Re: Favourite Non League Grounds

Goddard & woods wrote:Kidderminster nice ground Hereford always a good trip have many happy memories of matches at Edgar, Street Robbie Wilmotts last gasp goal in the 3-2 win along with great memories of the late 70s early 80s Howard Goddards penalty winner in the FA cup and going there a couple of weeks later and turning them over 3-0 in the league, beating them 2-0 even though Kevin Moore was sent off during the promotion of 79/80 happy days.
I'm sure you're right. My memory is going, but I don't recall Kevin getting sent off in either game v Hereford that season.

Mind you I can recall Nigel Vaughan scoring our first goal v West Ham, and I know it was Goddard. :(

As you say, happy days, when we were young.

Stan A. Einstein wrote:
Goddard & woods wrote:Kidderminster nice ground Hereford always a good trip have many happy memories of matches at Edgar, Street Robbie Wilmotts last gasp goal in the 3-2 win along with great memories of the late 70s early 80s Howard Goddards penalty winner in the FA cup and going there a couple of weeks later and turning them over 3-0 in the league, beating them 2-0 even though Kevin Moore was sent off during the promotion of 79/80 happy days.
I'm sure you're right. My memory is going, but I don't recall Kevin getting sent off in either game v Hereford that season.

Mind you I can recall Nigel Vaughan scoring our first goal v West Ham, and I know it was Goddard. :(

As you say, happy days, when we were young.
Kevin Moore is my all time favourite County player only time I can remember him getting sent off he very rarely got booked was getting kicked off the park by the Hereford right back and went for retaliation.

The only time I think Steve Lowndes was sent off was November 1 1983 in County's 1-1 draw with Millwall. He was playing for Millwall!
Non league nomination: Northwich Victoria and our llast gasp 3-2 win in the Trophy with Jake Harris' brace. (okay it was at Macclesfield's ground). We then had a nice little path to the York final at Wembley.

It is interesting reading these posts and memories of yesteryear rather than petty squabbling and they bring back fond memories.

I recall competing against Wolves , Bolton ,Cardiff , Bristol City , Swansea and the likes of Sheffield United. I also recall John Relish keeping us up after Bobby Smith left , yet the following season Archie Menzies replaced him with an inexperienced Jimmy Mullen, with no real affiliation to our club.

Perhaps we were already in terminal decline, but that decision did not help and maybe even accelerated our demise.

allontheamber wrote:Always enjoyed Maidenhead with the GWR track on the embankment above the ground.
I remember some awful displays by Anthony Coggins but he refereed an evening game at Maidenhead superbly in a deluge which he eventually called of about 5 mins from time if my memory is correct. Let so much go it was unreal but credit where it's due.
3-3 but my recall was it was abandoned early in the second half.

Special branch wrote:Goddard and Woods and then we lost to Colchester.
Another favourite ground The Causeway, Cinderford largely because of results and pubs in The Forest and Wye Valley.
I know it was Goddard and Woods, just my faulty memory.

I remember the Colchester game 0-0. Although my only real memory is that as with the West Ham tie we trotted out after half time. One of Len's psychological ploys I fancy.

Stan A. Einstein wrote:
allontheamber wrote:Always enjoyed Maidenhead with the GWR track on the embankment above the ground.
I remember some awful displays by Anthony Coggins but he refereed an evening game at Maidenhead superbly in a deluge which he eventually called of about 5 mins from time if my memory is correct. Let so much go it was unreal but credit where it's due.
Think you might be right there Stan. Probably just felt like 85 minutes. Fun night though.

Stan A. Einstein wrote:
http://www.pitchero.com/clubs/maidenhea ... re/0-53217

I was there as well - great game but was mental just before it was abandoned!