Re: Win bonuses go up if in top 2

A slight detour from the subject matter but when Rick Wright owned Cardiff City he had a system in place where the admission price for home games was reflected by the position of the team in the division. It struck me at the time that seemed quite a sensible approach - you pay more to see a winning side than one struggling but perhaps the economics of the system is wrong, in that with less fans attending you possibly need to charge more.

I doubt many on the forum would be against win bonuses and an increase in these win bonuses when the club is in the automatic promotion positions seems a sensible concept. Perhaps after 6 games is a little early for it to kick in but anything that has the potential to have an effect on results has to be commended.

Apologies the Rick Wright idea was mentioned because I was going to advocate the idea of a sliding scale concept for win bonuses depending on where that result puts you in the division - and then forgot to do so. However, like the economics of sliding scale admission prices, the economics is possibly again wrong. If you're at the bottom scrapping to stay up then any payments for positive results have to higher than if you're playing a "dead rubber" in mid table.

wattsville_boy wrote:Apologies the Rick Wright idea was mentioned because I was going to advocate the idea of a sliding scale concept for win bonuses depending on where that result puts you in the division - and then forgot to do so. However, like the economics of sliding scale admission prices, the economics is possibly again wrong. If you're at the bottom scrapping to stay up then any payments for positive results have to higher than if you're playing a "dead rubber" in mid table.
A lot of teams have schemes similar to this.

I don't think overspending on bonuses is something we need to be worrying about too much. Whilst I'm delighted we're second, we haven't beaten a side this season that's currently in the top half, which makes the draw at 8th placed Exeter probably our best result, and we got humped 3-0 by the team in 7th. Looking at goal difference and the teams we've beaten and not beaten so far, we're realistically looking somewhere around 9th-11th again (which is fine). Of course if it turns out that Mansfield was the glitch then we might outperform that, but we've barely even got a positive goal difference, so let's not go nuts.

Having said that, I'd rather be us than 22 others right now. :)