Re: Exiles Grandstand: Tranmere Away

excessbee wrote:My take on the 'Bennett in midfield' thing is that yesterday, it was the best solution, given the players available. We were without Crofts, Marsh-Brown and Willmott, but had a replacement for Bennett in defence.
Totally agree with that. Flynn didn’t have a lot of choice given Croft’s absence did he? I wonder how long the Achilles injury will keep him out, these injuries can be tricky. Be madness to play him while there’s swelling on it.

Stan A. Einstein wrote:
Corpaboy wrote:Corky .... when will you EVER be happy with a County result and when will you EVER have faith with a qualified football coach picking a side to go out and win a football match ???
You call Flynny "predictable" , yet some really well paid , experienced football managers can't work out how we are currently 3rd in League 2 .

Have you ever thought of applying for the Welsh National Team Coach's job ??
Here's an idea to bring peace and harmony to this board. Indeed this post exemplifies why so many threads degenerate into rows.

I don't comment on the rights or wrong of what Neal says but Corps just isn't listening. I am sure Neal is very happy with the result. His point is that in his view Bennett is being played out of position. Now you can agree or disagree with that.

In short when will Corps EVER stop shouting and start listening? :grin:
I ain't the one shouting , Brendan !!
Corky posted just after the line up was announced that he was "glad he stayed home because Flynny is predictable with his selections". Of course , Neal is entitled to his opinion the same as any man , woman or child .
I'm sure he is glad that we win . I just wish he would actually SAY he's happy after a win for once .

And then you accuse people of turning threads in to petty arguments ?? YOU ??? Mr Einstein accusing others of ruining threads ???

Well ... I've heard it all now .... :lol:

Cornish Exile wrote:
Threadbare wrote:Have to agree with Neil.
Midfield is not Bennett's best position and I also believe he is correct about the Exeter/ Notts Co move.
Still, he played in the role today and got us a result. Good to have a solid pro in the squad.
Which gives Mike Flynn a pleasant dilemma. Four first class centre backs competing for three places.And people were saying how much we would miss Ben White.
Four (first class) centre backs competing for three places merely highlights how small the squad is. And possibly how important it might be to give Foulston some game time before injuries strike and MF is forced to use him as a necessity.

I think a small squad also answers Corky's criticism of MF being predictable. He has to play pretty much the same players week in week out because he hasn't great resources to work with. I do accept part of his criticisms also encompass MF seemingly having "favourites" that don't get dropped no matter how poorly they play, a point which seems to have some veracity, but many Managers appear to have this "blind spot" in selection of teams.

girl saturday wrote:
Cornish Exile wrote:As I understand it we played three at the back, O'Brien, Franks and Demetrieu, with Tyler Forbes and Butler wing backs and Bennett the holding mid-fielder, a position he occupied on many occasions at Exeter.

They didn't do too badly did they.
Ditto (why would people assume a flat back four?)
That's probably my fault. When we warmed up, we went through all of the defensive routines with just Franks, O'Brien, Demetriou and Butler involved making it look like that would be our defence. Forbes warmed up and went through routines with the midfield.

I posted something well before kick off reflecting this.

We of course cam out and played the usual back 3/5. I tend not to post during matches as I'd rather watch the game than be on the internet.

I've not noticed us do this before but am usually entering the ground just as the players go back into the changing rooms at the end of the warm up.

Bennett is best in a back three,he looks solid there.His next best is CB in a four although his lack of pace can be a problem then.His other option is DM and I agree that this is his weaker position although he was superb against Leeds and Spurs playing there.I did get to speak to him at the shop launch and I asked which is his favoured position and he said CB but he'll play where the boss wants him to play.

Yesterday we had better centre backs available, we didn't have better central midfielders available. Flynn made the correct and pretty obvious decision over where to play Bennett for this match.

Bennett played very well often leading the defensive side of our game closing down players further up the pitch than Dolan and Bakinson and rarely being used to sit in front of the defence.

Perhaps you had to be there to see the full benefit of that decision.

We also had a clear policy of not closing down their central defenders when they had the ball allowing them to play the simple ball or the long hoof neither of which troubled us. Another tactic that worked very well on the day.

Stan A. Einstein wrote:
Corpaboy wrote:Corky .... when will you EVER be happy with a County result and when will you EVER have faith with a qualified football coach picking a side to go out and win a football match ???
You call Flynny "predictable" , yet some really well paid , experienced football managers can't work out how we are currently 3rd in League 2 .

Have you ever thought of applying for the Welsh National Team Coach's job ??
Here's an idea to bring peace and harmony to this board. Indeed this post exemplifies why so many threads degenerate into rows.

I don't comment on the rights or wrong of what Neal says but Corps just isn't listening. I am sure Neal is very happy with the result. His point is that in his view Bennett is being played out of position. Now you can agree or disagree with that.

In short when will Corps EVER stop shouting and start listening? :grin:
This made me smile..! :grin:

Stan, perhaps you should change your name to Stan A. Kissinger.