Re: Favourite Non League Grounds

I used to love Stourbridge, with its three stands due to sharing with the cricket and great view of the gasworks behind.
Also, Worcester where you came out of the ground straight onto the canal towpath, and Dorchester’s lovely ground including fountain

Special mentions too for Bromsgrove Rovers, Maidenhead and Thurrock for various reasons

I have to say - this thread is putting me to shame. Well done to one and all who supported County in these non league years. Where on earth would we be without you lot and the Lysaghts 400.

I never saw the County play away in non league - that was my County wilderness years. The period from 1990 to 2009 is a bit vague for me. We must do everything in our power to ensure that (non league) doesn't happen again.

Being Midland based lucky enough to have been to plenty of friendly grounds.

Drinking with the home fans at Dudley and Moor Green ( I could nearly walk to their old ground ) stand out.

Great pubs and village at Histon.

Racing Club Warwick - just because it's a great name.

... then the edgier games at Bromsgrove and Worcester. The Lamb ( Tamworth ) was always well attended and a good atmosphere.

Far too many to mention.

Willthiswork wrote:A shout out to Pontlottyn Blast Furnace AFC. I remember a Welsh Cup game up there when the ball boy had to run down the hill to get the ball when it went out of play. I think the game only lasted about 40mins as the other 50mins were getting the ball! 9-0 too!

The game where Jason Bowen tied their left back up in knots . I bet the poor sods head was spinning for weeks as he didnt know which way to turn. I understand the difference in class between the two sides but Bowen gave him a 'master class' in wing play that day

neilcork68 wrote:
Willthiswork wrote:A shout out to Pontlottyn Blast Furnace AFC. I remember a Welsh Cup game up there when the ball boy had to run down the hill to get the ball when it went out of play. I think the game only lasted about 40mins as the other 50mins were getting the ball! 9-0 too!
The game where Jason Bowen tied their left back up in knots . I bet the poor sods head was spinning for weeks as he didnt know which way to turn. I understand the difference in class between the two sides but Bowen gave him a 'master class' in wing play that day
Bowen didn't join us until 14 years after that game.

George Street-Bridge wrote:
neilcork68 wrote:

He certainly wasn’t with us in ‘90-91 season.
I think you got your memories mixed up Neil, mate.

:oops: :oops: :oops: Who's the winger I'm thinking of then that played in the game ? It must have been Andy Ellis.....he gave their left back a torrid time that afternoon.
I one thing I certainly remember about the game was sitting on the very high bank on the one side with sheep crap everywhere .
My Dad who came with me to the game had the bright idea to park near the shops as it would be easier to get away after the game. He forgot to mention the blooming 1 in 5 gradient hill you had to climb to get to the ground. Even now when I pass the ground on my delivery round I still chuckle to myself about that blooming 'mountain climb '

Just looking at Wikipedia about that game and it gives a crowd of 420........There were twice that amount of fans from Newport alone

George Street-Bridge wrote:
neilcork68 wrote:
Plus, it was Robbie Willmott's fault that we didn't score 12.