Favourite Non League Grounds

Newport County natter & football chatter.
no avatar
User

Blackandamber

Cwmbran

Re: Favourite Non League Grounds

Postby Blackandamber » November 3rd, 2018, 1:03 am

Gresley Rovers. They were top of the league and we put 5 past them. Steve Lowndes, Nigel Vaughan, Linden Jones, Ceri Williams, Mark Kendal etc. Nice little ground as well.
no avatar
User

Special branch

Postby Special branch » November 3rd, 2018, 1:16 am

I went to Bilston Town on the night of my 40th birthday in a clapped out Triumph Acclaim withJim Relish and his father. The game was unmemorable and we drew 1-1 ( subsequent visits saw us win 3-0 and lose 2-5.The memorable thing was meeting John whom I had met on a train following County's 1974-5 draw at Rotherham (short of cash then as well!). In 1974 we had such a good chat (same age) and he told me of his aspirations etc. At the 1993 meeting it was interesting to hear John's frustration as Newport AFC's manager. If it was up to me he would still be the manager because 'like Flynnn ' he knows us' but he had things to do (FPA looming.) So Bilston Town for the memories
no avatar
User

Special branch

Postby Special branch » November 3rd, 2018, 1:56 am

Well here is another: Evesham : purely because we were being promoted from the Beazer Homes Midland division and there was a carnival atmosphere. We drew 1-1 but were up anyway. It was aone of the biggest crowds Evesham had ever had. Whisper this quietly but I really enjoyed the AFC days (apart from the 2 relegations).
no avatar
User

Triangle

With the Panthers

Postby Triangle » November 3rd, 2018, 2:51 am

Clevedon, Hand stadium.

Felt like you were on the pitch and the rear of the stand helped the atmosphere.
User

Amberexile

Sheffield

Postby Amberexile » November 3rd, 2018, 9:43 am

Another for me would be Sutton Coldfield Town where the owner would park his Rolls right behind the goal.
no avatar
User

George Street-Bridge

Postby George Street-Bridge » November 3rd, 2018, 10:17 am

To be fair to Mr Coggins the Maidenhead game was abandoned in good time at 56 minutes. He did have previous - six months earlier he stopped Dorchester v Maidenhead with three minutes left!
no avatar
User

excessbee

Postby excessbee » November 3rd, 2018, 10:44 am

allontheamber wrote:Always enjoyed Maidenhead with the GWR track on the embankment above the ground.
I remember some awful displays by Anthony Coggins but he refereed an evening game at Maidenhead superbly in a deluge which he eventually called of about 5 mins from time if my memory is correct. Let so much go it was unreal but credit where it's due.

Think it was earlier in the game than that, and entirely the right decision. He got a window of opportunity when one side equalised to make it 3-3(?) and stopped it very soon afterwards.
no avatar
User

George Street-Bridge

Postby George Street-Bridge » November 3rd, 2018, 10:51 am

Yes, it was 3-3 but there had been three goals in five minutes. (I wasn't there but did it for the programme a couple of years ago.)
no avatar
User

Stan A. Einstein

Postby Stan A. Einstein » November 3rd, 2018, 12:25 pm

Special branch wrote:Well here is another: Evesham : purely because we were being promoted from the Beazer Homes Midland division and there was a carnival atmosphere. We drew 1-1 but were up anyway. It was aone of the biggest crowds Evesham had ever had. Whisper this quietly but I really enjoyed the AFC days (apart from the 2 relegations).

Obviously you enjoyed them. You were clearly seeing double in our relegation season.
no avatar
User

George Street-Bridge

Postby George Street-Bridge » November 3rd, 2018, 12:49 pm

Possibly the only game we've ever played when they warn the ref will abandon it if people don't get away from the railway line!
no avatar
User

allontheamber

Postby allontheamber » November 5th, 2018, 11:12 am

Must be nostalgia or just a sign of my age but I do miss those old grounds like Merthyr, Worcester, Bath City etc.
That said I will still be happy when we get our shiny spangly new stadium in Newport.
no avatar
User

Blackandamber

Cwmbran

Postby Blackandamber » November 5th, 2018, 12:48 pm

Isn't it great that there are never any arguments on the MB whenever the thread is nostalgic.
no avatar
User

allontheamber

Postby allontheamber » November 5th, 2018, 5:34 pm

No, you're wrong :-)
no avatar
User

newgroundrodney

Postby newgroundrodney » November 5th, 2018, 5:49 pm

allontheamber wrote:No, you're wrong :-)

No, actually, you're both wrong, so put up or shut up, it's a disgrace big time FFS... :grin:
no avatar
User

allontheamber

Postby allontheamber » November 5th, 2018, 5:59 pm

So we all agree to differ then
PreviousNext