Re: Lenny Pidgeley retires

Willthiswork wrote:
DT1892 wrote:That statement from Farnborough is disgraceful. No wonder there's still such a stigma around mental health.

Wish him all the best in whatever he does next, club legend. Would be great to have the board invite him down for a game at least, as others have said.
I don't understand why you say the statement is disgraceful? They were just informing the fans of what was happening and never mentioned any mental health issues.
Don't think that describing the timing as 'shocking' is at all appropriate when someone has retired due to their health.
"Lenny Pidgeley informed us this afternoon that due to a ‘significant long term personal medical condition’ he is retiring from football with immediate effect.

This is the first anyone at the club was aware of the condition and although the timing is shocking we wish Lenny and his family all the best in his retirement."
Take out the bit in bold and the statement is fine.

newgroundrodney wrote:Come and have a goalkeeping coaching job at Newport Lennie.... Come home son, we'll look after you, give you purpose, structure, encouragement and whatever else you need to get through. Come home son!
Agreed completely. As some point this weekend I'm going to sign up for twitter and send lenny a photo of me and my boy enjoying football league matches.

Planning on accompanying it with a message saying "without you this wouldn't have been possible".

He played a massive part in that promotion winning side and I'd love for us to offer him an olive branch.

Exile 1976 wrote:Absolute legend. Gutted for him and just watched the Play Off final (yet again) which imo was one of the finest goalkeeping displays I've ever seen. Hope you beat those demons Sir Lenny
Dear Exile..Lenny is not possessed with Demons, he has health issues,no disrespect to your concern. I also have the same condition and am fortunate to have a creative ability in various media that helps me through the day and for which I am eternally grateful.
I also tweeted a reply to Surrey News who totally ommited to mention Lennie's Newport fame (my tweet was polite)

Willthiswork wrote:
DT1892 wrote:That statement from Farnborough is disgraceful. No wonder there's still such a stigma around mental health.

Wish him all the best in whatever he does next, club legend. Would be great to have the board invite him down for a game at least, as others have said.
I don't understand why you say the statement is disgraceful? They were just informing the fans of what was happening and never mentioned any mental health issues.
You think that the below isn't a disgraceful way to put it?
Lenny Pidgeley informed us this afternoon that due to a ‘significant long term personal medical condition’ he is retiring from football with immediate effect.

This is the first anyone at the club was aware of the condition and although the timing is shocking we wish Lenny and his family all the best in his retirement.

The Club would like to clarify its Statement of Wednesday evening.
Specifically, that our comment about the shocking timing, referred to us being shocked regarding the sad information we received on that afternoon, whilst preparing for our FA Cup Replay.

With no goalkeeper available that night we owed the fans an explanation before kick-off, which due to the timings on the night was drafted in haste and did not convey our true thoughts accurately.

The Club fully backs the support and care required in dealing with all mental health issues and meant no harm to Lenny and sincerely apologise for any hurt. This was not our intention.

The Club will make no further comment.