Re: Exiles Grandstand Port Vale

Excellent win, great to get our first away win of the season. Port Vale is a tricky place to go so happy with that. Oldham next week will be a much tougher test.

Looking at the table so far at teams we've played I think we shouldn't get too carried away.

Mansfield L (8th)
Exeter D (9th)
Crewe W (14th)
Port Vale W (19th)
Grimsby W (20th)
Notts County W (24th)

That being said, you can only beat what's in front of you. 37 more points to safety :grin:

Up the County!

Caerleon Exile wrote:Excellent win, great to get our first away win of the season. Port Vale is a tricky place to go so happy with that. Oldham next week will be a much tougher test.

Looking at the table so far at teams we've played I think we shouldn't get too carried away.

Mansfield L (8th)
Exeter D (9th)
Crewe W (14th)
Port Vale W (19th)
Grimsby W (20th)
Notts County W (24th)
A big part of the reason that of those above that are in the bottom half is because we beat them...

Sure 2nd in the division is great but lets just enjoy things for what they are. County are a side whose football has been transformed from the "hoof and hope" of last season to a far more attractive style. The side look more likely to score than last year and substitutions give hope instead of sometimes the dread of last year.

I think more importantly the management team seem to be developing a reputation as a place to send youngsters out on loan. Bristol City appear to have been impressed with how County handled Shawn McCoulsky last season and that has led to the loan of Bakinson, Semenyo and Pring. I'm in little doubt that Brighton will be lending us another player either come January or next season after the way that White was developed last season. Even Cardiff seem to have offered a better calibre of loan this time.

And finally I think we need to enjoy our management team. The transformation in the playing side will have an element of luck to them because you'll never know how a group of players will interact with each other until you put them all together, but they seem to have done some homework and pursued their targets aggressively if you believe the media reporting. I think Flynn et al will not be looking for advancement in the short term because Flynn recognises that he's still learning his trade and mistakes made will be more easily forgiven here as he is a local boy done good. He is Manager of a team that is currently achieving his goals (stay up, consolidate first full season, aim for play-off positions second season) and outwardly the players aren't causing him too many problems. The grass isn't always greener on the other side of the fence. I hope he recognises that he can cultivate as a good a lawn where he is through sensible cultivation...

wattsville_boy wrote:Sure 2nd in the division is great but lets just enjoy things for what they are. County are a side whose football has been transformed from the "hoof and hope" of last season to a far more attractive style. The side look more likely to score than last year and substitutions give hope instead of sometimes the dread of last year.

I think more importantly the management team seem to be developing a reputation as a place to send youngsters out on loan. Bristol City appear to have been impressed with how County handled Shawn McCoulsky last season and that has led to the loan of Bakinson, Semenyo and Pring. I'm in little doubt that Brighton will be lending us another player either come January or next season after the way that White was developed last season. Even Cardiff seem to have offered a better calibre of loan this time.

And finally I think we need to enjoy our management team. The transformation in the playing side will have an element of luck to them because you'll never know how a group of players will interact with each other until you put them all together, but they seem to have done some homework and pursued their targets aggressively if you believe the media reporting. I think Flynn et al will not be looking for advancement in the short term because Flynn recognises that he's still learning his trade and mistakes made will be more easily forgiven here as he is a local boy done good. He is Manager of a team that is currently achieving his goals (stay up, consolidate first full season, aim for play-off positions second season) and outwardly the players aren't causing him too many problems. The grass isn't always greener on the other side of the fence. I hope he recognises that he can cultivate as a good a lawn where he is through sensible cultivation...
Accurate appraisal i believe. Would also stress different style of football due to the different qualities and abilities of the change in personnel. Long may it continue. Lan y Sir

OLDCROMWELLIAN wrote:
wattsville_boy wrote:Sure 2nd in the division is great but lets just enjoy things for what they are. County are a side whose football has been transformed from the "hoof and hope" of last season to a far more attractive style. The side look more likely to score than last year and substitutions give hope instead of sometimes the dread of last year.

Accurate appraisal i believe. Would also stress different style of football due to the different qualities and abilities of the change in personnel. Long may it continue. Lan y Sir
The pitch is also a big factor. Prior to last season the groundstaff’s inability to prepare a fit for purpose surface dictated long ball football. Cardiff, Bristol etc are more likely to loan us players now that we train and play on decent pitches where the risk of injury is reduced.

faerun exile wrote:
OLDCROMWELLIAN wrote:

The pitch is also a big factor. Prior to last season the groundstaff’s inability to prepare a fit for purpose surface dictated long ball football. Cardiff, Bristol etc are more likely to loan us players now that we train and play on decent pitches where the risk of injury is reduced.
A little hard on the groundstaff who do a fantastic job on what must be the most used sportsground in the UK? They couldn't do much with what they had.

ButchersDog wrote:
Caerleon Exile wrote:Excellent win, great to get our first away win of the season. Port Vale is a tricky place to go so happy with that. Oldham next week will be a much tougher test.

Mansfield L (8th)
Exeter D (9th)
Crewe W (14th)
Port Vale W (19th)
Grimsby W (20th)
Notts County W (24th)
A big part of the reason that of those above that are in the bottom half is because we beat them...
After 6 games any of those teams could have lost to us and still had 15 points from winning the other 5 matches. None of the ones we've beaten (inc Cambridge in EFL Cup) are in the top half. We're in a very false position - unless the Mansfield game was a blip.