled at Yeovil yes didn't expect anything last week but we just rolled over and as I made a 8 hour round trip I can rant if needed they were woeful last week Harris looks better than Matt and some decent link up with podge anyway enjoy your day

bignbeefy wrote: I'm still not convinced that Crofts, Dolan & Bennett work as a triumvirat. Think we were lucky that Crewe were very average as 4 at the back doesn't allow Pipe & Butler to get forward as much as they should. Saying that, because Crewe offered little, they both managed to attack regularly. Perhaps the role of Bennett is to drop into a central 3 if the full backs do go forward. Will see how that develops more I guess..
Not sure what you were watching but we played 3 at the back yesterday, Bennett was in the middle of a back 3 and why Butler was forward a lot of the time.

Ugo. wrote:
bignbeefy wrote: I'm still not convinced that Crofts, Dolan & Bennett work as a triumvirat. Think we were lucky that Crewe were very average as 4 at the back doesn't allow Pipe & Butler to get forward as much as they should. Saying that, because Crewe offered little, they both managed to attack regularly. Perhaps the role of Bennett is to drop into a central 3 if the full backs do go forward. Will see how that develops more I guess..
Not sure what you were watching but we played 3 at the back yesterday, Bennett was in the middle of a back 3 and why Butler was forward a lot of the time.
Quite, what was you watching beefy?

somerton moss wrote:Matt came on for the last few minutes and Marsh Brown was injured and did not start. So Beefy a bit harsh.
Although do agree about our midfield which certainly looked vulnerable last 25 minutes Sheehan good on the ball catches the eye but gave the ball away too easily and a puff of wind would blow him over, Dolan cannot chase back and track his markers lacks so much pace, Croft again slow and too methodical does not chase and close down enough.
First half our midfield were more assertive and proactive.
All in all our defence played so, so well it camouflaged the gaping holes and gaps that Crewe's pace exploited through the middle in the second half this area is certainly a weakness at the moment.
The defence needed and need more help and cover towards the last 25 to 15 minutes of the game when our midfield were running on fumes and not getting back quick enough to defend. This was a issue last season as well !
All the positives go to all our defence, Amond and Harris combination upfront were the highlights of a good victory.
Crewe are a decent side who were chasing the game hard in the last quarter - I thought the midfield did well all contributing - yes they tired but a good sub made with Cooper adding a bit of energy. It is now a 14 man game so you expect some players not to make a full 90 mins at full speed - Dolan was v good yesterday buzzing around always ready to take the ball. Starting 11 had good balance hope to see this as the first 11.

Without Marsh Brown and Wilmott, Flynn moved to a back 3 pushing on the wing backs as the width and allowed Sheehan and Dolan a bit of license with Crofts holding. Amond and Harris both played well and I thought Semenyo, who I haven't seen mentioned, showed promise when he came on. The back 3 were very solid with Franks outstanding. Worth sticking with this formation as it suits us.

westsider wrote:
OLDCROMWELLIAN wrote:Was it just my impression, but was the atmosphere a little muted today. Could it be because of all the negative speculation and rumour surrounding our future.
It wasn't muted where I sat. I doubt that the negativity and speculation on this board would have had any effect anyway - I imagine that the majority of those there yesterday don't look at this board so have no idea what's being said. They neither know nor care what's being said unofficially.
Its a fair point that the majority probably don't care what's being said unofficially. Perhaps i just had an unrealistic expectation of the atmosphere today. Afterall can't have Leeds or Tottenham every week

Percy plunkett wrote:I remember in the Conference,fans saying "what does Max Porter do".He sat in midfield,closed down their players,put in tackles and was always available for a pass.That is what Crofts is doing,the non flash unsexy things that need doing.
Agree good post Crofts pulling the strings will free the creativity in Dolan and Sheehan