Re: Miracle

Lost in Willesden wrote:The first thing a successful club always needs is a great manager. In Flynny we finally have one and one of our own. Boards are always shite, whats the surprise?

It's a shame such a lot of time is wasted talking about money in the game, when really nothing has changed. (Rememberer when Liverpool were the richest, buy a new one to stay ahead.) Perhaps losers who post on message boards fancy themselves as back driving directors. Probably played too much Fifa.

County will always be County, like Newport itself . Always potential trying to run to catch up with the subsidized rest. Always had to cut our cloth a little tighter, always had to be a little more savvy. Sometimes hit a little harder. Always relied on ourselves, remember when we didn't...-went out of business.

I'm ******* proud of this current era, so cut the winging, enjoy the ride. Port are going up!
Such an excellent example of keeping things in perspective and seeing the broader picture. The thread title sums it up for me. Watching enjoyable football and sustaining football league status is a minor miracle in my opinion, as for so many years i never thought i would see such a thing again in my lifetime. I'm so enjoying the ride. Not sure i agree we are going up though.

Looking forward to the next game Tuesday.dewch ymlaen Sir!

The best thing he's done is that we now get the pick of the loanees from Swansea, Bristol City and Cardiff. Before it was mainly the outcasts who no-one wanted to buy so were just running down their contracts and are now in non-league.

OLDCROMWELLIAN wrote:
allontheamber wrote:It's a miracle than Flynny and his management team have produced the team they have on a reduced budget.
Such a shame that the board have accomplished the exact opposite for the club on the windfall that came our way through the cup run and transfers last season.
The 'windfall' of last year only amounted to just under £200,000 ? What were you expecting to happen from that sum?
Exactly.

We could easily have twenty employees on £1000 a week that's a million pounds a year in wages alone. It's probably much more than that.

This is the kind of information that needs to be made public so that people can understand and appreciate the size of operating budget needed.

Using the 'business sensitive' excuse at every opportunity seems to be doing more harm than good.

The Notts County experience also shows that you can have a high profile manager who can spend £500k and not achieve the instant success their fans demand. Result, sack the manager, and even more money gone in compensation. I believe it was stated on here that their overspending (last season too) was planned to get out of league two asap. Failed last year, I wonder where theyll stand financially if it goes belly up again. For them, 8th place will be a disaster, for us, a good season.

Alan Hardy is a very wealthy individual and reportedly worth approx £55m. He revealed last year that Notts County are making a loss of £1.6m a year. It seems allowing businessmen control of a club is not the instant recipe for success some would believe.

Alan G Bryant wrote:Alan Hardy is a very wealthy individual and reportedly worth approx £55m. He revealed last year that Notts County are making a loss of £1.6m a year. It seems allowing businessmen control of a club is not the instant recipe for success some would believe.
So if he’s daft enough that gives him about 40 years to get ‘em up :shock:

Alan G Bryant wrote:Alan Hardy is a very wealthy individual and reportedly worth approx £55m. He revealed last year that Notts County are making a loss of £1.6m a year. It seems allowing businessmen control of a club is not the instant recipe for success some would believe.
It's not instant success on the pitch the dissenters are looking for, it's some sort of idea of what the future looks like off it!

rncfc wrote:
It's not instant success on the pitch the dissenters are looking for, it's some sort of idea of what the future looks like off it!
I can get that, but how can you plan for the future with costs unknown?. I cannot think of another board of directors that have projected a picture of what the future looks like, so why the incessant criticism of this one?

It is time some supporters accepted we are a club like no other.

I appreciate you are trying to give some balance, but the reason we should expect it now whereas we didn't have it before I'd because we supposedly have a voice now.

From where I'm sitting we still run at large losses, we still don't engage the fans, and we don't have any idea what the next stage of our clubs existence is. What exactly therefore is the advantage of being "fan owned"?

I appreciate it's not necessarily the fault of anyone on the board who feel they are doing right by the club, but all this "business sensitive" malarky is succeeding in doing is reducing the length of time with which the fans can help if things are indeed heading south where the ground situation is concerned.

I believe the incessant criticism, as you put it, of our board stems not from the effort they put in but from their apparent attitude to the supporters/owners.
People continually ask for info a lot of which can never be classed as commercially sensitive. The chairman continues to ignore the opportunity to attend meetings to connect with the supporters.
The fans feel isolated from the club which they did their utmost to save from oblivion.
It must be a two way thing. Don't expect the support of the fans if you can't be bothered to speak to them.

allontheamber wrote:I believe the incessant criticism, as you put it, of our board stems not from the effort they put in but from their apparent attitude to the supporters/owners.
People continually ask for info a lot of which can never be classed as commercially sensitive. The chairman continues to ignore the opportunity to attend meetings to connect with the supporters.
The fans feel isolated from the club which they did their utmost to save from oblivion.
It must be a two way thing. Don't expect the support of the fans if you can't be bothered to speak to them.
The Chairman attended the last Supporters' Meeting in May and made himself available for questions.

Try to get your facts right next time.

Cornish Exile wrote:
allontheamber wrote:I believe the incessant criticism, as you put it, of our board stems not from the effort they put in but from their apparent attitude to the supporters/owners.
The Chairman attended the last Supporters' Meeting in May and made himself available for questions.

Try to get your facts right next time.
Accepted. Do you agree though that the general feeling of the fans is one of isolation.

Yes , absolutely. The current position of the club in its relationship with the landlord being a case in question. Have we even had a terse statement saying “ negotiations are ongoing regarding facilities for the club at RP “ ? That’d at least be something.