Re: Diodge

excessbee wrote:Has he signed or is it rumour?
Perhaps five years ago he wasn't good enough. Bolton won't know until January.
Yes signed on loan until January then permanent deal soon as window opens

This type of deal is becoming more common and makes the early (main) transfer window deadline a bit superfluous really.

I think the loan and sale transfer windows (except for the emergency loans) should be the same date... or maybe the next day, for those occasional transfers that just miss the deadline.

excessbee wrote:Ah, so he can play straight away. If he gets injured before January are they then obliged to complete the deal, I wonder.
I would presume little things like that are covered in the "loan" contract. If they weren't then the deal wouldn't be a particularly good one for the selling club. Something like a PCP contract with cars but that you have to pay up what's due when your loan period is up. I don't think any such deal has backfired yet. It is just a way to get around the transfer deadline.

Re: Doidge

Saints fans have a particularly interesting relationship with loan-to-buy, having got Alderweireld in on exactly that basis the season before Atletico decided to sell him to Spurs the following summer despite the pre-existing contract. Danny Ings is also signed on that basis due to a ridiculously late deadline day loan deal, but he's been great so whatever...

I think it's vital for the lower leagues that the loan deadline is later than the permanent deal one, though I don't see why it can't be just a couple of weeks, it doesn't take a month for teams to decide which players they don't need.

NearlyDead wrote:
excessbee wrote:Ah, so he can play straight away. If he gets injured before January are they then obliged to complete the deal, I wonder.
I would presume little things like that are covered in the "loan" contract. If they weren't then the deal wouldn't be a particularly good one for the selling club. Something like a PCP contract with cars but that you have to pay up what's due when your loan period is up. I don't think any such deal has backfired yet. It is just a way to get around the transfer deadline.
Ahem: http://www.skysports.com/football/news/ ... outhampton

Good point, but it's not quite the same situation Doidge and FGR find themselves in, as in Alderweireld's case these were all clubs at basically the same league level.

Then again, the more I think about it, I do suppose a team like Leeds or Villa could go to FGR in December, say, and outbid Bolton if his "loan" is a roaring success, but from Bolton's perspective you'd hope that this possibility was covered in the contract. After all, clubs do/should learn from past deals/contracts like the Alderweireld situation (or you hope they would), like they have with sell-on clauses.

But unlike Atletico Madrid wanting Alderweireld back, FGR won't really want Doidge back... though I suppose if the worst happens then a million is likely small change for Dale Vince and so missing out on the full fee will hardly have him crying in his hummus.

Bottom line, I don't like these sorts of deals as they stand, as they are just an increasingly frequent way of getting round the transfer deadline. It's an abuse of a system that is already an abuse. But aligning the full transfer and loan transfer window dates would be a start.

Actually, I know we've benefited greatly in the last 2 or 3 seasons from the loan market itself, but I'd abolish all loan deals (except emergency keeper cover) altogether. However, I could perhaps be persuaded on the merit to limit them to one or two per club per season, and only from a higher to a lower division and only for a month or so to cover injury crises.

stevie83 wrote:7 figure transfer fee Bolton same guy in Edinburgh said wasn't good enough cheers justin
For every Diodge there is a Washington - I wish him well but at the time he was playing not much more than parks football and hardly pulled trees up at D & R - late developer.