Re: August Board Meeting - Redacted Minutes

Alan G Bryant wrote:
And in three years how much exactly have
Spot on. So let's get

What a simple solution, who do you envisage stepping up to the plate with said deeper pockets?
Last Saturday Newport County played Crewe. We know by dividing the gate receipts alone by the number of attendees that each paying spectator spends an average of £15 to enter the stadium.

So last Saturday afternoon County supporters contribution was about £50,000. Which over a season of 23 home games is well over £1,000,000. You then examine all of the other income streams, from shop sales to EFL grant and so on and you calculate your annual income.

Whatever that income you budget to spend slightly less. If the income is not big enough you either cut back expenditure or find ways of increasing the income stream. Preferably both.

If you borrow it should only be to invest in long term infrastructure, such as a stadium. And not for short term expediency. (That was where we f@cked up in the mid 1980's)

I know that sounds all very simple. That's because the correct solution usually is.

Alan - it was merely a response to your comment, which implied that the the supporters had not done enough over the past few years since the initial fundraising.

Has it dawned on you or those running the club that perhaps the reasons are;

a) They can't, or
b) They simply won't.

Irrespective of my views on who should take over, the fact is that the current system isn't working and it is merely a matter of time before this club is on its knees again.

With that being the case we have a choice; sleepwalk back into oblivion, or give someone else a go. I will leave it in the capable hands of the elected board to source these individuals but, suffice to say, I am extremely confident that they exist - and that they exist locally. If we are unable to convince them, then we need to employ new people who are capable of convincing them.

whoareya wrote: What are your thoughts on conditions of engagement, bearing in mind they would be taking control of a club that had a huge injection of free cash, is virtually debt free and has a guaranteed FL income stream? I was thinking of full reimbursement/buy back of the Community Shares at least? If a JV is agreed then I'd like to see a Not For Profit version, whereby any net income is retained in trust to feed the operational budget, or even invested on behalf of the club? If these long awaited 'local businessmen' really are football people with the club at heart it would be interesting to see if their interest evaporates when there's no personal profit to be made?
And ongoing running costs of half a million quid more than it generates. It's a money sink, anyone coming in will probably have to write off a million quid every two years for the privilege of owning basically nothing. There's very little in the way of assets which give anyone security against their investment - at least when a club owns its ground there's some collateral and something tangible to show for the investment.

What exactly do County's assets consist of?

Stan A. Einstein wrote:
Alan G Bryant wrote:
And in three years how much exactly have
Spot on. So let's get

What a simple solution, who do you envisage stepping up to the plate with said deeper pockets?
Last Saturday Newport County played Crewe. We know by dividing the gate receipts alone by the number of attendees that each paying spectator spends an average of £15 to enter the stadium.

So last Saturday afternoon County supporters contribution was about £50,000. Which over a season of 23 home games is well over £1,000,000. You then examine all of the other income streams, from shop sales to EFL grant and so on and you calculate your annual income.

Whatever that income you budget to spend slightly less. If the income is not big enough you either cut back expenditure or find ways of increasing the income stream. Preferably both.

If you borrow it should only be to invest in long term infrastructure, such as a stadium. And not for short term expediency. (That was where we f@cked up in the mid 1980's)

I know that sounds all very simple. That's because the correct solution usually is.
Can't argue with anything there. (For once ;) ).

The problem is that without some inspired community/academy/fundraising ideas, running the club within its means probably puts us in a permanent relegation battle.

Let's be honest, owning a football club is largely an ego thing. The only reasons people will be getting involved are to improve their own status, or to market their other business interests. Both are fine with me.

Three big, local businesses getting involved at £150,000 a year each would be seen as a drop in the ocean to some, and basically just an extension of their advertising campaigns. Give them a stand each, give them a shirt each - get them involved. I wonder whether we have ever approached Admiral, for example? This is the route I would be exploring. Unless you engage with these people you'll never know. Start inviting them to games, give them a hospitality box, invite them to sponsor some matches and shirts, etc. Would be interesting to know whether anything like this goes on behind the scenes, because my distinct impression is that our marketing is reactive rather than proactive.

SJG99 wrote:
whoareya wrote: What are your thoughts on conditions of engagement, bearing in mind they would be taking control of a club that had a huge injection of free cash, is virtually debt free and has a guaranteed FL income stream? I was thinking of full reimbursement/buy back of the Community Shares at least? If a JV is agreed then I'd like to see a Not For Profit version, whereby any net income is retained in trust to feed the operational budget, or even invested on behalf of the club? If these long awaited 'local businessmen' really are football people with the club at heart it would be interesting to see if their interest evaporates when there's no personal profit to be made?
And ongoing running costs of half a million quid more than it generates. It's a money sink, anyone coming in will probably have to write off a million quid every two years for the privilege of owning basically nothing. There's very little in the way of assets which give anyone security against their investment - at least when a club owns its ground there's some collateral and something tangible to show for the investment.

a) players - sell the best and we know the result
b) a large bag of footballs
c) stock in the club shop
d) a few cases of beer in the Ivy Bush

That should be enough to convince the local businessmen to throw a load of cash our way.

Think we need a wealthy benefactor on an ego trip. I know we had one before but we need one who will invest in the infrastructure of the club. What we don't need is one who will only invest in the playing staff on the off chance of getting the best seat at Wembley.

amberbhoy wrote:Alan G Bryant. Why would people shell out more of their hard earned when no one knows where the last wedge went. Every time people ask for answers someone on the board either resigns or are questioning their position. Does not fill me with confidence to part with mine I'm afraid.
Sometimes I get depressed reading this board. But other times I get hopeful.

The Alan G Bryant's, the Jimmy Exile's et al perhaps don't reflect the views of most County supporters. Just perhaps the majority of us, whilst quite properly disagreeing on various topics, can see the real problems that face us.

The real problem is that we are failing to develop a club. I read with incredulity the phrase in the redacted notes of the last board meeting.

We all need to pull together.

Really? I think pulling together means giving people accurate information. I think pulling together means working out a destination. I think pulling together means working to achieve that. I think that pulling together means trying ideas and expanding the ones that work and pulling the ones that don't. I think pulling together means means making Newport County part of our community.

I think saying that we can't tell you what is going on because that would damage the business so just give us your money and shut the f@ck up is not only not pulling together but is destined to fail.

amberbhoy wrote:Alan G Bryant. Why would people shell out more of their hard earned when no one knows where the last wedge went. Every time people ask for answers someone on the board either resigns or are questioning their position. Does not fill me with confidence to part with mine I'm afraid.
Who has resigned because someone has asked where the last wedge went?

To me it's blindingly obvious where it went, but I agree maybe the board should give a more detailed account, although this would not improve transparency it would just heighten the level of scrutiny from some supporters who only want to accentuate what the club does wrong.

SJG99 wrote:

But it's not ongoing running costs of half a million quid more than it generates, the costs fluctuate year on year, depending on the extent of creative accounting applied. I must concede that the recently reported potential black hole (had we not benefitted by £750,000 from a cup run that is unlikely to be repeated) is very concerning and needs to be explained in full at next month's meeting. It's not enough to publish summarised accounts if the club's operation really is that vulnerable. Couple that to prolonged 'business sensitive' silence to the extent that not a single word of the July Board meeting could be published in redacted form and it just serves as propaganda to convince Trust members that the current model is untenable and must be handed over to 'local businessmen' as soon as possible.

If I was a conspiracy believer I might just think that was the intention......