Re: Conor Washinton

BertieB wrote:I repeat..........in the midweek action in the Carabao cup, First round ties, Luke Freeman and Pawel Wszolek netted in the opening six minutes as Steve McClaren's QPR defeated Peterborough 2-0 both goals set up by ex Posh striker Conor Washington and for the benefit of the person who mentioned Wigan ????-they were beaten 3-1 by Rotherham.
Bob Bassett

Give over Bob. A QPR fan, that actually watches their games, is telling you he was a let down. That fellow fans groaned when he was brought on. You can read out a snippet of a newspaper article based on one Cup game all you like.

newgroundrodney wrote:I can only say, that as Newport County fan, I was so proud to see him in a QPR shirt, but at no time did he ever look like he would get goals, any more than he did at Newport.
I don't buy the international appearances argument either. Personally, he was the same sort of let down at QPR, as Frank Nouble was at County.....promised much, delivered little.
The measure of a striker is whether he finds the net on a regular basis so you are quite right to be disappointed. And that’s the point, very rarely if ever , do forwards who couldn’t hit a cow in the @rse with a banjo suddenly become profligate goal-getters, hence the extortionate fees for those who are able to bang ‘em in often enough.

lowandhard wrote:
newgroundrodney wrote:I can only say, that as Newport County fan, I was so proud to see him in a QPR shirt, but at no time did he ever look like he would get goals, any more than he did at Newport.
I don't buy the international appearances argument either. Personally, he was the same sort of let down at QPR, as Frank Nouble was at County.....promised much, delivered little.
The measure of a striker is whether he finds the net on a regular basis so you are quite right to be disappointed. And that’s the point, very rarely if ever , do forwards who couldn’t hit a cow in the @rse with a banjo suddenly become profligate goal-getters, hence the extortionate fees for those who are able to bang ‘em in often enough.
I didn't expect him to do it suddenly. I thought he'd progress through Peterborough and onto QPR but he didn't. Maybe Sheffield United will bring him through....... I really do wish him well. Just pissed off he couldn't do it while with Rangers.

Moving from a team 22nd in the league to a team 3rd in the championship is no backward step and as 'uptheport' said he made us a mint, although his goal product needs working on, his pace will always pin defenders back, he's an excellent out from a defence.

BertieB wrote:I repeat..........in the midweek action in the Carabao cup, First round ties, Luke Freeman and Pawel Wszolek netted in the opening six minutes as Steve McClaren's QPR defeated Peterborough 2-0 both goals set up by ex Posh striker Conor Washington and for the benefit of the person who mentioned Wigan ????-they were beaten 3-1 by Rotherham.
Bob Bassett
In another attempt to decipher Bob's brain...

Newgroundrodney (NGR) instigated the discussion of the QPR fans' reaction to Washington coming on as sub (during QPR v Wigan, 25 August).

Bertie B (BB) then posted a link from a match on 14 August, QPR v Peterborough (from a division below QPR), when Washington assisted two goals. As Washington STARTED that match, it seems unlikely that Posh fans would be groaning about him coming on as sub as suggested (and even more unlikely given that the match being referred to with the groaning didn't happen for another week and a half afterwards). Furthermore, despite this apparently amazing performance against Peterborough, QPR fans still groaned at Washington's introduction 11 days later, which suggests that whatever he did against a team from the division below in the Cup wasn't that impressive.

For the removal of any doubt, I'm more inclined to believe the bloke who watches him fairly regularly who is telling us QPR's fans don't rate him, than someone who posts a sentence in which he's not even praised, from a match against a team at a lower standard than the team he's playing for. Not to mention that he had his contract terminated by QPR later the same month, which doesn't suggest that they thought they'd get any offers for him before his contract expired in the summer either, which doesn't sound like a successful striker either.

And I'm entirely fine with Conor Washington ending up as a highly successful striker, he just hadn't impressed the QPR fans. Maybe he'll suit Sheffield United better? Frankly if he can't unseat David McGoldrick he can't be up to much, but he got a round of applause for running around for 9 minutes when he came on at 4-1 up last week.

newgroundrodney wrote:
Percy plunkett wrote:
newgroundrodney wrote:He couldn't finish a bowl of cornflakes. Believe, as a fan of both County & Rangers, nobody is more disappointed in his failure to make the grade* than me. I'd have loved it if he'd become an Rs hero, but he is honestly no better a player than when he left us....still, we made a few bob off him so it's all good.

* EDIT... he hasn't made the grade even though somehow he's managed to scrape a career together.... nice work if you can get it.
Most people think McClaren is nuts and he must be if he didn't try to recoup some of the £2.5m fee.The fact he's stayed in the Championship makes me think Conor still has managers with confidence in him.You have seen him play and I haven't but surely to give him away is a poor decision .
Mc.Claren may be nuts, but the team I watched beat Wigan the other day played some really neat stuff. There were groans all around when Washington came on as sub. The feeling I get is the fans have had enough waiting for him to actually produce something regularly.
Curently Eberechi Eze and Nehki Wells are our stand out players. I wish Conor well, but so glad he's gone. In reality, we probably needed to relieve some of the wage bill too with Tony Fernandes having stepped down.
It is Nahki Wells, not Nehki....hope he does well for you.