Re: GRANDSTAND: v Grimsby

Another good result and great performance by the sound of it. I couldn't make it as I had to referee Newport & District League's finest, Caerleon v Spencer Boys anyway.

How did The Train fare? Was he nippibg up and down the tracks shunting the opposition into the sidings? Can he help to derail Exeter's title challenge?

Looking forward to the Oxford game Tuesday.

DeePeeNCAFC wrote:Another good result and great performance by the sound of it. I couldn't make it as I had to referee Newport & District League's finest, Caerleon v Spencer Boys anyway.

How did The Train fare? Was he nippibg up and down the tracks shunting the opposition into the sidings? Can he help to derail Exeter's title challenge?

Looking forward to the Oxford game Tuesday.
He was just the ticket.

Thoroughly enjoyed todays' game, 0 flattered Grimsby, as we were much the better side....I don't think they had a shot on goal TBH, what a difference to last season....Every player put in a shift, and Tyreque Bakinson looks like a Vierra in the making (apologies if the spellings wrong Mr T) Very Classy midfielder destined for the top IMHO, and Mark Harris too was superb! Not wishing to take the shine off any of todays team, I gratefully applaud you all :cheers:
COME ON 'U MIGHTY PORT :bounce:

Well ... that's the quietest GRANDSTAND I've seen ever ???

Where's everyone gone ??

That was one of the most one sided performances I've seen in years .
Completely dominated from kick off yet still only had the one goal advantage which could've fecked up at any moment .

I've seen 3 sides so far at RP and we've played all 3 off the park .
Gotta be a good start , surely ??

Corpaboy wrote:Well ... that's the quietest GRANDSTAND I've seen ever ???

Where's everyone gone ??

Completely dominated from kick off yet still only had the one goal advantage which could've fecked up at any moment .

Incredible isn't it, certain posters go very quiet when we start putting a winning run together, no names mentioned... I'd like to read a certain individuals take on events this afternoon, if we were as poor as grimsby today he'd surely be whipping up a frenzy!

I'll echo your points, such a one sided game, I didn't think grimsby could be any poorer than last season when they visited, how wrong I could be!

This bakinson lad is unreal at this level and on this pitch, even at 15 minutes in he was having a go at Mickey for hoofing it up field! was refreshing to see. Control, ability to turn under pressure, direct running, range in passing, tracking back, intercepting.. You name it, this lad can do it.

It was great football to watch. Such a refreshing change to see a County side desperate to play it on the floor and work it the ball out from deep, instead of the tried and tested "lump it up to the 5'9" striker and see if he can win a header" hoofball.
Since Bennett moved back into the 3 man defence we have looked like a totally different side from the shower that turned out at Mansfield.
Never thought I'd say this but Bakinson is an upgrade from Labs. Hopefully he might be able to add some goals (or shots) to his game as I'm not sure I've seen him actually have a go so far this season. We generally have the right mix in the middle of the park now, although Dolan's lack of pace becomes more and more apparent every week - he is playing in his best County form right now so that makes up for it!
Podge and Harris work well together. Never stop running too, so opposition defenders never have an easy time.
Looks like we have cover all over the field too which is something I've not said since the 80s!!!!
The only negative for me is Sheehan, and it's not really a negative - he just doesn't seem to be firing on all cylinders.
Team spirit looks amazing. The first XI is near enough picking itself and Flynny seems to be getting his subs right.
All in all a cracking start to the season, considering after the Mansfield game I was thinking we was fecked for another year!!!!!

Beefy

bignbeefy wrote:It was great football to watch. Such a refreshing change to see a County side desperate to play it on the floor and work it the ball out from deep, instead of the tried and tested "lump it up to the 5'9" striker and see if he can win a header" hoofball.
Since Bennett moved back into the 3 man defence we have looked like a totally different side from the shower that turned out at Mansfield.
Never thought I'd say this but Bakinson is an upgrade from Labs. Hopefully he might be able to add some goals (or shots) to his game as I'm not sure I've seen him actually have a go so far this season. We generally have the right mix in the middle of the park now, although Dolan's lack of pace becomes more and more apparent every week - he is playing in his best County form right now so that makes up for it!
Podge and Harris work well together. Never stop running too, so opposition defenders never have an easy time.
Looks like we have cover all over the field too which is something I've not said since the 80s!!!!
The only negative for me is Sheehan, and it's not really a negative - he just doesn't seem to be firing on all cylinders.
Team spirit looks amazing. The first XI is near enough picking itself and Flynny seems to be getting his subs right.
All in all a cracking start to the season, considering after the Mansfield game I was thinking we was fecked for another year!!!!!

Beefy
Spot on Beefy.

bishbashbosh wrote:

Where's everyone gone ??

Incredible isn't it, certain posters go very quiet when we start putting a winning run together, no names mentioned... I'd like to read a certain individuals take on events this afternoon, if we were as poor as grimsby today he'd surely be whipping up a frenzy!

I'll echo your points, such a one sided game, I didn't think grimsby could be any poorer than last season when they visited, how wrong I could be!

This bakinson lad is unreal at this level and on this pitch, even at 15 minutes in he was having a go at Mickey for hoofing it up field! was refreshing to see. Control, ability to turn under pressure, direct running, range in passing, tracking back, intercepting.. You name it, this lad can do it.
I’ve got a gripe. When did it become accepted practice for our players to carry their kids out onto the pitch at the start of games. Looks bloody daft. I want it to stop.

Where's everyone gone ??

It clashed with the Camrose Vintage Working Day Show.....no contest really

faerun exile wrote:
bishbashbosh wrote:

Where's everyone gone ??

I’ve got a gripe. When did it become accepted practice for our players to carry their kids out onto the pitch at the start of games. Looks bloody daft. I want it to stop.
There was an opportunity yesterday for children to pay £5 and be a guard of honour. Crofts lad done it, Bennett walked out with his boys too. Unfortunately babies can't walk and have to be carried. Don't think it's a regular occurrence for players doing this.

bignbeefy wrote:It was great football to watch. Such a refreshing change to see a County side desperate to play it on the floor and work it the ball out from deep, instead of the tried and tested "lump it up to the 5'9" striker and see if he can win a header" hoofball.

Beefy
I agree with all you say except the Sheehan comment I think he is contributing well but I think suffers from unrealistic expectations - when on loan he was in a poor side which had no confidence - he was the only positive in most games. Now in a better more confident side he does not stand out so much but still makes a good contribution he is a good L2 player.