Thank you Bar Amber @the Ivy Bush

The opening of our trust pub has now passed and what a huge success. I would like to say thank you to all who have helped getting us over the line. The community spirt has been fantastic, the positive feel good factor, donations, trades people offereing works at zero cost, people popping in and just helping, cleaning, bottling up etc etc. It's times like this that makes me proud of our community and proud of the Newport County fans.

What I would like is feedback, nothing will be received by myself as negative but as constructive criticism. We need to know how to get better. This is a trust pub, run by the fans for the fans with 100% profit going to the club.
If we know what needs to be improved then we can build on it and get better and better.
Again thank you for your support, see you in the pub soon. UTC.

Ryan Courtney.

Re: Thank you Bar Amber @the Ivy Bush

Hi Ryan,

First impressions are it was a good first effort and something that could evolve over time to be a real asset for the club.

Suggestions for improvements;

How feesible would it be to set up a temporary bar outside in the bit under cover as you walk in? I'm thinking similar to what they have under the Hazell for the rugby just 2 or 3 pumps. It would take the pressure off the bar at busy times. Alternatively knock out cans a £2 a pop.

Dragons and Newport Rugby supporters trusts;
Could we get them involved for their match days with a % going to their respective trusts? Just thinking of ways to utilise the bar for non County match days...

I felt like it could become our new home Saturday but it would need to be tweaked to fully maximise its potential. It got too busy around 2 so we walked to The Dodger to get a quick pint before kick off.

A good start though, hopefully it becomes a good earner for the club.

Up the County :cheers:

How many women in there - not suggesting that it's men only but is it very male orientated? What is there to drink, other than beer? Are there ciders - be nice if there are and if they're something other than the bog standard, Strongbow, Thatchers and Blackthorn. If not, I'm afraid it'll continue to be Spoons or Tiny Rebel for me - both of whom also do decent food at reasonable prices and provide a choice.

newgroundrodney wrote:What are you planning in terms of signage? Are you going for a full sign-written frontage, or just a banner across the front?
We have agreed with the building owner to have complete new signage, county badge pride of place and a fixture board for up coming games as well as the front being painted black and amber. The signs, paint and labour have all been supplied through donations at no cost to the trust UTC

bedeck wrote:I was there Sat, had a great time, had 4 pints. Ideas a real ale or two would be nice( Tiny Rebel connection), few more staff from 2pm, pies sound a great idea.Is £2.80 a pint too cheap move to £3.00?
Cheers for that and yes we have already agreed a guest ale what it is yet I don't know but probably a local supplier

westsider wrote:How many women in there - not suggesting that it's men only but is it very male orientated? What is there to drink, other than beer? Are there ciders - be nice if there are and if they're something other than the bog standard, Strongbow, Thatchers and Blackthorn. If not, I'm afraid it'll continue to be Spoons or Tiny Rebel for me - both of whom also do decent food at reasonable prices and provide a choice.
Cheers for that. Come along, have a look and support the trust. Your help would be much appreciated if you could offer any

Thought it worked well. As someone else has said above, if it's possible to knock out cans or bottles at a large profit margin somewhere external to the bar that would work for me personally, and might get over the large queues which naturally formed at around 2pm.

I'm not precious about whether I drink from a glass, bottle or can. £2.00 a can or bottle, having bought them from the cash 'n' carry for about 80p sounds good business to me!

I think selling cans is a good idea. Even at current supermarket prices, a can of Carling from Asda is 97p a pint when bought in a box of 12 x 440ml cans.... so £2 a can would run out at £2.58 a pint, giving us £24 return on a £9 case.
The thing about cans, is beers like Guinness Draught, Worthington, Caffreys etc, when cold, when poured into a glass, are every bit as good as over the bar, often you can't tell the difference....but they need to be cold! If I remember correctly, RP sold cans at £4 each which works out at £5.16 a pint.
If we get the pricing, the size of the can, and the range right, we'll make a killing!

Can I make a suggestion?..... why not poll the fans and ASK them what beers to sell?
" From the ten items listed, please indicate your favourite 6 items in order of preference"...something like that. This is an ideal opportunity for some fan engagement on something that really matters, because it'll make the club money.... ASK THE FANS is what I say.