Best County side since got back in the league.

If you haven't seen a game yet, you better as this is the best side we have had since we got back in the league, no prob, i totally see play offs being earnt for sure. Well done all involved.

Also got to give it to Flynny (or whoever is responsible) but the loan signings at the club are top notch. I didn't think we would top White, but seriously, Bakinson and Harris are players I would not be surprised to see playing in the Prem one day, and I mean that in all seriousness. Bakinson especially looks equipped to play at top level. he will grow and grow as he gets more confident and I can see him surging forward on runs too. Viera and Pogba totally come to mind. Harris has now taken two goals with superb finishes, Forbes is a good signing too all improvements.

Franks is a top signing, Bennet looks way better in defence, Mickey always is, Day is on fire, as is Butler, Dolan has improved with players around him, Amond too. Matt going to score way more than Nouble would dream of and the young boy from BCFC too who will weigh in. Only need Sheehan to click now and boy will we be a good side, and we have Crofts and Pipe spare too!! So excited for this season.

Re: Best County side since got back in the league.

The NCFC Hippy wrote:If you haven't seen a game yet, you better as this is the best side we have had since we got back in the league, no prob, i totally see play offs being earnt for sure. Well done all involved.

Also got to give it to Flynny (or whoever is responsible) but the loan signings at the club are top notch. I didn't think we would top White, but seriously, Bakinson and Harris are players I would not be surprised to see playing in the Prem one day, and I mean that in all seriousness. Bakinson especially looks equipped to play at top level. he will grow and grow as he gets more confident and I can see him surging forward on runs too. Viera and Pogba totally come to mind. Harris has now taken two goals with superb finishes, Forbes is a good signing too all improvements.

Franks is a top signing, Bennet looks way better in defence, Mickey always is, Day is on fire, as is Butler, Dolan has improved with players around him, Amond too. Matt going to score way more than Nouble would dream of and the young boy from BCFC too who will weigh in. Only need Sheehan to click now and boy will we be a good side, and we have Crofts and Pipe spare too!! So excited for this season.
I couldn't agree more with this post! Flynny has done wonders this off season to get this squad together on a reduced budget!
Well done Mike!

Re: Best County side since got back in thel eague.

Yes ,I think the squad is playing some terrific football and as I missed last season the first thing I noticed was the passing on the floor and from the back although I thought that last night there were some careless passes and sometimes one too many back passes and I thought that from where I was sitting (Block D Bisley) the first goal Notts Co scored seemed stoppable--our keeper seemed a bit slow, but there again I didn't see any possible deflection ?? Our strikers are playing very well and the tall lad from Bristol was passing the ball and playing terrific ( Bakinson ?) and when he fills out he's going to take some stopping !! A good team performance.
Well done everyone, !!!!! Come on the Port !!...........................Bob Bassett

Re: Best County side since got back in thel eague.

BertieB wrote:Yes ,I think the squad is playing some terrific football and as I missed last season the first thing I noticed was the passing on the floor and from the back although I thought that last night there were some careless passes and sometimes one too many back passes and I thought that from where I was sitting (Block D Bisley) the first goal Notts Co scored seemed stoppable--our keeper seemed a bit slow, but there again I didn't see any possible deflection ?? Our strikers are playing very well and the tall lad from Bristol was passing the ball and playing terrific ( Bakinson ?) and when he fills out he's going to take some stopping !! A good team performance.
Well done everyone, !!!!! Come on the Port !!...........................Bob Bassett
Can’t agree with you about Notts first goal, Joe Day had no chance to react as it was point blank : I think the blame is due to whoever should have cut out the cross once Butler had failed to block it.

I thought we played really well in the first half after Notts scored. The 2nd half was disappointing apart from the last minute goal. We allowed them too much time on the ball and sat deeper and deeper as the 2nd half went on. Not as bad as last season's defending though. Overall a good performance but not as good as against Crewe.

I don't think anyone's mentioned the roles of Micky D and the Train in the winning goal. Everyone was expecting a long throw by Micky D but the short throw to the Train and excellent cross caught out the Notts defence.

Totally agree. Such a well balanced team and squad. Flynn (and his team) deserve huge credit.

The formation looks good but I think we need to work on defending the wings against teams with advanced wide men like No.11 last night. He ran amok vs Butler.

Team is so much more dynamic than last year. Can you remember a midfield with Tozer, Wilmott and Bennett?? :shock:

Bennett looks so much better in defence for me.

Hmm.... Just two weeks ago the team was being rubbished for the performance at Mansfield. Suddenly we have the best team since returning to the Football League. Both judgements are over-reactions. Throughout the season, fortunes will fluctuate, we will neither run away at the top nor be a favourite for relegation (hopefully). First, let's get to the ten game mark. The second milestone is January when we will have played every other team.
Last edited by excessbee on August 22nd, 2018, 7:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

I'm not getting carried away yet - it's still early doors, and a lot can happen. But one thing that really really impressed me yesterday was seeing how Flynn's style has evolved. When he kept us up, and for most of last season, he made a strength of what he had, playing direct football to a big man up front, and the midfield picking up loose balls. Not always pretty, but it was effective and everyone knew their job.

We've still got the capacity to do that when needed - but last night it was noticeable that players had clearly been coached to play it out from the back and to go through the midfield. We still use the wingers well and we can be physical in both boxes - but we're no longer a "kick and rush" team. That's to Flynn's (and Hatswell's, and Lawrence's) immense credit that they've wanted to progress.

Da iawn, a dal ati.

I think saying this is the best side we have had since we have been back in the League is probably a bit rich so far. We had a decent side under Edinburgh when we went up and we performed very well, until he lost interest and started looking for "greener" pastures.
The spirit in this side looks good though. The journey over the past 12 games, 1 year and now the latest 4 games, as well as the cup run has given us an aura of the "fighters" and the spirit in this side is visibly apparent. It may not be the most talented but it's definitely the most watchable.
In Demetriou, Bakinson, Amond we have a decent spine and despite the small squad we actually have some depth to cover all positions adequately.
I still think Matt & Marsh-Brown are going to be expensive bench warmers, but the loanees Bakinson, Harris & Semenyo should offset those costs.
I think we might scrape the playoffs, but the most important thing, considering the sheet-fight that's going on off the park, is that we wont go down - which is the biggest relief of them all!

Beefy