Amond

Have we got one of the best centre forwards in League 2 , and can we hold onto him ?

MF in The Gus today saying he doesn't want him to score too many cos "we're trying to keep hold of him !"

Thoughts ??? ......

Re: Amond

I hope he scores as many as he can - that's what strikers are meant to do and a problem for every football manager is to keep hold of a goalscorer. I would rather have that problem than a striker who does not score! It probably means that Flynny hasn't got enough in the wage bill to offer him an improved contract. Although if we had a six figure offer like the one banded about a couple of weeks ago I would consider selling him - he's 30 now so we need to consider any serious offer.

It should be win-win if he does well. We’ll carry on creeping up the league, and we should be able to get some much-needed funds if we cash in. Losing players isn’t ideal, but that’s the situation we’re going to be in for some time, so we need to make the most of it.

Cornish Exile wrote:I should imagine Mike Flynn's remarks were made with tongue firmly in cheek.
I don't doubt they were made "tongue in cheek", but it does suggest that there has been interest from elsewhere ?
I think the guy is superb for us and would also say he's one of the best in League 2 .
Just hope the other strikers and attacking midfielders can chip in with a few goals just in case .......

Corpaboy wrote:
Cornish Exile wrote:I should imagine Mike Flynn's remarks were made with tongue firmly in cheek.
I don't doubt they were made "tongue in cheek", but it does suggest that there has been interest from elsewhere ?
I think the guy is superb for us and would also say he's one of the best in League 2 .
Just hope the other strikers and attacking midfielders can chip in with a few goals just in case .......
Well I can't see us agreeing to send him out on loan so he is with us until January unless the interest is from the likes of Real Madrid.

Justanordinaryfan wrote:If there’s interest come Jan, and I’m sure there will be if he keeps banging them in, don’t forget his contract length is greatly reduced, which will greatly determine what cash we can get for him.
Hopefully we can get him to agree a longer deal before we sell him then. ;)

SJG99 wrote:
Justanordinaryfan wrote:If there’s interest come Jan, and I’m sure there will be if he keeps banging them in, don’t forget his contract length is greatly reduced, which will greatly determine what cash we can get for him.
Which is an interesting concept. If a player comes to the end of his contract and another club want to buy a transfer fee is still paid. But it is the player and not the club who receives the fee. If the club wish to keep the player then at the end of the contract the club have to pay the transfer fee to the player. That is simple economics, the principle of supply and demand.

The is one way that a club can avoid this but it has a cost. That cost being that the club take the hit in the case of loss of form or injury.

In terms, if we want to keep Amond without breaking the bank, we need to offer him a new contract for at least two years and preferably three now. Not next April, now. And if he doesn't wish to avail himself of the offer we need to start planning for his replacement now.

This is not a criticism of the club, the player, or anybody. It is the way of the world.

If Amond, Day, Butler and Mickey D don't sign before xmas Im guessing they will all be walking out for free next year or kicking up a fuss in jan if we don't accept any offers for them. After what happened to Labadie I cant see them just running down their contract if someone offers for them in Jan.

Amond is one of the best strikers in the League his talent for finding space and gaps in and around the box outwitting towering centre backs is second to none.
Exeter's Jayden Stockley is up there with the best strikers in this League different animal to Amond more powerful and well over 6ft both great in the air and match winners.
Let Amond be the striker that strikes today and seals the points.

Stan A. Einstein wrote:
SJG99 wrote:
Which is an interesting concept. If a player comes to the end of his contract and another club want to buy a transfer fee is still paid. But it is the player and not the club who receives the fee. If the club wish to keep the player then at the end of the contract the club have to pay the transfer fee to the player. That is simple economics, the principle of supply and demand.

The is one way that a club can avoid this but it has a cost. That cost being that the club take the hit in the case of loss of form or injury.

In terms, if we want to keep Amond without breaking the bank, we need to offer him a new contract for at least two years and preferably three now. Not next April, now. And if he doesn't wish to avail himself of the offer we need to start planning for his replacement now.

This is not a criticism of the club, the player, or anybody. It is the way of the world.
I'm starting to get worried about how often I'm agreeing with you at the moment.

Bush wrote:If Amond, Day, Butler and Mickey D don't sign before xmas Im guessing they will all be walking out for free next year or kicking up a fuss in jan if we don't accept any offers for them. After what happened to Labadie I cant see them just running down their contract if someone offers for them in Jan.
We're not in a great spot if we need to find money for four key players' new deals or replacements for half the team at a time when we're struggling with cashflow. Another couple of big cup games will be essential to trying to keep things ticking over and for continuity.