Re: Favourite Non League Grounds

I went to Bilston Town on the night of my 40th birthday in a clapped out Triumph Acclaim withJim Relish and his father. The game was unmemorable and we drew 1-1 ( subsequent visits saw us win 3-0 and lose 2-5.The memorable thing was meeting John whom I had met on a train following County's 1974-5 draw at Rotherham (short of cash then as well!). In 1974 we had such a good chat (same age) and he told me of his aspirations etc. At the 1993 meeting it was interesting to hear John's frustration as Newport AFC's manager. If it was up to me he would still be the manager because 'like Flynnn ' he knows us' but he had things to do (FPA looming.) So Bilston Town for the memories

allontheamber wrote:Always enjoyed Maidenhead with the GWR track on the embankment above the ground.
I remember some awful displays by Anthony Coggins but he refereed an evening game at Maidenhead superbly in a deluge which he eventually called of about 5 mins from time if my memory is correct. Let so much go it was unreal but credit where it's due.
Think it was earlier in the game than that, and entirely the right decision. He got a window of opportunity when one side equalised to make it 3-3(?) and stopped it very soon afterwards.

Special branch wrote:Well here is another: Evesham : purely because we were being promoted from the Beazer Homes Midland division and there was a carnival atmosphere. We drew 1-1 but were up anyway. It was aone of the biggest crowds Evesham had ever had. Whisper this quietly but I really enjoyed the AFC days (apart from the 2 relegations).
Obviously you enjoyed them. You were clearly seeing double in our relegation season.