Re: Oldham v County.

Yes indeed. The ever enduring beauty of any sport is when the underdog beats the so called 'big boys'. As for respect from the opposition supporters for Newport County , personally I hope they continue to disrespect and underrate us. Long may it continue. I doubt Yeovil will make that mistake though.

OldhamInPeace wrote:I honestly think those possession stats are wrong because I cannot for the life of me remember anything in the second half Newport wise other than the goal on the break.

Crawley who we beat last week were absolutely toss and they've turned up at Lincoln. If Jose Baxter starts for us today and your CB is sent off for his stamp then its a different game.

The approach you took made it look like you were there for a point, you had everyone back whenever we looked to go forward even when it was 0-0.

Best of luck for the season but if we're not in at least the play-offs at the end of the season we should fold immediately.
Newport County putting everyone at the back when Oldham are on the break doesn’t necessarily mean county were there just for a point.
If those tactics mean county defended well and then scored.... well that’s good positive tactics executed.

Well done county.

Micheal wrote:i didnt know port vale and oldham were big teams i been watching footy all my life and thats news to me
Size is always relative isn't it (perhaps we should ask Einstein?) . Obviously compared with us Port Vale and Oldham see themselves as big teams. Of course compared with their neighbours within their respective conurbations they are minnows.

As we know size isn't everything. I being trying to convince my wife of that for over 40 years.

Micheal wrote:i didnt know port vale and oldham were big teams i been watching footy all my life and thats news to me
Size is always relative isn't it (perhaps we should ask Einstein?) . Obviously compared with us Port Vale and Oldham see themselves as big teams. Of course compared with their neighbours within their respective conurbations they are minnows.

As we know size isn't everything. I being trying to convince my wife of that for over 40 years.

OLDCROMWELLIAN wrote:

It took me longer to write my piece than it did you yours...

You have to define what you mean by "big".

They've generally had/have better drawing power than we have, so I guess that makes them "bigger" than us.

And they have bigger stadia than we do, so I suppose that's another "bigger" string to their bows.

And they've both spent longer at higher elechons of the league than us, and so I guess that makes them "bigger" than us in some respects (but yes, they are tier 4 clubs, just like we are).

And Oldham have been to the top of the pile (in the early 1990s), spending 3 or 4 seasons there. So yes, Oldham are "bigger" than us (were "bigger" in truth).

But big as in the case of the top London and northern English clubs in terms of history and pulling power? Well no, they aren't big at all (even when Oldham were in the premier league they were the "minnows").

But they generally both have better histories than us, and with that some of their supporters have delusions of former grandeur now they find themselves having to dirty their feet in tier 4.

But I daresay we also have supporters in the past who have said as a big former league club we shouldn't be losing to such and such a "tinpot" club. Indeed, I know we have them.

FGR then and now anyone?

Didn't we also beat Pompey at Fratton Park 3 seasons in a row ??
They're a bit bigger than us , too !

Oh ...... and we held Spurs to 1-1 recently ?
Obviously our tactics are all wrong and we shouldn't be allowed to defend when the opposition are attacking :roll:

Oldham ..... get over it !

OldhamInPeace wrote:I honestly think those possession stats are wrong because I cannot for the life of me remember anything in the second half Newport wise other than the goal on the break.

Crawley who we beat last week were absolutely toss and they've turned up at Lincoln. If Jose Baxter starts for us today and your CB is sent off for his stamp then its a different game.

The approach you took made it look like you were there for a point, you had everyone back whenever we looked to go forward even when it was 0-0.

Best of luck for the season but if we're not in at least the play-offs at the end of the season we should fold immediately.

Likewise if Harris had started for us it would have been a different game.

As for the stamp , I was sat right in line with the incident and it was your number 9 who held on to Franks leg to try and provoke a reaction as he was on a yellow, all Franks did was wriggle free.

Can I please suggest that if you have the time you to and have a look on the Oldham forum. Truly wonderful stuff. Some there are blaming their loss to us on Brexit!!

You just couldn't make this stuff up. Absolutely bloody brilliant. Little old Newport County responsible for Brexit. Oldham fans - more please, you are helping to make my weekend. Love it, love it, love it.

SwanseaJack wrote:

Newport County putting everyone at the back when Oldham are on the break doesn’t necessarily mean county were there just for a point.
If those tactics mean county defended well and then scored.... well that’s good positive tactics executed.

Well done county.
Quite agree Jack. County putting everyone behind the ball when Oldham have it is the best possible compliment that MF could have. He is doing something right.

Rule 14 of the football coaches manual. When the opposition have the ball, defend as a team.

It is wonderful when people attempt to hurl an insult when in actual fact it is a compliment.

Great result. Whatever tactics were applied they appear to have been the right ones. We’ll play to our strengths not the strengths of other teams in the division.

I can see I’m going to have make the journey down to Newport again on Saturday - I can’t face missing games at the moment and it would be good to see Gary Warren again.