Re: Bury v Grimsby

Alan G Bryant wrote:Apparently this game is being streamed live on ifollow despite being a Saturday. The reason being that it is a not a full football league programme.
Will our game also be streamed, anyone know?
If the staff don't know what chance do rest of us stand?

Saturday’s Sky Bet League Two clash at Bury will be streamed live in the UK on iFollow Mariners.

Improved production values are being implemented across the online broadcasting service his season, with Radio Humberside commentary as well as on-screen graphics. Additional enhancements to iFollow include more in-game statistics via the app, mobile/desktop websites and an improved match centre.

Alan G Bryant wrote:Apparently this game is being streamed live on ifollow despite being a Saturday. The reason being that it is a not a full football league programme.
Will our game also be streamed, anyone know?
Try to buy a pass, if the option for a one match pass is available in the UK, there's a good chance it will be available to view.
I intend to be watching from Denmark as it will be available abroad, different pass options are available based on geography of IP address, usually you can't buy a one match pass in UK for Saturday games.

A good thread here on Twitter about why this new development by the EFL is short-termist, misguided and against the long-term interests of lower-league clubs.

Seriously, what the hell are the Football League playing at now by steamrollering this through without giving member clubs a chance to discuss the implications? As always with Shaun Harvey and his motley crew, they're only concerned about trousering a few more quid for their organisation, even if it f***s over their membership. It cannot possibly be a good thing for lower league clubs to let their Saturday games be broadcast domestically, or for the sacred Saturday 3-5pm blackout to be eroded.

But hey, what do we know - we're only supporters, right?

Kairdiff Exile wrote:A good thread here on Twitter about why this new development by the EFL is short-termist, misguided and against the long-term interests of lower-league clubs.

Seriously, what the hell are the Football League playing at now by steamrollering this through without giving member clubs a chance to discuss the implications? As always with Shaun Harvey and his motley crew, they're only concerned about trousering a few more quid for their organisation, even if it f***s over their membership. It cannot possibly be a good thing for lower league clubs to let their Saturday games be broadcast domestically, or for the sacred Saturday 3-5pm blackout to be eroded.

But hey, what do we know - we're only supporters, right?
What percentage of the ifollow fee does the home club get?

As I understand it, the clubs get £8 from the £10 fee for watching the game - the other £2 goes to the Football League. However, my questions would be: a) does that income offset / outweigh the loss of gate receipts, and b) what are the wider costs?

For example, let's say 100 fans pay £10 to watch online. That equals £800 for the club in iFollow revenue. If I were a club chairman, I'd be asking:

- If the match wasn't available online, could the club have still made that £800 from 30-40 of those fans attending? (a match-going fan would be paying in the region of £20; of the 100 who watched online, some might have watched with a family member etc but otherwise that might have been two match tickets sold per household fee for iFollow)

- What about other revenue streams? What is the average spend per match-attending fan on other items from which the club benefits (branded merch, HT draw tickets, programmes)? How does that affect the figures above?

- What is the impact on match atmosphere by having 100 fewer fan attending? At what point does the dip in attendances because of streaming services deter other fans from coming too because of a loss of atmosphere?

The problem with the Football League is they only look at that initial pile of money they can make from flogging subscriptions. They don't think about those other ancillary issues because they're only interested in the £2 they can make per iFollow fee, which they wouldn't be getting from those going through the turnstiles.

And the ones who will be hit hardest are lower-league sides like ours who have a small 'core support' and are reliant on fair-weather fans who come half a dozen times a season, or on fans of Cardiff, Swansea etc who live locally but come to watch their local side occasionally. As soon as those groups can watch their preferred side at home on their laptop for a tenner, they will (more likely than not) attend fewer County games as a result.

The obvious question that needs answering is what proportion of viewers would have actually attended the game.

While it won't be definitive, a good idea can be gained from examining IP addresses.

The club's will be in much better position to decide what to do in the future with this information than without it.

As a one off this seems to be a good idea if used to better inform similar decisions in the future.

Why are we discussing this now when we've already had one match live streamed and none of you even noticed?

When the match was going on a few people were posting in the live thread and we came to the conclusion I was the only person on here who'd actually paid to watch it!

Quite pleased the club gets 80% though, I was expecting it to be a lot less and that's confirmed my decision to carry on paying for streams.

I can't see it having any impact at all on attendances, if you're near enough to go you'll spend your £20 on being there, if you're not, there's £10 the club can have which it otherwise wouldn't from anyone who wants to stream it.

The £10 difference isn't going to stop more than a handful of people who probably weren't going to go anyway.

I'm now hoping tomorrow's Oldham match isn't available as I've made plans already.

SJG: I can’t speak for others, but for me the line that’s been crossed here is that they’re now screening games at 3pm on a Saturday which has always been sacrosanct.

The excuse is that it’s an international weekend, but to me that’s counter-intuitive: these are the very weekends where lower/non-league clubs should be attracting the casual fans or the ones who usually watch Premiership games. Instead the Football League making it even easier for those individuals to be passive rather than active followers of their local side.

I completely disagree with your argument that “if people are close enough, they’ll pay the extra tenner and go to the ground”. The people about whom we’re talking aren’t the likes of us who post on the message board and can name the squad - it’s the disconnected armchair fans who mostly exist on a diet of TV football. Hitherto, some of those people might have come to watch us half a dozen times a season; now they can just pay half the price and watch us from the comfort of their lounge.

That’s bad news for them (they miss the live experience), bad for the club (less money) and bad news for the rest of us (standing on ever-emptier terraces and wondering how we can win back a generation of lost supporters who think football is a thing that happens on a screen).
Last edited by Kairdiff Exile on September 7th, 2018, 6:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kairdiff Exile wrote:SJG: I can’t speak for others, but for me the line that’s been crossed here is that they’re now screening games at 3pm on a Saturday which has always been sacrosanct.

The excuse is that it’s an international weekend, but to me that’s counter-intuitive: these are the very weekends where lower/non-league clubs should be attracting the casual fans or the ones who usually watch Premiership games. Instead the Football League making it even easier for those individuals to be passive rather than active followers of their local side.

I completely disagree with your argument that “if people are close enough, they’ll pay the extra tenner and go to the ground”. The people about whom we’re talking aren’t the likes of us who post on the message board and can name the squad - it’s the disconnected armchair fans who mostly exist on a diet of TV football. Hitherto, some of those people might have come to watch us half a dozen times a season; now they can just pay half the price and watch us from the comfort of their lounge.

That’s bad news for them (they miss the live experience), bad for the club (less money) and bad news for the rest of us (standing on ever-emptier terraces and wondering how we can win back a generation of lost supporters who think football is a thing that happens on a screen).
I think you overestimate the number of times armchair fans go to matches full stop.