Re: BREAK EVEN FOR THIS SEASON

newgroundrodney wrote:What we needed was for the fans of the club to step up to the plate financially. What we needed is what I said all along, "1500 fans donating £30 a month"... trouble is, it was not focused on at the TIME. There was too much emphasis on the buying of shares, and not enough emphasis on the monthly donation ongoing. Many thought, and still do, that joining The Trust for a tenner is doing their bit. Joining the Trust gets you your right to vote & attend certain meetings, that's it. What ELSE will you do for the club? In a time when simply buying tickets and a bit of merchandise is not enough, we need fans who are willing to cough up monthly.
We have an average home fans figure of just over 3100..... now, as I've said before, around half of those will be children, seniors, students, low paid & unemployed, but the other half, the "financially able" half, have not stepped forward.
To paraphrase Chris Blight: "it's easier to ask 1500 people for £30 a month, than to ask one man for £500k"....and he is absolutely right.
For whatever reason, the fans who ARE able, have not been willing......and in a way, why should they, when you think of what we've been told:
... " there'll be much more transparency going forward, and we know we've fallen short on this so far. It will improve".....
... " you'll get more say on a range of issues"
... " there'll be regular meetings"....
...." there'll be regular updates ".....

If we ditch the model, we'll get even less say.
I've said it before, and I'll say it again, we need a packaged monthly payment scheme to include Trust Membership, Match Ticket & Benefits & rewards donation. When we have that, perhaps we'll get the money we need monthly.
Those who wish to buy their Season Ticket up front could still do so.
We all know what is needed and that’s to contribute more to the club. It’s not rocket science. However, statements like “stepping up to the plate” are rather crude. Fact is though watching a Division 4 club is expensive enough as it is. I think you are dreaming if you think fans in Newport can pay another £30 per month on top, plus many already contribute to the lottery and sub draw.
For me the above applies regardless of who / how the club is run.

faerun exile wrote:
newgroundrodney wrote:What we needed was for the fans of the club to step up to the plate financially. What we needed is what I said all along, "1500 fans donating £30 a month"... trouble is, it was not focused on at the TIME. There was too much emphasis on the buying of shares, and not enough emphasis on the monthly donation ongoing. Many thought, and still do, that joining The Trust for a tenner is doing their bit. Joining the Trust gets you your right to vote & attend certain meetings, that's it. What ELSE will you do for the club? In a time when simply buying tickets and a bit of merchandise is not enough, we need fans who are willing to cough up monthly.
We have an average home fans figure of just over 3100..... now, as I've said before, around half of those will be children, seniors, students, low paid & unemployed, but the other half, the "financially able" half, have not stepped forward.
To paraphrase Chris Blight: "it's easier to ask 1500 people for £30 a month, than to ask one man for £500k"....and he is absolutely right.
For whatever reason, the fans who ARE able, have not been willing......and in a way, why should they, when you think of what we've been told:
... " there'll be much more transparency going forward, and we know we've fallen short on this so far. It will improve".....
... " you'll get more say on a range of issues"
... " there'll be regular meetings"....
...." there'll be regular updates ".....

If we ditch the model, we'll get even less say.
I've said it before, and I'll say it again, we need a packaged monthly payment scheme to include Trust Membership, Match Ticket & Benefits & rewards donation. When we have that, perhaps we'll get the money we need monthly.
Those who wish to buy their Season Ticket up front could still do so.
We all know what is needed and that’s to contribute more to the club. It’s not rocket science. However, statements like “stepping up to the plate” are rather crude. Fact is though watching a Division 4 club is expensive enough as it is. I think you are dreaming if you think fans in Newport can pay another £30 per month on top, plus many already contribute to the lottery and sub draw.

..except that if a group of business people run the Club, they'd be expected to take up the slack, or put the club through the hoop. In a hybrid model they still get to request / receive money from a Trust with less input that it ever had.
The truth is, the city of Newport, to me as an outsider, is always putting itself forward as dilapidated, skint, hardly any shops, people have no money, we still drive Ford Sierras.....in which case, it'll end up with the football club it can support / afford.

Alan G Bryant wrote:
SJG99 wrote: Five thousand people donating £10 a month when the football club attracts about 2000 fewer than that to actually watch them provide something in return for their money? Not going to happen.

Yes, but why should it not happen?

We had over 6,000 against Wrexham, 13,000 against York and could have sold Tottenham out twice over. If it was just £9 a month minimum for example, it is not unachievable.
It is not achievable, because by definition those attendances are exceptions. People are turning up for a trip to Wembley with County are playing, not people turning up for County at home two or three times a month. Same with the Leeds and Spurs home crowds (and the priority qualifying games cleverly used by the Board to increase revenue).

Asking people who turn up once or twice a year to fork out £10 a month for no particular reason just on the off-chance that in doing that, it MIGHT provide the chance of something for them like a big club playing County simply will not work. People just don't do that. Your regular attendees, and a few remotely located interested parties, are the only people who are going to even consider that - and not all of them can afford to do that either.

faerun exile wrote:
You are right but.

Newport is a big town. The industrialized area of the old county of Monmouthshire is one of the most densely populated parts of the UK.

My view is that we need to start asking the right question. That being what do we need to do to engage all those people who might support Newport County by watching us on a regular basis?

If the people of the Newport conurbation are different from the other sixty million people in the UK and Brian Harris was right, there is nothing we can do. But deep down we all know that is total bollox.

So do we carry on as we have been? Blaming the people of Newport and begging some white knight to save us.? Or do we start trying to develop a club?

Sadly looking at developments over the last couple of weeks, I fear we are about to make the wrong choice again.

People will always turn up for the big games but it aint to watch the county. For anyone who has watched us during the farmers leagues then league 2 seems like the big time but in reality if you don't watch county and just watch the premier league then its an eye opener watching league two football because its crap. The amount of people ive brought over to watch games and they laugh at the standard.

End of the day a club with 1400 trust members shouldn't be owning and running a football league club. We would have a great time 3 divisions below but league two is not sustainable.

Id love to actually see the numbers of who pays monthly to the benefit and reward scheme out of the 1400 trust members. who I wonder how many of them have paid a tenner for the year just incase we get a big cup tie.

Bush wrote:People will always turn up for the big games but it aint to watch the county. For anyone who has watched us during the farmers leagues then league 2 seems like the big time but in reality if you don't watch county and just watch the premier league then its an eye opener watching league two football because its crap. The amount of people ive brought over to watch games and they laugh at the standard.

End of the day a club with 1400 trust members shouldn't be owning and running a football league club. We would have a great time 3 divisions below but league two is not sustainable.

Id love to actually see the numbers of who pays monthly to the benefit and reward scheme out of the 1400 trust members. who I wonder how many of them have paid a tenner for the year just incase we get a big cup tie.
Probably quite a few especially after last season trust membership went up as did half season ticket sales on the back of the Spurs cup tie, don't seem right that a tenner gets you next in line after season ticket holders though there must be quite a few who go to most home games but cannot afford a season ticket price all in one go.

Bush wrote:People will always turn up for the big games but it aint to watch the county. For anyone who has watched us during the farmers leagues then league 2 seems like the big time but in reality if you don't watch county and just watch the premier league then its an eye opener watching league two football because its crap. The amount of people ive brought over to watch games and they laugh at the standard.

Nothing you say do I disagree with but.....

I think many fans and probably the board of directors are asking the wrong question. The question that they seem to me to be asking is, 'how can we persuade those who only turn up for FA Cup ties with big clubs to come and watch league games?' Let me give you the answer.

You can't.

However let's not despair because if you ask the right questions you can begin to discover the right answers.

Question one.

How do we persuade those who have a passing interest in Newport County, who listen out for our results but never attend our games to come and watch one or two games a season?

Question 2

How do we persuade those people who come along once or twice a season to attend three or four days a season?

Question 3

How do we persuade those people who come along three or four times a season to attend seven or eight games?

And so on.

You know if you are six stone over weight and you ask 'how can I be at my ideal weight a fortnight Sunday? The answer is you can't. It's the wrong question. If you ask 'How can I be at my ideal weight this time next year?'

allontheamber wrote:Perfectly valid questions Stan. Do you have any answers?
No more than anyone else.

Five match tickets, choose any games for the price of four. School children free with paying adult. At cost bus running from Ebbw Vale, via Pontypool, Cwmbran, etc. Asking supporters what ideas they have. Trying those ideas to see if they work and not assuming that they won't. Finding those supporters who no longer attend and asking them why.

And I am sure that others will have plenty of suggestions too.

Edit.

Cut out meat, fish and dairy. Cut out oils, yes even olive oil. Eat lots of starch based foods, potatoes, rice, wholemeal bread, etc. As many green veg as you like. Not too much fruit and go easy on nuts. Find exercises you enjoy and you'll be trim in no time.

It's a good idea to get businesses involved with the club, but I never signed up for the Rewards and Benefits because I'd never use them. But £10 a month is too much, Wimbledon's trust is only £25 a year IIRC.

There needs to be an incentive to join the trust. Monthly prize draws where you could win tickets, a shirt, money off the club shop, signed memorabilia etc. would be a start. Trust members could be given the option to bring a 'friend for a fiver' a couple of times a season.

For kids membership you could offer chances to go behind the scenes at training, meet the players, win mascot opportunities. I've always thought holding a competition for kids to design the 'third kit' each season would be a good idea, but you'd need a kit supplier that would be on board with that.

Even setting targets for donations might encourage more people to donate. For example, Raise £500 in March and 10% off the shop in April, Raise £1000 and 15% off the shop. Or something like that. I know some clubs that leave donation bins around the ground and people can just chuck their shrapnel into them. I'm sure I read somewhere that FC United had raised £15,000 over a couple of seasons through donation bins alone or something. If 3,000 put 20p in, there's an extra £600 a game there. Put a sign up above it saying every penny goes to the trust and see what we get.

Obviously, there may be reasons why some of those aren't viable, just throwing some ideas about.

Stan A. Einstein wrote:

Five match tickets, choose any games for the price of four. School children free with paying adult. At cost bus running from Ebbw Vale, via Pontypool, Cwmbran, etc. Asking supporters what ideas they have. Trying those ideas to see if they work and not assuming that they won't. Finding those supporters who no longer attend and asking them why.

Edit.

Cut out meat, fish and dairy. Cut out oils, yes even olive oil. Eat lots of starch based foods, potatoes, rice, wholemeal bread, etc. As many green veg as you like. Not too much fruit and go easy on nuts. Find exercises you enjoy and you'll be trim in no time.
Fgcking hell Stan, that bus journey sounds as tedious, long-winded and boring as the diet :shock:
I liked the gradual build up on ticketing idea though :grin:

Stan A. Einstein wrote:

Edit.

Good evening Brendan and welcome back. Point of note wrt the diet suggestion - I see that you are not a diabetic then. Starch based foods, rice, potatoes etc, bloody hell, my blood sugar would go through the roof!

On a serious note, I don't really have any more suggestions to add to what has already been mentioned on here apart from one. I like the idea of a shrapnel bin. Coin collector anoraks like me could go through the bin for the County and see if there are any valuable coins in there. All proceeds to the County of course. At the very least the County would get the face value of the coins. Every little helps so they say.

Stan A. Einstein wrote:

Edit.

Most important on that list Stan is trying ideas to see if they work and not assuming they won't.
To do that though will require a BoD who are willing to try, possibly fail and come back for more.
I'm not sure if the present incumbents have that about them. Equally important is for supporters to back the odd failure and not start a witch hunt demanding heads if something doesn't work.
Worth remembering that each idea that doesn't work means we are one step closer to finding the one that does

AFC Wimbledon rely heavily on donations, so the price of their trust membership is to all intents and purposes irrelevant. Where they have succeeded is in educating their supporters in the importance of donations.

Newport supporters should have had the importance of donating rammed down our throats right at the start. It’ll go down (for me, at least) as the board’s greatest mistake. The club have feasted on a diet of transfer income and FA Cup receipts and the message that donations are critical for our survival was never made clear.

Not that I think the people of Newport were ever likely to donate in sufficient numbers.