Re: Supporters trust, open meeting 20th Sept

Of course we should work with both the Dragons and Newport Council to gain a foothold at RP.
But in all reality why do we suddenly think this might happen, literally months after the best chance to secure a stadium for the city for both sports was passed up without a murmur by both us (as we're skint) and the council (ditto, plus useless).
The WRU now own the ground and have whip hand, and to buy the same facility but with a better pitch will probably cost us double what we could of got it for months ago, so even more unfeasable.
I truly hope rumours I have heard that the Council are in talks to re-build the leisure centre on the 'old cabbage patch are true' but I wouldn't live in hope on it, but that's personal.
It would be great if an investor/sugar daddy got on board, and am sure the trust board are open to the right people, but again, we can only live in hope.
However, there are some facts we can work with:
We can build the trust to be much better at what it's supposed to do, which is put in more money as all the other trust run clubs manage to do. I for one, trust this board (though not perfect) they are actually having success, they are honest, and they put their time and effort as well as cash where there mouth is.
Until a fairy god mothers and grants us all our wishes, I will follow the only logical conclusion and put more of my money into the club. It can be a small drop in the ocean, but the more of us who do it, the better chance the club has of not going bust and even thriving, and let's hear amen to that.
So until someone comes up with the perfect scenario rather than pontificating about it, I would say, join in - jump on board and build our trust, if you want change do it from within.
UTC

The NCFC Hippy wrote:Of course we should work with both the Dragons and Newport Council to gain a foothold at RP.
But in all reality why do we suddenly think this might happen, literally months after the best chance to secure a stadium for the city for both sports was passed up without a murmur by both us (as we're skint) and the council (ditto, plus useless).
The WRU now own the ground and have whip hand, and to buy the same facility but with a better pitch will probably cost us double what we could of got it for months ago, so even more unfeasable.
I truly hope rumours I have heard that the Council are in talks to re-build the leisure centre on the 'old cabbage patch are true' but I wouldn't live in hope on it, but that's personal.
It would be great if an investor/sugar daddy got on board, and am sure the trust board are open to the right people, but again, we can only live in hope.
However, there are some facts we can work with:
We can build the trust to be much better at what it's supposed to do, which is put in more money as all the other trust run clubs manage to do. I for one, trust this board (though not perfect) they are actually having success, they are honest, and they put their time and effort as well as cash where there mouth is.
Until a fairy god mothers and grants us all our wishes, I will follow the only logical conclusion and put more of my money into the club. It can be a small drop in the ocean, but the more of us who do it, the better chance the club has of not going bust and even thriving, and let's hear amen to that.
So until someone comes up with the perfect scenario rather than pontificating about it, I would say, join in - jump on board and build our trust, if you want change do it from within.
UTC

That's an excellent post.

I agree with you about passing up an opportunity to buy the stadium, it's particularly galling to read today that the council expenditure on a gypsy site in ringland has now exceeded £3m.

As I it the cabbage patch /old club house area was being looked at for hotel/bars/restaurants and the leisure centre.
If so that would involve the local authority as a stakeholder and hopefully secure thte future of RP as a sporting venue on the land that remains.
So, hopefully that would stop The Dragons moving ( bad news for us if they did) and again hopefully would allow us to enter into a future agreement to stay at RP with the WRU benefiting from our income. Newport RFC don't contribute to WRU( unless I am wrong) , and the Dragons don't really play many home games, so I guess our expenditure is of some value to the WRU

Threadbare wrote:As I it the cabbage patch /old club house area was being looked at for hotel/bars/restaurants and the leisure centre.
If so that would involve the local authority as a stakeholder and hopefully secure thte future of RP as a sporting venue on the land that remains.
So, hopefully that would stop The Dragons moving ( bad news for us if they did) and again hopefully would allow us to enter into a future agreement to stay at RP with the WRU benefiting from our income. Newport RFC don't contribute to WRU( unless I am wrong) , and the Dragons don't really play many home games, so I guess our expenditure is of some value to the WRU
Some good points there. I personally dodn't see the dragons moving anytime soon, if as i believe they are compiling plans to redevelop the 'cabbage patch' along the lines you mentioned. Hardly the actions of a club possibly re-locating in the near future. Also i seem to recall that NRFC were granted permission to play at RP rent free for 10years from the time the WRU took possession.

SJG99 wrote:
Stan A. Einstein wrote:There are only two choices.

Work with Dragons and Newport City Council to share Rodney Parade as a shared Newport facility. Or return to Spytty and Conference South.
Which is strange, as I'm fairly sure I recall us playing in the Conference at Spytty...
We may have the odd season at Tier 5. But oddly I can recall relegation to Tier 7 at Spytty. We will find a level at tier 6 at Spytty.

Now stop trying to be sarcastic, if you want to debate great, if you want to try being sarcastic with me you're way out of your league.

OLDCROMWELLIAN wrote:
Threadbare wrote:As I it the cabbage patch /old club house area was being looked at for hotel/bars/restaurants and the leisure centre.
Some good points there. I personally dodn't see the dragons moving anytime soon, if as i believe they are compiling plans to redevelop the 'cabbage patch' along the lines you mentioned. Hardly the actions of a club possibly re-locating in the near future. Also i seem to recall that NRFC were granted permission to play at RP rent free for 10years from the time the WRU took possession.
Wrong.It was as long as the Dragons play there.

OLDCROMWELLIAN wrote:
Stan A. Einstein wrote:There are only two choices.

Work with Dragons and Newport City Council to share Rodney Parade as a shared Newport facility. Or return to Spytty and Conference South.
Are you of the opinion then that the dragons will be staying in Newport for the foreseeable future? Obviously some are convinced they, or indeed RP as a sports venue, will not survive much longer.

The threat that they might not be might be a reason for Dragons to need to work with us.